Merv_P

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
It's been great to browse Paralay's new site and be able to pick up things so quickly and easily. This caught my eye; it's half of an image showing preliminary designs for the MiG-29 from 1971 and 1972.

Are there any any other sources for these? The clear progression from a -25 to a -29-style configuration is interesting.

Attachments

• mig29.gif
    mig29.gif
    13.2 KB · Views: 2,617
The top one looks like a straight cross between the MiG-25 and Mig-23.

Regards,

Greg

During the early development years of the Flanker/Fulcrum generation of Soviet fighters, a Sparrow copy was seriously considered as their SARH BVR missile. Eventually though, the missile design we've come to know as R-27 prevailed.

EDIT: http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2750.0/

Matej mean that his beginnings old as hell, I'm sure ;)

Model photos are definitely from some book. But what is the original source? I saw many of them in more than two books... Polygon MiG-29, Yefim Gordon MiG-29 (Famous Russian Aircrafts series) to name a few.

These are taken from Andrey Fomin's Polygon book

Triton said:

Very interesting, I like the one with the unusual Lerx's with the f-105/draaken reminiscent intake. One model looks very f-15-ish and another looks very f-18-ish.

Any reason behind why the soviets chose such tiny cockpits with poor visibility? when did this philosophy change and why are bubble canopies not on some of these models, esp. the "heavy" design? I thought by the time the lightweight fighter program got underway that led to the Mig -29 the soviets learned their lesson re visibility for their air superiority designs.

Some of the early designs are very Yak-141-ish, and the Yak-141 is completely unlike any previous Yak. Hmmm.... A little data trasnfusion?

LowObservable said:
Some of the early designs are very Yak-141-ish, and the Yak-141 is completely unlike any previous Yak. Hmmm.... A little data trasnfusion?

Yakovlev would have seen the early "large MiG-29" design at the presentation of concepts in the initial stages of the PFI contest whilst presenting their own designs. Mikoyan came up with the small MiG-29 layout after seeing the early Su-27 designs in the same meeting; the designs were not kept secret from each other. Its also possible someone moved from MiG to Yak - Oleg Samolovich took several designs with him from Sukhoi to MiG when he left in the 1980s.

kcran567 said:
Triton said:

Very interesting, I like the one with the unusual Lerx's with the f-105/draaken reminiscent intake. One model looks very f-15-ish and another looks very f-18-ish.

Any reason behind why the soviets chose such tiny cockpits with poor visibility? when did this philosophy change and why are bubble canopies not on some of these models, esp. the "heavy" design? I thought by the time the lightweight fighter program got underway that led to the Mig -29 the soviets learned their lesson re visibility for their air superiority designs.

In fact, once the fast MiG-25 inspired design was rejected, the lightweight MiG-29 designs had very good rear vision.

Attachments

• MiG-29 Model.jpg
    MiG-29 Model.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 1,973
  • 9.11 Model, K-25 AAMs.jpg
    9.11 Model, K-25 AAMs.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 1,910
  • MiG-29 LIGHTWEIGHT.jpg
    MiG-29 LIGHTWEIGHT.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 1,888
kcran567 said:
Triton said:

Actually , those are not intakes ( they are under the fuselage), but panels attached to the LERX to make the aircraft appear as a MiG-25 from spy satellites. At least according to mr. Yefim Gordon.

Yep that is correct. Remembering this famous satellite shot, it might even have worked. Look at the LERX, and some early "MiG-29" artwork.

index.php

Attachments

• MiG-29-Satellite.jpg
    MiG-29-Satellite.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 1,783
I wonder why the West didn't expect the Russians to follow the F-14 style of mounting engines below a rather flat rear fuselage.

The artist's impressions all seemed to expect the boxy F-15 style instead.

Hi!

a)1971 design
b)1972 design
c)1973 design (plane 9-11)
d)1974-76 draft project(plane 9-12)

Attachments

• MIG-29 on conceptual design stage in 1971.jpg
    MIG-29 on conceptual design stage in 1971.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 653
  • 1972 design three side view.jpg
    1972 design three side view.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 734
  • Mig-29 1971 design.jpg
    Mig-29 1971 design.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 754
  • 1972 design model.jpg
    1972 design model.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 731
  • Change the appearance of the MiG-29 during the design process.jpg
    Change the appearance of the MiG-29 during the design process.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 1,345
In my files,

there was a Project for MiG-29,had a controlled vector thrust system.

