And now for something completely different: "Tintin" office pool

Orionblamblam

ACCESS: USAP
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Website
www.aerospaceprojectsreview.com
How's this: "The Adventures of Tintin" has been showing around the world for a while now. According to boxofficemojo.com, to date it has made $221 million. It opens in the US on December 21. How much will it make here by, say, January 21? My guess is it won't break $50 million, with chances being good it won't make it to $35 million.

Why do I expect such low returns in the US? Simple: What the hell is a "Tintin?"

50500_248484974190_5732832_n.jpg

Orionblamblam said:
Why do I expect such low returns in the US? Simple: What the hell is a "Tintin?"

Are you saying that Tintin, which has been translated in hundreds of languages and dialects around the world, and is one of the most famous comics in the world, has never reached the U.S. of A.?? I'm surprised.

Well, for a start, the movie is done by Steven Spielberg, and was his dream project for 30 years. I guarantee you get your money's worth watching it, even you don't know the characters, because it's simply thrilling from a visual viewpoint. I have seen CG and I have seen 3D used in various movies before, but this one takes them to another level.

I not gona see this Movie because

Tintin_and_Snowy.png

This is Tin Tin

This is NOT Tintin
The_Adventures_of_Tintin_-_Secret_of_the_Unicorn.jpg

about "What the hell is a "Tintin?" and "has been translated in hundreds of languages"
wat Comics read the US majority?
Marvel
Marvelwolverine.jpg

DC
Batman_Lee.png

you get the Picture ? ;D

so how will the Box office grossing be ?
if this Movie is push in more 4000 theaters it will made more then $80 million Dollar in US.
Because on Movie poster stand in big letter STEVEN SPIELBERG & PETER JACKSON

I would actively encourage anyone with a shred of fondness for the boy detective to avoid this movie like the plague.

If you enjoyed the monkey scene in Indy 4 then this is the film for you. Both of you.

Ah, come on folks. No movie adaptation will ever be quite up to the task for die-hard fans of a book or a comic series.

I think the purpose here is to start an interest in Tintin with the younger generations. A film like this can be (and actually IS) an incentive to read the stuff. My 7-year-old asks me to read all the Tintin albums with him before going to bed now. Before the movie he didn't care much. He'd seen the cartoons, enjoyed them, but that was that.

If you search for every inconsistency or difference in the plot between the books and the movie, of course you will be disappointed. If you take it as ONE possible version of Tintin (just like there have been MANY versions of Superman, Batman, Spider-Man and so forth, not necessarily in line with the books) there can and hopefully WILL be other interpretations. What matters is that the legend remains and is revived by each adaptation. It doesn't weaken it, it makes it stronger.

All I can say is if you go and watch Tintin with no preconceived ideas, a genuine taste for entertainment and a desire to break from the routine of Hollywood's blockbusters, you won't be disappointed.

I've seen it. Want *more*! When can I expect the sequel?

Stargazer2006 said:
Are you saying that Tintin, which has been translated in hundreds of languages and dialects around the world, and is one of the most famous comics in the world, has never reached the U.S. of A.??

It got here, but it doesn't seem to have made much impact. I first heard of "Tintin" about 20 years ago when Ron Millers "Dream Machines" came out, mentioning the moon rocket. Other than that, I've not heard of Tintin since, except in reference to this movie.

Michel Van said:
Because on Movie poster stand in big letter STEVEN SPIELBERG & PETER JACKSON

Ummm...
lovelybones_poster.jpg
MV5BMTM1MzkyNzQ3OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDk1NTg2NQ@@._V1._SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg
MV5BMjE2MzU3Nzk4M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODcxNTI5Mw@@._V1._SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg

All three of these made their money back, but none were spectacular blockbusters.

I could be very wrong about how Tintin does in the States, but it just doesn't seem like a winner. It's not a well-known property, it just plain looks goofy, and the title *screams* "this is a movie for little children."

Tintin? Not really known here unless you took junior-high-school French.

But this guy? Epic.

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    7.3 KB · Views: 323
It's not a well-known property, it just plain looks goofy, and the title *screams* "this is a movie for little children".
Check. Check. And check. I still like it. It's fun.

Honestly I don't like adaptions of comics, a bad example (for me) was "Asterix and Obelix" and
those like "Captain America" in my opinion didn't anything to improve this genre.
Nevertheless, I really enjoyed this one ! That it's not a blockbuster in the US, I can well believe,
but here in Germany it sold quite well I think. Of course, commercial success isn't really an
indicator for a good movie. And that the title ".. *screams* "this is a movie for little children.",
I think is true, but it's based on the title of the original comic. In countries, where the comics were
(and are) successful, I think, the movie's, too, in others probably not.

Tintin was created in Beligum in 1929... The same year as Mickey Mouse and Popeye... This says something about the series' longevity.

Hergé (R.G. = Georges Rémi) made a point of always documenting his books with photos and facts, and so the aircraft that appear in the books are realistic: Heinkels, Arados, Stinsons, Savoia-Marchettis and the likes. In the early 1950s he did the two-parter Objectif Lune / On a marché sur la Lune which was praised worldwide as a visionary's work. In actual fact, Hergé had drawn quite a bit on the props and mechas of the 1950 movie Destination Moon but he managed to make the story so remarkably written that it captivated audiences worldwide. General de Gaulle, who took an active part in liberating occupied France in 1944 and was the President of the French Republic from 1958 to 1969, declared: "My greatest rival is Tintin," acknowledging the impact of the series on French and European audiences.

Hergé's taste for aviation can be seen in the series of large aircraft-themed cards he did during the 1950s as chocolate giveaways. I'm attaching the German series, but he did the Allies too (se the Mustang for instance). I'm also enclosing a tribute picture he did in 1969 after Armstrong and Aldrin landed on the Moon.

Attachments

• Tintin06.jpg
    Tintin06.jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Tintin05.jpg
    Tintin05.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 34
  • Tintin04.jpg
    Tintin04.jpg
    379 KB · Views: 30
  • Tintin03.jpg
    Tintin03.jpg
    374.2 KB · Views: 32
  • Tintin02.jpg
    Tintin02.jpg
    380.7 KB · Views: 33
  • tintin01.jpg
    tintin01.jpg
    392.9 KB · Views: 30
  • chromo.jpg
    chromo.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 41
  • message.jpg
    message.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 39
There was an Adventures of Tintin animated series produced by the BBC that was broadcast in the early 1990s on HBO and then Nickelodeon in the United States. I've also seen the comic books translated into English at my local public library. So I wouldn't say that Tintin is unknown in the United States. I've no idea how popular the movie will be in the United States.

After Han Solo statement that the Millenium Falcon is the fastest starship of the entire galaxy, Obi Wan answer is, “should we have heard about her?”
Scott is right in his initial approach that Tintin is unknown in USA. Reasons for that are well known.
Its creator, Hergé, is suspect of being a sympathizer of Belgian Nazis
  • The title ‘Tintin in America’ presents a very vivid criticism against the north American culture (a country of Indians and gangsters)
  • The title ‘Tintin in the Congo’ shows the black coloured people as stupid guys. Actually, there is currently a pending lawsuit in a Belgian court for this cause.
  • In the title ‘The Shooting Star` (original version) the leader of the bad guys is an unscrupulous millionaire with a Jewish surname and looks.
  • North American distributors and publishers –Walt Disney included- have avoided any relation with Tintin in the last sixty years. And they arguably are very knowledgeable of their business and the mentality of their audience.
As for Spielberg, he has just humiliated Tintin, replacing him by a ballet dancer, in the same way that Luke Skywalker was humiliated by Yoda in Star Wars II.
If Indiana Jones derisively rejects to face an Arabian with a sword -shooting him instead, in the first film- in the second film, he discovers he has no gun and, humiliated, need to run away. The system works like that and it seems to be effective.
The essence of Tintin is the neat line of two dimensional drawings. Give it volume and shade the contours off and you have finished him.
Michael Van has explained it well, the third dimension has a price.

Adventures of Tintin animated series was by Ellipse (France), and Nelvana (Canada) coproduction
(and allot lawyers in there neck in order they stay true full on story and Art)

but there better Animation Movie by Hergé produced himself !
Tintin and the Temple of the Sun

Tintin and the Lake of Sharks

Last edited:
The above animation was only supervised by Hergé from a distance, it doesn't carry the signs of his artistry at all. I'd rather go for the Nelvana stuff, despite Hergé being long dead when it came out, simply because it's a lot more faithful to the spirit of the books. And again, as I said before, Spielberg and Jackson's visual approach does not betray the spirit of the original work. Chances are if Hergé was still alive today he would give the new technologies a chance and use them to advantage.

As to the rumours around Hergé's controversial Tintin albums, what he forgets to say is that the first Tintin albums were published in different times and a different context. "Le Petit Vingtième", which published Tintin, was the weekly children's supplement to Le Vingtième Siècle, a notoriously very right wing Catholic newspaper. You've got to realize that Hergé's work was controlled, to the extent that he had to redraw some stuff even then that the publisher deemed unfit to the moral standards of the day. Belgium was a colonial power and the European public was only beginning to discover African cultures through colonial exhibitions and books by explorers who had a religious and/or political bias. That Hergé's early works betray anti-Communist, colonialist and antisemitic aspects is undeniable, but this simply reflects the opinions of a vast array of people at the time throughout Europe. Propaganda was everywhere and people didn't have the means to verify information as they do now with the internet.

Besides it must be said that Hergé buried the "Soviets" album, redrew some of the controversial scenes in the later albums, and showed a much more humanistic and tolerant approach album after album... All the fuss over the early works is the work of some holier-than-thou, politically correct idiots who want to condemn works they don't agree with, just like dictators used to order books to be burned in the public place.

some note on Stargazer2006 and Justo Miranda remarks

Nelvana wanted to make major changes in graphic of Tintin and produce no Hergé Story
see how they massacre "Blake and Mortimer" by E. P. Jacobs into junk animation
but Foundation Hergé lawyers watched closely how they work

on early work of Hergé
there allegory of there Time, if there now "Critical to Society" or "humiliations humor", today you need a Historian to tell
the album "Land of black Gold" version one start in 1939 in magazine Le Petit Vingtieme
Story: Tintin discovers that someone in his Name start to buy weapons, a doppelganger the Jewish Terrorist Weinstein
and Tintin start to chase him to Palestine, to bring him to justice
the Story was canceled in mid do to invasion of Belgium by the NAZI and overwork and redrawn only in 1950
were Weinstein became Dr J.W. Müller (who look like Lenin)

Hergé was good friend with Léon Degrelle Head of REX, a catholically-fascists Walloon party in Belgium, Very popular 1930s
and he made illustration for there Magazine
but a serious Historian examination of Herge dark past , is hinders by Foundation Hergé lawyers until now.

first week in movie theater and disappointing $39,637,079.00 Gross in US
let see What January brings...

Michel Van said:
first week in movie theater and disappointing $39,637,079.00 Gross in US

It's only been open three days... December 21. According to boxofficemojo, it's made $11.5 million in that time:
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=tintin.htm
I would expect that number will go up substantially once the weekend numbers are in. And the following week school is out, so the kiddies will swarm the theaters.

My sister saw it in London and said it was outstanding. She's neither a kid nor easily impressed, so who knows, it might be worth a look.

I don't think $39 million is a terrible result for a non-"blockbuster". This kind of movie will make most of the money on Netflix/PPV anyway.

for a good blockbuster
the movie hast to made it's productioncost, here US$135 million
and again same cash for the investors = $270 million ($1=>$2)
the more money is a bonus...

Michel Van said:
for a good blockbuster
the movie hast to made it's productioncost,...

.. and the film not only makes money via movie tickets. It also started started "Tim & Struppi" or
"Tintin" as computer and PS3 game and quite probaby the numbers of comics sold will rise again ..
My son, too, today finished a two-and-a-half hour session in front of the computer only after mild
blackmailing, forced to join us on a short Christmas walk ... ???

I so it in Imax and was great time at the movies.It all so has the new Hobbit trailer.

Orionblamblam said:
I saw it today: meh. To me, utterly forgettable. And this was an opinion shared by 100% of the people in the theater... all one of me.

What a surprise. The person who has derided Tintin since the start of this thread has finally seen it and declared he didn't like it. Sounds like you didn't want to like it to or for it to succeed in the first place.
Any real reason for your dislike of Tintin?

Different tastes? My wife hates 'Young Frankenstein'. Go figure.

very different taste !

dam, i have to wait until 25 may 1979 to see this movie
index.php

Last edited:
Alien ,Frank & Leonardo ;D

Attachments

• ñ 001.jpg
    ñ 001.jpg
    384.5 KB · Views: 174
  • ñ 002.jpg
    ñ 002.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 28
  • ñ 003.jpg
    ñ 003.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 68
Nick said:
The person who has derided Tintin since the start of this thread...

Derided? Who has done that? Honestly, go back and re-read the thread.

Any real reason for your dislike of Tintin?

Well, I saw the movie and was bored by it. If I had "derided" the movie prior to seeign it, I'd hardly spend money on it, would I?

For me some of the production videos (which can be found on YouTube) were far more interesting than the movie itself. 3D tech, real time workspace, wireframe mockups, advances in rendering, detailed materials and expression/acting translation (it works very well in caricatured characters - entirely realistic depictions still have the "uncanny valley" problem). So I concentrated more on the tech and visual artistry (there were many enjoyable moments) rather than the plot - which, true to filmmaking form, left ample room for sequels.

Efforts to make some characters and features more PC were questionable - Tintin is what it is, good and bad. Each era will also view the originals differently so all this rethinking kind of seems futile. I can't see any movies overriding the importance of the originals, even as a sort of a "disneyesque" franchise.

Besides, I disliked mixing up the storylines and particularly the over the top embellishments. Haddock breathing life into the airplane engine was just odious and oddly contrary to otherwise "cleaned up" source material. The advanced moviemaking technology even failed somewhat when they tried to outdo the bandes dessinées in the scene where Tintin, Haddock and Snowy (... Milou, really) fled the casbah. It looked out of place in every context and the "subplot" where Omar Ben Salaad is a water hoarding autocrat (rather than an opium dealer) and the heroes' actions accidentally release the reserves to the people was just odd and distracting to me. There's a unique undercurrent of naturalism to the style of Tintin which wasn't well served in any of these (and some other) instances.

Discontinuities in the "magic" aside my very favorite moment came in the beginning, the homage to Hergé was done in admirable and subtly poignant style. In a way we all inhabit our own universes and his particular gift was to share so much of his.

Very well put, UpForce. I was also upset by all the Casbah scenes and docks scenes because they were way too exuberant, too blockbuster-like for Tintin. And also, most of all, the over-characterization and importance of Sakharine.

UpForce said:
(it works very well in caricatured characters - entirely realistic depictions still have the "uncanny valley" problem).

Indeed. Tintin was subtley disturbing in a way the other characters weren't... probably because Tintin was not modeled as some sort or mutant, while all the other characters were substantially more cartoony in physical structure.

In any event, I would've lost my bet:
Domestic Total as of Jan. 2, 2012: $50,841,000