Register here

Author Topic: Little-known American helicopter projects  (Read 26094 times)

Offline Skyblazer

• Global Moderator
  • CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: Little-known American helicopter projects
« Reply #90 on: June 03, 2018, 04:56:31 pm »
this helicopter was developed by Bernard Sznycer collaborated with Selma Gottlieb,and it
was actually built as I know,but maybe it was Type SG VI-A ?.

This is sadly off-topic since we are talking about Canadian, not American, helicopters here...

Actually, two were built:
- the SG-VI-C circa 1946, which was to be marketed and produced by Canadian Helicopter Co., but was apparently little flown, due to lack of confidence in the structural integrity of airframe.
- the SG-VI-D Grey Gull [CF-FGG-X], produced in 1947 with a 178hp Franklin 6A4-165-BGF engine, a crude enclosed cabin and an open tubular tail boom (your top picture). It eventually became the SG-VI-E [CF-FGG] when re-engined with a 200hp Franklin 6A4-200-C6 engine and offered to investors for development and production. It was approved by Intercity Airlines, and used for flight testing and Type certification in 1951 the first case in the entire British Commonwealth for a helicopter.

Offline hesham

« Reply #91 on: June 04, 2018, 06:53:13 am »
Thank you my dear Skyblazer,

and there was anther one;

SG-VI-E was a second prototype re-engined with a 200 hp (149.14 kW) Franklin 6A4-200-C6.

Offline Skyblazer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #92 on: June 04, 2018, 04:48:31 pm »
and there was anther one;

SG-VI-E was a second prototype re-engined with a 200 hp (149.14 kW) Franklin 6A4-200-C6.

You didn't read what I wrote: I mentioned the SG-VI-E in my post! It was not a second prototype, but the same one re-engined.

Offline hesham

« Reply #93 on: June 05, 2018, 06:42:06 am »
OK my dear,sorry for my rush.

Offline Apophenia

« Reply #94 on: June 06, 2018, 12:20:32 pm »
This is sadly off-topic since we are talking about Canadian, not American, helicopters here...

Too true ... although the designers came from the US. Bernard Sznycer came up to Montreal from New York. Selma Gottlieb came from Philadelphia.

And, of course, once the SG-VI programme tanked, Sznycer returned to the US (Bedford, MA and Syracuse, NY) to develop the Omega BS-12 flying crane/utility helicopter. So, a Made-in-Canada project leads to a Made-in-America project   :D

Offline Skyblazer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #95 on: June 06, 2018, 02:16:48 pm »

Too true ... although the designers came from the US. Bernard Sznycer came up to Montreal from New York. Selma Gottlieb came from Philadelphia.

And, of course, once the SG-VI programme tanked, Sznycer returned to the US (Bedford, MA and Syracuse, NY) to develop the Omega BS-12 flying crane/utility helicopter. So, a Made-in-Canada project leads to a Made-in-America project   :D

You are absolutely right, Apophenia! The SG-VI was produced under what seems to have been a joint Canadian-American company: CanAmerican Inc. (the president of which was Bernard W. Sznycer), based in Philadelphia, Penn. So it DOES belong in this thread after all, hesham! ;-)

Offline Avnut

• CLEARANCE: Restricted
  • I really should change my personal text
« Reply #96 on: June 07, 2018, 02:58:40 pm »
American Sportscopter UltarSport 331 (Single Seat) and 496 (Two Seat)

This article provides a good background on models.
http://www.redbackaviation.com/american-sportscopter-ultrasport-496-helicopter-ultrasport-254-helicopter/

Offline Skyblazer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #97 on: June 10, 2018, 08:05:00 pm »
American Sportscopter UltarSport 331 (Single Seat) and 496 (Two Seat)
This article provides a good background on models.
http://www.redbackaviation.com/american-sportscopter-ultrasport-496-helicopter-ultrasport-254-helicopter/

There's a lot more to the UltraSport series than just the Models 254, 331 and 496 lightweight helicopters.
Advanced Technologies (ATI), Unmanned Rotor Systems (URS), Science Applications International (SAIC) all worked at developing UAV and OPV derivatives under the generic name Vigilante (Vigilante 331 proof-of-concept UAV, Vigilante 496-OPV, Vigilante 497 Navy/JPL sensor platform, Vigilante 500, Vigilante 502 and Vigilante Tagalong).

Offline RAP

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #98 on: June 17, 2018, 04:30:14 pm »
A few more images on the Landgraf