Hood

ACCESS: Top Secret
Staff member
Reaction score
The Firestone Aircraft Company, a subsidary of the tyre firm of the same name, took over the rights to some Pitcairn Autgyro Company designs. Firestone then developed the Model 45 which became the XR-9 two-seat helicopter.
The Model 45B was designed to use a 126hp XO-290-5 piston engine, the two crew sat in tandem and a three-blade rotor was used. It was never built.
The Model 45C (XR-9A) was a further development with a two-blade rotor but it was never built either.
The prototype was the XR-9B used a production 135hp Lycoming O-290-5 and a civil version (Model 45D) had side-by-side seating but all development ceased in 1947.

Thanks. Have you got a source for this? What you describe as a "GA-45A" I always had as the "GA-45B".

Okay, found. R.Simpson "Airlife's Helicopter and Rotorcraft", 1998.

However, there exist many variations on the story, and to add to the confusion, the preserved aircraft at Fort Rucker seems to be the civilian prototype repainted (check the length of the fuselage on attached photos). Also please note that the first two pics, which seem to be one and the same, present a different tail.

So you see, we know that there were XR-9, XR-9A and XR-9B designations... we know there were GA-45A to GA-45D designations... but how these match each other is anyone's guess unless we can find some conclusive proof. What is for certain is that two aircraft only were built, the military 46-001 ("6001") with the long cockpit, and the civilian NX58457 with the short cockpit. Please note that both had three-blade rotors.

Attachments

• 7765L-1.jpg
    7765L-1.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,495
  • firestone_3.jpg
    firestone_3.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 108
  • firestone_1.jpg
    firestone_1.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 108
  • firestone.jpg
    firestone.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 96
  • amhelimag88.jpg
    amhelimag88.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 1,285
  • 8243L.jpg
    8243L.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 1,337
  • 7765L-2.jpg
    7765L-2.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 1,400
  • firestone-ga.jpg
    firestone-ga.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 1,421
The example preserved at Fort Rucker, which is believed to be the civilian prototype (short cockpit, dual controls) repainted as the XR-9B.

Attachments

• Firestone in Museum.jpg
    Firestone in Museum.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 114
Thanks for the info, I'd love to see that picture!

Meanwhile, I've continued to research the GA-45 and XR-9 and found that it is indeed a complicated subject! The civilian demonstrator seen above is described everywhere in period captions as a side-by-side two-seater, so I guess that's what it was, but it sure doesn't show!!

As for the XR-9/XR-9A/XR-9B confusion, here is what I think is the authoritative source, an article from Vertiflite published in 1996.

"Shortly after the cancellation of the XO-61 program in late '43, Firestone management asked Harold Pitcairn two questions: "Why not a helicopter?" and "Could Pitcairn and his small engineering team work the G. & A. manufacturing operation to create a helicopter?" Pitcairn answered yes to both questions and proposal work began on what was to become the XR-9. Army approval was obtained and the XR-9 made its first flight in 1944. With its 'floating hub' it offered an extremely smooth and vibration-free flight with no feedback on the controls.
After less than a month the XR-9 was converted to a 2-place aircraft — the XR-9B. Colonel Frank Gregory was invited to pilot the aircraft and he flew a beautiful trial flight. Later that month another Wright Field officer arrived to evaluate the aircraft's flight characteristics. Unfamiliar with the aircraft's sensitivity, he promptly nosed it over destroying the blades, transmission and engine. But the Army Air Force did buy a four-place follow-on, the XR-14, which featured twin tail rotors, one on each end of its stabilizer. Firestone's Post-War Civil Helicopters As World War II was drawing to a close, the US helicopter manufacturers were looking at the civil market. Firestone built the GA-45, two-place variant of the XR-9B. The fuselage was widened for two places side-by-side thus reducing the nose length back to the original XR-9 single-place."

Source: Vertiflite, Volumes 42 à 43 (1996)

As you can see, the derelict state of the XR-9B is understandable given that it was damaged and never repaired since an order for the better XR-14 had been placed (winning over the Bell Model 54, the latter being nonetheless procured in three examples as the XH-15 while the winner was never built).

I'm also attaching an article by Leo Kuhn from the World War II Journal, which may not be as accurate on the versions, but provides some very interesting info on the program.

As for the twin-tail-rotor GA-50 (XR-14), the only picture I could find was an advertisement for the civilian version, also attached below.

Attachments

• may46pg2lrg.jpg
    may46pg2lrg.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 150
  • Leo Kuhn article.gif
    Leo Kuhn article.gif
    300.3 KB · Views: 140
Stéphane, thanks for your detailed research.
Could it be (some 'guesswork' included) that chronology can have been:
XR-9 (GA-45) first aircraft, single-seater, Lycoming O-290-7 engine, 26ft main rotor
XR-9A (GA-45B): unbuilt version of the XR-9 with XO-290-5 engine
XR-9B (GA-45D): The XR-9 after modification as tandem 2-seater with lengthened nose.
GA-45D: Second aircraft, civil, side-by-side sating, shorter nose, less glass area, 175hp Franklin 6V4 engine (and 30ft rotor?)
Regards, Walter

walter said:
Stéphane, thanks for your detailed research.
Could it be (some 'guesswork' included) that chronology can have been:
XR-9 (GA-45) first aircraft, single-seater, Lycoming O-290-7 engine, 26ft main rotor
XR-9A (GA-45B): unbuilt version of the XR-9 with XO-290-5 engine
XR-9B (GA-45D): The XR-9 after modification as tandem 2-seater with lengthened nose.
GA-45D: Second aircraft, civil, side-by-side sating, shorter nose, less glass area, 175hp Franklin 6V4 engine (and 30ft rotor?)
Regards, Walter

No, definitely not.

What we know for sure from all the research I've been doing (and the numerous period articles I went through and am still searching for) is the following:

- XR-9-GA (first prototype, 46-1 "6001", single-seater with original short cockpit) (often seen as GA-45B).
- XR-9A-GA (unbuilt variant with two-blade rotor) (sometimes seen as GA-45C).
- XR-9B-GA (first prototype, 46-1 "6001", modified as tandem two-seater with extended cockpit) (sometimes seen as GA-45C).
Still existed in derelict state in Frank Piasecki's junkyard as of 2006.
- GA-45D: civilian prototype (NX58457) with side-by-side seating and dual controls, simply refered to as plain "GA-45" in many sources.
Repainted in Army colors to pass off as an "XR-9" at the Fort Rucker U.S. Army Museum.
- XR-14: four-seater derivative with twin tail-rotors (three ordered as 46-527/529 then cancelled) (probably GA-50).
- GA-50: commercial version of XR-14 (not built).

In all my research so far I have not seen conclusive evidence of a "GA-45A". Perhaps it was a paper project only.

I HAVE A MONTHLY PROGRESS REPORT ON THE G&A XR-9 W/9 PHOTOS 8X10..... I AM GOING TO SELL IT SOON ......THX JOHN ..

Picture in colour.
Link: http://airandspace.si.edu/collections/artifact.cfm?object=siris_arc_365767
Low three-fourth right front view of the U.S. Army Air Force Firestone XR-9B (s/n 46-001) in low flight, Fred W. Soule is at the controls

photographer
Arnold, Rudy 1902-1966
Data Source
National Air and Space Museum Archives
See more items in
Rudy Arnold Photo Collection
Local number
NASM-XRA-0564
Type
Photographs
Topic
Aeronautics
Helicopters
ID: NASM-XRA-0564

Hi,

the GA-50 was never completed;

https://books.google.com./books?id=R7GjzzNMpu4C&pg=PA74&lpg=PA74&dq=Laister-Kauffmann+XCG-10&source=bl&ots=0fcdJSR4fe&sig=mvmwlHFE4_weR8y3dinB07QXY5k&hl=ar&sa=X&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=Laister-Kauffmann%20XCG-10&f=false

:( :mad:

Correct INTERNATIONAL link to the REAL page and WITHOUT your search words: https://books.google.fr/books?id=R7GjzzNMpu4C&pg=PA64

Some nice detail drawings from Aviation.

Attachments

• Firestone XR-9B.png
    Firestone XR-9B.png
    989.2 KB · Views: 134
  • Firestone.png
    Firestone.png
    1,020.5 KB · Views: 149
Attached photo (most likely made in 1944 or 1945) proves that XR-9 was flown with s/n 44-90991. According to Joe Baugher's website the block of serial numbers 44-90991 thru 44-90999 was cancelled. With 44-90991and 44-90992 being originally allocated to Timm XAG-2 prototype assault gliders, which were cancelled in September or October 1943. Therefore elongated XR-9B s/n 46-001 was either built from scratch (bringing grand total of G&A/Firestone helicopters to three examples: XR-9 s/n 44-90991, XR-9B s/n 46-001 and civilian GA-45D reg. NX58457) or it was converted from XR-9 having its serial changed to 46-001.

Attachments

• xr-9.JPG
    xr-9.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 97
Just browsing my book Whirlybirds (A history of the US helicopter pioneers) I came across this nice litte helicopter once again. I am building plastic models and such a model would be a really nice extension to my models of the early helicopter era.
Are there any drawings left of the tandem two-seater variant XR-8B with dimensions other than listed on Wikipedia or the Aviastor website?

And searching for a three view plan to make an scale model, have found this from the big brother too, the XR-14 (GA-50). I know find photos of this obscure subjects is so rare as find gold dust, so was wondering if anyone of you guys have found three views drawings of this Firestone helo series that would be so kind to share with us here.

Attachments

• ms364_129_23_002 (1).jpg
    ms364_129_23_002 (1).jpg
    694.4 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
The example preserved at Fort Rucker, which is believed to be the civilian prototype (short cockpit, dual controls) repainted as the X

The Firestone XR-14 was actually the GA-49.
The GA-50 was the proposed civilian version that was never built.
Hey, you are right, I mistook thr GA code. Thank you very much for the correction. Was wondering if anyone have found a three view drawing of the XH-9. I am interested in build a 1/72 kit of this bird.

No three-view, quite unfortunately. My book on Pitcairn only has the autogyros and stops at PA-44. The later A.G.A., G&A and Firestone models are not included.
Seem here Will have to go far this time. Will try with Firestone and other instances and hope to get something interesting to share with you. Keep on guys!!

Have found anotherpictureof this beauty here where we can watch the rear view.
Also, have read something about the use of this bird to move mail but has no proof until today.

Attachments

• 0662527.jpg
    0662527.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 23
HEY GUYS:
Here a nice color study with nice color pictures of our subject found, hope it would be of your interest too.
Check here:

Attachments

• XR-9B1.jpg
    XR-9B1.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 24
Here a nice color study with nice color pictures of our subject found, hope it would be of your interest too.
Check here:
Fantastic pics, thanks a lot for this!

The GA-45 was to be developed into two separate new types: the military GA-49 (XR-14) with similar greenhouse cockpit as the XR-9B, and the commercial GA-50 with cabin arrangement and cockpit looking more like a general aviation type. Here it is, in documents from 1946.

Attachments

• May 1946 ad.jpg
    May 1946 ad.jpg
    381.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Firestone GA-45 & GA-50 Helicopters Ad Dec-1946.jpg
    Firestone GA-45 & GA-50 Helicopters Ad Dec-1946.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 16
  • GA-50.jpg
    GA-50.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 14
  • GA-50 flip side.jpg
    GA-50 flip side.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 13
  • GA-50 enhanced.jpg
    GA-50 enhanced.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 19
Hey, you are right, I mistook thr GA code. Thank you very much for the correction. Was wondering if anyone have found a three view drawing of the XH-9. I am interested in build a 1/72 kit of this bird.
Actually this book on page 36 provides a 3-view drawing - but it is quite rough. (XR-9B)

Attachments

• 9505_8_500x500.jpg
    9505_8_500x500.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Another two miniatures (unfortunately) from our favorite file (https://kulturserver-nds.de/home/hubtest/medien/Neg.Nr.GUN.pdf - not available any more).
Those are two variants of the lifting system (kolonka in Russian) of XR-9* - blade roots on the 2.jpg are a bit different from those on picture 1.jpg (installed in the helicopter) - like extended with extra tubular element, but overall shape of gearbox, swash-plate and pitch links is same.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 12
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 18
The GA-45 was to be developed into two separate new types: the military GA-49 (XR-14) with similar greenhouse cockpit as the XR-9B, and the commercial GA-50 with cabin arrangement and cockpit looking more like a general aviation type. Here it is, in documents from 1946.
Great find Stargazer!!! Seem we could collect nice material to get nice knowledge about the subject and make a comprehensive work on a small history of these birds and/or model making effort.

Actually this book on page 36 provides a 3-view drawing - but it is quite rough. (XR-9B)
Hi Friend:
Would you be so kind to share with us this three view???
Obviously for s nice history about these early birds this book looks like a great addition for a modeler or historian. will search for one sample!!!

Hi Friend:
Would you be so kind to share with us this three view???
Obviously for s nice history about these early birds this book looks like a great addition for a modeler or historian. will search for one sample!!!
The link is clickable and at least when I click it I see not-limited preview of this book.
Anyway - this is it:

Attachments

• xr-9.png
    xr-9.png
    86.8 KB · Views: 22
Hi guys:
Well, seem the roads to get more knowledge about this obscure but nice bird are narrowing as three days ago wrote to the US Army Museum Foundation and yesterday got a mail from the Museum Curator who sez have nothing about the bird. I enclose a Printscreen of the answer. So, have to push other sides to get something more about.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240221_190544_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20240221_190544_Gmail.jpg
    536.8 KB · Views: 16
Thank you very much my friend!!!
Now for more details will look around looking how far is possible to go.
If find something will share with you as usual.
Keep on and have a nice day!!!

Last edited: