Register here

Author Topic: SpaceX (general discussion)  (Read 234560 times)

Offline Flyaway

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: SpaceX (general discussion)
« Reply #1650 on: April 15, 2019, 06:17:29 am »
Via NSF.

SpaceX - Falcon Heavy - Arabsat 6A - 4K - High Fidelity - by Epic visual and sound production by Jay L. DeShetler for NSF. Headphones on and enjoy "tower clear" with the big rocket and her 27 Merlin 1D pals.

Offline fredymac

« Reply #1651 on: April 15, 2019, 06:21:55 am »
From Musk Twitter:

Thinking about adding giant stainless steel dragon wings to Starship

Later quote said he was 6.5 out of 10 serious.  As usual, we'll have to wait to figure out what he really means.

Offline Steven

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
    • AIAA at UCLA
« Reply #1652 on: April 15, 2019, 08:38:38 am »
From Musk Twitter:

Thinking about adding giant stainless steel dragon wings to Starship

Later quote said he was 6.5 out of 10 serious.  As usual, we'll have to wait to figure out what he really means.

And one minute later,

Winter is coming

Probably just a cheeky Game of Thrones reference, although you may never know.

And for some extra lulz, see below...  ;)

« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 01:32:45 am by Steven »
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Offline TomS

« Reply #1653 on: April 15, 2019, 08:49:23 am »
Oh, God, I'm never going to be able to unsee that picture...

Offline fredymac

« Reply #1654 on: April 15, 2019, 09:27:44 am »
With Musk its hard to tell when he's joking.  He added this:

With steel membrane wings like a Dragon, we may be able to lower Starship’s orbital reentry temp to ~1000 degrees C, which would allow the whole surface to be uncooled bare metal

Offhand, I would not be surprised if there is another design update. Putting these comments into a Game Of Thrones thread really adds another layer of uncertainty.

Offline Archibald

« Reply #1655 on: April 15, 2019, 10:35:31 am »

ROTFLMAO
Conservatoire de l'Air et de l'Espace d'Aquitaine
http://www.caea.info/en/plan.php

Offline merriman

• CLEARANCE: Secret
  • David Douglass Merriman lll
« Reply #1656 on: April 15, 2019, 01:27:11 pm »
And … the circle is completed:

We're the extra fuel they may need, Stanton...

Offline Flyaway

« Reply #1657 on: April 15, 2019, 02:03:02 pm »
https://twitter.com/Erdayastronaut/status/1117880400175435776

Bad news... due to rough seas, it sounds like the center core of #falconheavy tipped over [emoji30] they do have a robot named “octagrabber” that can hold down F9’s but unfortunately it can’t hold down the center core [emoji17] at least they stuck the landing and proved the system works.

Offline sferrin

« Reply #1658 on: April 15, 2019, 02:13:39 pm »
Not that I think he ever saw it but I DID tweet to him that he should name the first Starship, "Galileo".   ;D

"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline martinbayer

« Reply #1659 on: April 15, 2019, 09:22:51 pm »
I'd vastly prefer "Bohemian Rhapsody" though ;)...
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 09:44:33 pm by martinbayer »
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

Offline UpForce

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
« Reply #1660 on: April 15, 2019, 11:41:20 pm »

I think we need some kind of a protocol for such hazardous content.

Offline Flyaway

« Reply #1661 on: April 15, 2019, 11:44:13 pm »
SpaceX loses the center core of its Falcon Heavy rocket due to choppy seas

“Over the weekend, due to rough sea conditions, SpaceX’s recovery team was unable to secure the center core booster for its return trip to Port Canaveral,” SpaceX said in a statement to The Verge. “As conditions worsened with eight to ten foot swells, the booster began to shift and ultimately was unable to remain upright. While we had hoped to bring the booster back intact, the safety of our team always takes precedence. We do not expect future missions to be impacted.”

Offline martinbayer

« Reply #1662 on: April 15, 2019, 11:52:03 pm »

“Over the weekend, due to rough sea conditions, SpaceX’s recovery team was unable to secure the center core booster for its return trip to Port Canaveral,” SpaceX said in a statement to The Verge. “As conditions worsened with eight to ten foot swells, the booster began to shift and ultimately was unable to remain upright. While we had hoped to bring the booster back intact, the safety of our team always takes precedence. We do not expect future missions to be impacted.”

I understand that due to his ultimate goal to colonize Mars and avoid duplication of effort, Musk chose a VTVL architecture for all of his launch and space vehicles, but those are the perils of foregoing wings and landing strips on firm ground.
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

Offline Hobbes

« Reply #1663 on: April 16, 2019, 01:30:40 am »

I understand that due to his ultimate goal to colonize Mars and avoid duplication of effort, Musk chose a VTVL architecture for all of his launch and space vehicles, but those are the perils of foregoing wings and landing strips on firm ground.

The landing was ~1000 miles out in the ocean. What do you get when you create a vehicle with a 30-ton payload and wings capable of 1000 miles of crossrange gliding? The Space Shuttle, and we all know how cheap that turned out to be.

SpaceX have a solution in place (the 'Roomba' robotic vehicle that parks under the landed stage and grabs it to stabilize it), but that vehicle wasn't yet modified to handle the FH center core.

Offline sferrin

« Reply #1664 on: April 16, 2019, 06:05:56 am »

Whereas the perils of going with wings and landing strips might mean not being able to do it at all.
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.