Register here

Author Topic: SpaceX (general discussion)  (Read 187205 times)

Offline Flyaway

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: SpaceX (general discussion)
« Reply #1065 on: March 05, 2018, 01:35:19 am »
As a Space X launch for NASA this article seems appropriate to this thread.

TESS - the latest exoplanet finder - in final preparations for launch

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2018/03/tess-exoplanet-finder-final-preparations-launch/

Offline sferrin

« Reply #1066 on: March 10, 2018, 07:18:58 pm »

Finally shows the core 1st stage hit the water.  (1:10)
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline Archibald

« Reply #1067 on: March 11, 2018, 01:14:02 am »
The author of the video should really cut back on the caffein :p
Conservatoire de l'Air et de l'Espace d'Aquitaine - Bordeaux - Mérignac / Dassault aviation museum
http://www.caea.info/en/plan.php

Offline Flyaway

« Reply #1068 on: March 12, 2018, 01:59:26 pm »
SpaceX’s most recent launch carried a secret military-funded experiment

A previously-undisclosed payload funded by a U.S. military research agency rode into orbit with a Spanish communications satellite on SpaceX’s most recent Falcon 9 rocket launch March 6, officials said Friday.

The small spacecraft was fastened inside the Hispasat 30W-6 communications satellite, then ejected soon after the Falcon 9’s primary payload deployed in orbit following liftoff from Cape Canaveral.

Officials from Space Systems/Loral and NovaWurks, two companies involved in the project, acknowledged the existence of the secret secondary satellite after publicly-available orbital data published by the U.S. military registered an unexpected object attributed to Tuesday’s launch named PODSat.

The companies declined to release details about the secondary satellite’s mission or design, and a spokesperson for the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, or DARPA, did not respond to multiple requests for information regarding the PODSat mission.

https://spaceflightnow.com/2018/03/12/spacexs-most-recent-launch-carried-a-secret-military-funded-experiment/

Offline FighterJock

« Reply #1069 on: March 13, 2018, 04:55:24 am »
It would be interesting to know what that experiment was that SpaceX launched.  I suppose that it will only be a matter of time.

Offline fredymac

« Reply #1070 on: March 13, 2018, 08:56:39 am »
Summary of Falcon 9 evolution and final “block 5” form.

Offline FighterJock

« Reply #1071 on: March 13, 2018, 11:40:30 am »
Summary of Falcon 9 evolution and final “block 5” form.

Interesting video fredymac, it is a wonder why SpaceX are even bothering with the Block 5 Falcon 9 rocket when they said that all future production of the Falcon 9 would be stopped and all future production would be concentrated on the BFR?  ???  :-\

Offline fredymac

« Reply #1072 on: March 13, 2018, 01:11:08 pm »

Interesting video fredymac, it is a wonder why SpaceX are even bothering with the Block 5 Falcon 9 rocket when they said that all future production of the Falcon 9 would be stopped and all future production would be concentrated on the BFR?  ???  :-\

Block 5 is the full implementation of reusability which makes it a valuable demonstrator and foundation for BFR.  I would guess Falcon has at least 4 years of revenue making left and probably more.

Offline SteveO

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #1073 on: March 13, 2018, 01:26:33 pm »
Watched that video earlier today and if I remember correctly they said the block 5 is the design freeze point for Falcon 9 and after seven successful launches of the block 5 standard it can be classed as human spaceflight/astronaut rated.

Design and engineering efforts switch to BFR while block 5 is in production I believe.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 01:31:16 pm by SteveO »

Offline Hobbes

« Reply #1074 on: March 14, 2018, 12:13:56 am »

No, SpaceX said all future development will be stopped. They have at least 50 launches on the manifest for the next 4 years, and can't just postpone those indefinitely until BFR is operational.

Offline FighterJock

« Reply #1075 on: March 14, 2018, 07:43:48 am »

No, SpaceX said all future development will be stopped. They have at least 50 launches on the manifest for the next 4 years, and can't just postpone those indefinitely until BFR is operational.

So any ideas as to when BFR would likely be ready for operational use?

Offline sferrin

« Reply #1076 on: March 14, 2018, 07:44:58 am »
My SWAG would be "before 2025 but not much".

edit:  I'm wondering how much trouble they'll have with the heat shield.  The upper stage is far larger than the Shuttle Orbiter and it has to deal with higher reentry speeds.  (Coming back from the moon - something like 25k mph- and from Mars.)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 07:52:13 am by sferrin »
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline Moose

« Reply #1077 on: March 14, 2018, 09:31:48 am »

edit:  I'm wondering how much trouble they'll have with the heat shield.  The upper stage is far larger than the Shuttle Orbiter and it has to deal with higher reentry speeds.  (Coming back from the moon - something like 25k mph- and from Mars.)
Their PICA-X is supposed to be quite hardy, from all I've read. But I've seen talk on NSF of a cooled metallic heat shield so I guess I'll just wait and see.

Offline Michel Van

« Reply #1078 on: March 14, 2018, 10:39:26 am »

Here is SpaceX again innovative:
they took NASA "Phenolic impregnated carbon ablator" short PICA and improved it to PICA-X
standard lightweight PICA withstand 12.4 km/s (28,000 mph) at 135 km altitude with Stardust sample-return capsule

While PICA-X ver 1 & 2 were innovative in more easier production and  lower cost on Dragon 1 & 2
now work SpaceX on PICA-X version 3, improves upon its heat shielding capacity, guess what for BFR !

Dan Rasky: about SpaceX's Rapid Prototyping Design Process in 2016.

Source Wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_entry#PICA-X
I love Strange Technology

Offline Flyaway

« Reply #1079 on: March 15, 2018, 10:48:49 am »
SpaceX wins lucrative new contracts to fly GPS and earth-imaging satellites

The US Air Force has announced a deal with SpaceX, Elon Musk’s rocket company, to fly three of the newest generation of Global Positioning System satellites into space, at an average cost of $97 million per flight. The service also contracted with United Launch Alliance, a joint venture of Boeing and Lockheed Martin, for two launches carrying space-surveillance satellites and some experimental hardware, at an average cost of $177 million per flight.

Yet in the commercial world, price is king: SpaceX also announced a deal with DigitalGlobe, a satellite imaging company, to launch two new satellites in 2020, on previously-flown Falcon 9 rockets. While those prices were not disclosed, Musk has said previously that flying on a reused rocket could come with a 30% discount. SpaceX is the only company operating reusable boosters, and has flown six missions using them.

https://qz.com/1229463/elon-musks-spacex-wins-lucrative-new-contracts-to-fly-gps-and-earth-imaging-satellites-for-the-us-air-force/