Of course I know it,

and this was from almost 2001,but what I spoke about it,was from nearly 1986,and it had a
different system,also remained a Project only.

PaulMM (Overscan) said:
Yep that is correct. Remembering this famous satellite shot, it might even have worked. Look at the LERX, and some early "MiG-29" artwork.

There and then known to the West (well America) as the RAM-L

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a Shulikov design, for details see here: https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15107.0

Lil note: AIM-7 copy (R-25) was a competitor not to R-27 but to R-23. By the time R-27 started to became a thing it was long gone.

Lil note: AIM-7 copy (R-25) was a competitor not to R-27 but to R-23. By the time R-27 started to became a thing it was long gone.

The early MiG-29 models did feature K-25 (AIM-7E Sparrow clone) missiles as in 1971-72 the K-25 was expected to supplant the K-23. Tests on K-25 didn't start until 1972 and were completed in 1974, the program terminated with the decision to proceed with the K-23 for the MiG-23.

The first beginnings of K-27 development were in 1973 and derived in part from technical solutions developed in the K-25 program.

Does anyone know what this "Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-35 Fulcrum F" plan corresponds to ? I found it on TheBlueprint.

Attachments

• mikoyan--gurevich-mig-35-fulcrum-f.png
    mikoyan--gurevich-mig-35-fulcrum-f.png
    36.2 KB · Views: 338
This particular blueprint appears to be taken directly from the book by Piotr Butowski "Lotnictwo Wojskowe Rosji vol. 3" from 1997. In principle, this MiG-35 (izd. 9-25) was supposed to be an evolution of the MiG-29M (izd. 9-15), and I would say that the main idea behind it was to expand the range/payload capabilities to be more competitive with Su-27M. The fuselage was supposed to be extended by 920 mm (910 mm according to Y. Gordon), while the wings were based on the MiG-29K (izd. 9-31) one, with a 12.00 m wingspan. In total, an additional 1500 kg of fuel (in comparison to 9-15) was to be carried internally. In terms of the engines, in the first stage, a TVC version of the RD-33s was considered, with further plans including 98.1 kN derivative, which would require some revisions to the air intakes. The avionics was supposed to benefit from a new PESA radar (RP-35 according to Butowski, Zhuk-F according to Y. Gordon). Although there was some initial interest in the project from RuAF, it quickly waned, and the project was put on the shelf. During MAKS-97, MAPO MiG announced plans for further development of the idea, with izd. 9-35. The principle was very similar - extended fuselage, enlarged internal fuel tanks, but this time no canards were planned. Again, nothing materialized out of this project.

This particular blueprint appears to be taken directly from the book by Piotr Butowski "Lotnictwo Wojskowe Rosji vol. 3" from 1997. In principle, this MiG-35 (izd. 9-25) was supposed to be an evolution of the MiG-29M (izd. 9-15), and I would say that the main idea behind it was to expand the range/payload capabilities to be more competitive with Su-27M. The fuselage was supposed to be extended by 920 mm (910 mm according to Y. Gordon), while the wings were based on the MiG-29K (izd. 9-31) one, with a 12.00 m wingspan. In total, an additional 1500 kg of fuel (in comparison to 9-15) was to be carried internally. In terms of the engines, in the first stage, a TVC version of the RD-33s was considered, with further plans including 98.1 kN derivative, which would require some revisions to the air intakes. The avionics was supposed to benefit from a new PESA radar (RP-35 according to Butowski, Zhuk-F according to Y. Gordon). Although there was some initial interest in the project from RuAF, it quickly waned, and the project was put on the shelf. During MAKS-97, MAPO MiG announced plans for further development of the idea, with izd. 9-35. The principle was very similar - extended fuselage, enlarged internal fuel tanks, but this time no canards were planned. Again, nothing materialized out of this project.
Perhaps you have an answer to the question I asked about the MiG-23MP here?

From this Amazing Russian book,

who can collect the pieces ?.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    763.7 KB · Views: 239
  • 2.png
    2.png
    867.2 KB · Views: 222
  • 0.png
    0.png
    5.8 MB · Views: 301
Sadly, the link to TBO in post #22 is broken: Worse than '404', current content makes fire-walls scream...

IIRC, Stuart Slade's untimely death due Covid left TBO's 'master passwords' undocumented, domain fees etc un-paid.
Worse followed.
I'm told there's a partial re-build in progress, but much seems lost...
:-((