PA.28, first Clemenceau carrier.

Archibald

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
You all know that the name "clemenceau" apply to an old french carrier, now dismantled in France (after some, eeerhm, humiliating atempts to scrap it overseas).

building of this ship started in 1954, the hull was laid down in 1957, and the ship entered service in 1961. It was withdrawn in October 1997.

Before this ship was another Clemenceau, the PA.28. I have very info on this ship, only this article (in french). http://www.stratisc.org/pub/mo/pub_mo3_Querel.html

There's the dimensions and weight, but I would really want to see a 3-view of the ship...

Thanks in advance :D

The link is now broken ! :(
Does this article still exist ?
Wayback Machine to the rescue:
Also check out this very good thread with pictures:

7309PA.28_2.jpg

PA 28 specifications:

Displacement: 15,700 tW (20,110 t full load)

Dimensions: Length (overall) 229.50m (between perpendiculars) 215m Width (overall) 36m (between perpendiculars) 25m Draft: 6.50m

Propulsion: Two groups of turbines powered by four boilers developing a total power of 105,000hp and driving two propellers

Performance: maximum speed: 32 knots range: 7700 nautical miles at 18 knots 4700 nautical miles at 24 knots

Protection: none

Armament: 16 x 100mm guns in eight twin turrets divided into four groups (two to starboard and two to port) and 16 x 57mm guns in eight twin turrets (one aft, one bow, three starboard and three port)

Aircraft facilities: Flight deck 220m long by 36m wide connected to the hangar (130m long by 24.40m wide and 8.50m high) by two 12-ton lifts. Two catapults at the front and 8 arrestor wires plus three barricades.

Air group: The number varies according to sources from 31 to 47 aircraft. The single hangar can permanently house 22 NC1070 or Nord 1500 twin-engine torpedo planes plus 5 SE582 heavy fighters, i.e. 27 aircraft. It was also planned that 22 SE582 could be hung from the ceiling of the hangar.

Crew: 1806 officers and sailors.

Last edited:
The funny thing is PA28 looked a lot like USS Wasp (CV-7) in terms of overall size and capability… i.e. an unprotected medium fleet carrier.

Wasp was much criticized for its design compromises even before WWII so it’s hard to see how PA28 would have fared well in the Cold War, especially coming on the cusp of the jet era. I’m trying to picture PA28 entering service in time for Suez (1956), heavily modified with an angled deck and deck edge lift… maybe would have been better than a Colossus/Centaur carrier for those other navies with money to spend?

Attachments

• Image.jpeg
    Image.jpeg
    467.1 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
I’m trying to picture PA28 entering service in time for Suez (1956), heavily modified with an angled deck and deck edge lift… maybe would have been better than a Colossus/Centaur carrier for those other navies with money to spend?
Here’s PA28 vs HMS Centaur… an angled deck conversion looks doable, especially as it would probably have occurred while still under-construction, much like CVA-59 USS Forrestal during the same time period (historically the first French angled deck design appeared in early 1953 as part of the PAX studies).

And here’s PA28 vs. HMS Hermes… that might be taking things too far - not sure PA28 could have been modified/rebuilt to the same degree!

Attachments

• Image.jpeg
    Image.jpeg
    429.2 KB · Views: 91
  • Image.jpeg
    Image.jpeg
    471.5 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom