And now for something completely different: "Tintin" office pool

Orionblamblam said:
I'm still waiting for that sequel to "John Carter." I think I'll be waiting for a while.

*sighs* That movie, though not exceptional by any stretch of the imagination, was entertaining. Far worse scripts have gotten sequels. Too bad it lost so much money, i would have gone to see a follow up.

Orionblamblam said:
Michel Van said:
Seems $373,993,951 is not enough to get a Sequel,

$374 million is a lot of money, but not much of a return on a $135M investment... especially with the skewed national results.

I'm still waiting for that sequel to "John Carter." I think I'll be waiting for a while.

So much i want a sequel to "John Carter", that movie was not very... what ?
Nothing in this movie worked right, the scrip, the actors, the Action or the Humor.
People expected spectacular (voluptuous) space opera and got old fashion story from last century
In fact that book were movie based is from 1912...

Nowadays show movie like Thor: Ragnarok and Guardians of Galaxy Vol 1&2, how space opera is done right !

Justo Miranda said:
I prefer comics ;)
Me too, if there made right...

AeroFranz said:
Orionblamblam said:

*sighs* That movie, though not exceptional by any stretch of the imagination, was entertaining. Far worse scripts have gotten sequels. Too bad it lost so much money, i would have gone to see a follow up.

"John Carter" is a master class in how to *not* market a movie. Careers were lost and books written about how managerial screwups trashed that movies chances. Heck, just the *title* was a disaster. By rights it should have been "A Princess of Mars," after the first book. A good practical title would have been "John Carter of Mars," which IIRC it had early on in development. But just "John Carter?" It tells the average person *nothing.* Sounds boring.

https://www.amazon.com/John-Carter-Hollywood-Michael-Sellers/dp/0615682316/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

<i>How did Disney's film become a calamity of historic proportions? Michael Sellers, a Hollywood filmmaker himself, saw the disaster approaching and fought to save the project - but without success. In John Carter and the Gods of Hollywood, Sellers details every blunder and betrayal that led to the doom of the motion picture - and that left countless Hollywood careers in the wreckage.</i>

Disney spent a whopping $300 - $350 million on "John Carter" and made something like $73 million US, $211 million worldwide. Which means Disney saw approximately $73M/2 + $211M/4 = $89.25M. Which means Disney lost AT LEAST $210 million, probably substantially more. Disney had planed for "John Carter" to be the first of a trilogy, but those sequel plans were quickly scrapped and the movie rights have reverted to the Burroughs estate.