Register here

Author Topic: And now for something completely different: "Tintin" office pool  (Read 17625 times)

Offline Justo Miranda

• Secret Projects Master
  • CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: And now for something completely different: "Tintin" office pool
« Reply #75 on: April 24, 2018, 06:11:11 am »
Hi :)

Offline Archibald

« Reply #76 on: April 24, 2018, 10:08:42 am »
Boy, this thread is awesome.
Conservatoire de l'Air et de l'Espace d'Aquitaine - Bordeaux - Mérignac / Dassault aviation museum
http://www.caea.info/en/plan.php

Offline Orionblamblam

• Secret Projects Guru
  • Top Contributor
    • Aerospace Projects Review
« Reply #77 on: April 24, 2018, 11:29:11 am »
For what it's worth, seven years later the box office boils down to:
Domestic:     $77,591,831       20.7%
+ Foreign:     $296,402,120       79.3%
= Worldwide:     $373,993,951    

The question always was "how well does this big budget Hollywood movie do in the US," because the studio gets a higher percentage of the take from US box office than from elsewhere... IIRC, the studio gets half of the US, a quarter of the foreign. So the studio would have gotten about $38.8M  + $74.1M = $112.9 M. The budget was a whopping $135 million, and in general movies are assumed to spend as much on marketing as on production, so the movie probably cost the studio something like $270M. So by standard Hollywood accounting, it lost something like $157M. Of course, Hollywood accounting is more akin to black magic and outright lies, so who can say. And of course DVD and BluRay sales can make a bomb into a success later.

But *now* the question is becoming less "how well does it do in the US" and more "how well does it do in China." So if there's a sequel, expect it to be tweaked accordingly, either with overall plot changes (like with Transformers: Extinction), or with major portions that can swap in and out for the different markets (like one of the later Iron Man movies that had scenes shot specifically for the Chinese release). Somehow I suspect any plot elements that have Japan colonizing China will be juuuuuuuuuust a little different...
Aerospace Projects Review

And so the endless circle of life comes to an end, meaningless and grim. Why did they live, and why did they die? No reason. Two hundred million years of evolution snuffed out, for in the end Nature is horrific and teaches us nothing

Offline Michel Van

« Reply #78 on: April 24, 2018, 12:31:22 pm »
congratulation, Justo Miranda
this is excellent work and very hilarious

on Orionblamblam remark

Seems $373,993,951 is not enough to get a Sequel, seven years past and nothing happen 
YUPPIE !
Because i still hate that movie, i try several time to watch but i change channel or watch Netflix instead...
I love Strange Technology

Offline Orionblamblam

• Secret Projects Guru
  • Top Contributor
« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2018, 02:00:07 pm »

Seems $373,993,951 is not enough to get a Sequel,

$374 million is a lot of money, but not much of a return on a $135M investment... especially with the skewed national results.

I'm still waiting for that sequel to "John Carter." I think I'll be waiting for a while.

And so the endless circle of life comes to an end, meaningless and grim. Why did they live, and why did they die? No reason. Two hundred million years of evolution snuffed out, for in the end Nature is horrific and teaches us nothing

Offline AeroFranz

• Aerospace Engineer
  • Top Contributor
« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2018, 07:31:05 am »
I'm still waiting for that sequel to "John Carter." I think I'll be waiting for a while.

*sighs* That movie, though not exceptional by any stretch of the imagination, was entertaining. Far worse scripts have gotten sequels. Too bad it lost so much money, i would have gone to see a follow up.
All modern aircraft have four dimensions: span, length, height and politics.   TSR.2 got the first three right - Sir Sydney Camm

Offline Justo Miranda

• Secret Projects Master
« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2018, 08:19:02 am »
I prefer comics ;)

Offline Michel Van

« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2018, 08:55:34 am »

Seems $373,993,951 is not enough to get a Sequel,

$374 million is a lot of money, but not much of a return on a $135M investment... especially with the skewed national results.

So much i want a sequel to "John Carter", that movie was not very... what ?
Nothing in this movie worked right, the scrip, the actors, the Action or the Humor.
People expected spectacular (voluptuous) space opera and got old fashion story from last century
In fact that book were movie based is from 1912...

Nowadays show movie like Thor: Ragnarok and Guardians of Galaxy Vol 1&2, how space opera is done right !

I prefer comics ;)
Me too, if there made right...
I love Strange Technology

Offline Orionblamblam

• Secret Projects Guru
  • Top Contributor
« Reply #83 on: April 25, 2018, 01:33:45 pm »

*sighs* That movie, though not exceptional by any stretch of the imagination, was entertaining. Far worse scripts have gotten sequels. Too bad it lost so much money, i would have gone to see a follow up.

"John Carter" is a master class in how to *not* market a movie. Careers were lost and books written about how managerial screwups trashed that movies chances. Heck, just the *title* was a disaster. By rights it should have been "A Princess of Mars," after the first book. A good practical title would have been "John Carter of Mars," which IIRC it had early on in development. But just "John Carter?" It tells the average person *nothing.* Sounds boring.

https://www.amazon.com/John-Carter-Hollywood-Michael-Sellers/dp/0615682316/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

How did Disney's film become a calamity of historic proportions?  Michael Sellers, a Hollywood filmmaker himself, saw the disaster approaching and fought to save the project - but without success. In John Carter and the Gods of Hollywood, Sellers details every blunder and betrayal that led to the doom of the motion picture - and that left countless Hollywood careers in the wreckage.

Disney spent a whopping $300 - $350 million on "John Carter" and made something like $73 million US,  $211 million worldwide. Which means Disney saw approximately $73M/2 + $211M/4 = $89.25M. Which means Disney lost AT LEAST $210 million, probably substantially more. Disney had planed for "John Carter" to be the first of a trilogy, but those sequel plans were quickly scrapped and the movie rights have reverted to the Burroughs estate.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 02:12:28 pm by Orionblamblam »