ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

the Marinavia Farina SRL was founded in 1946 by industrial designer
Domenico Farina with headquarters in Milan,Italy.He designed and
built several gliders and sailplanes (no more info about them), and
prototype QR.14 Levriero four-seat touring aircraft, powered
by two de Havilland Gipsy Major 10 engines, first flown 1947,
in which year it won Coppa dell'Aria at Milan.

Does anyone know its gliders and sailplanes ?.

Attachments

• QR.14 Levriero.jpg
    QR.14 Levriero.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 825
Sorry Hesham,
I read only today your post and check some of my very scarce sources about Italian postwar projects (even more scarce in the glider field) but I found only the beautiful Levriero
Nico

Thank you Nico,

and I suppose that,the its gliders and sailplanes were started from QR.1.

hesham said:

Hesham: I don't think you can assume that QR (for Ing Luigi Queirolo and Recanatini) prefix for the gliders. Other Marinavia Farina glider designations just have numbers - Marinavia Farina IV (1946) and Marinavia Farina 15 (1950). The latter must have been one of the last Marinavia Farina products.

From an article 'Note of the Situation of Gliding in Italy, Sailplane and Glider, May 1950, pp 107-108:

"The aeronautical firms, which in the past, built gliders and sailplanes, are chiefly represented by Messrs. Ambrosini S.A.I., of Passignanon sul Trasimeno, and Messrs. Marinavia Farina, of Milan. The latter, however, suspended all activities in consequence of bankruptcy."

Other QR designations are for prototypes -- the single-engined (Fiat radial) tourer QR.2bis (I-BICI) and another single-engined light monoplanes, the QR.22 (no details). I saw these listed as Marinavia Farina built aircraft. Can anyone confirm?

BTW, Marinavia Farina also produced scooters (shades of Piaggio!):
http://www.scootermaniac.org/marques/236/modeles/Marinavia%20Farina%20Marinella.jpg

Hi,

from Aerofan magazine,the QR.2 and QR.22 drawings and QR.14 3-view.

Attachments

• QR.2 & QR.22.JPG
    QR.2 & QR.22.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 697
  • QR.14.JPG
    QR.14.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 682
Further informations about Levriero from the GAVS (Gruppo Amici Velivoli Storici - Historical Airplanes' Friends Group):

Marinavia Farina QR.14 Levriero (I-MFTA)
Built in 1942
First Flight 03/10/1947 at Vergiate
Jane's All World's Aircaft p. 170

Complete description and more pictures at:
http://www.giemmesesto.org/Documentazione/Aerei/CatQr14.html

Translation incoming!

In May 1938 Luigi Queirolo left the "Avio Trasporti", which operated with Ca.148 in Africa Orientale Italiana (Italian East Africa) to start his new aviation business in Italy (Milan), founding a technical study and managing the construction of a hangar in Ravenna.
In the fall of 1938, together with Ing. Recanatini, he proposed a project for a small tourism aircraft's competition.
In October 1939 they subjected to Gen. Amedeo Fiore, director of the DGCA (Direzione Generale Costruzioni Aeronautiche) a project based on a twin-engined fast liaison and unarmed reconnaissance aircraft to be used especially in Africa. The project was designed QR.14.
The aircraft was mainly of wooden construction. The fuselage was built in 3 sections: the front, up to the edge of the wing, of duralumin; the middle, on the wing plane, of wood, and a wooden tail. The 3 circular shape sections were bolted together.
The wing is also divided into 3 parts (center and wings), was of elliptical plan, biconvex profile and was based on a main spar, complemented by a "shell" (?), and a secondary one with the entire wooden structure. The shape of the wing and rudders reminded the He.111.
The engines were two Alfa Romeo 110bis developing 130hp each, with two-blade metal propellers, and they were arranged below the wing in gondolas, in which the main landing gear retracted.
Pilots seats (dual control) were side by side in the front row, and behind there were the 2 seats for passengers. Access was through high hinged and detachable doors. Behind the second row of seats there was room for the payload.
Gen. Fiore expressed some doubts about the expected performance of the aircraft (maximum speed, empty weight, and load).
The designer suggested to product the aircraft at the Costruzioni Aeronautiche Taliedo, but Fiore excepted the factory had good skill in wooden construction but no experience on engined planes, as they have been building only gliders.
On 5 March 1940 the Gen. Pricolo proposed the aircraft for the 2nd competition for a RUNA medium size tourism aircraft, requiring the submission of the project to the Projects Committee. (RUNA was a kind of Aeroclub)
On the same time the creator demanded the availability of wind tunnel tests to be made in Guidonia, he was authorized and the test was made in April 1940.
The construction began at C.A. Taliedo, with the aim of Eng. Silvio Del Proposto and Eng. Amilcare Porro of Caproni Taliedo and the workers of C.A.T. made available by the owner, Mr. Cesare Gallieni.
The continuation of the work and the construction of the prototype also requested a decent amount of funds, which was guaranteed by the industrialist Mr. Farina.
The work, however, proceeded very slowly and intermittently, Queirolo decided to sell the business to Farina and so the construction ended in 1942.
At the same time the C.A.T. was bought by Caproni, so it was decided that any production would take place at the ORLA plant in Rieti, a company owned by the Caproni group.
In March 1943 two aircraft were ordered, with a contract of £. 160,000. No informations about Military Registrations Numbers.
On 17 February 1943 was requested the availability of Lt. Edgardo Vagli of 22° Fighter Group (Linate - Milan) as test pilot, but on 9 March this was denied.
On 3 May 1943 three used engines (taken out from a Cant.Z 1012) were sent by Direzione Generale Servizi to Farina. The need of using second hand and worn engines clearly indicates the situation in which the country and its armed forces were struggling in.
On 17 June 1943 the DGCA urged the availability of a pilot for testing, but the ministry imposed a delay for the emergency of the administrative situation. So came the September 8 and the armistice.
In spite of this critical situation the aircraft didn't suffer any damage and Marinavia (successor of Farina) in 1946 was able to install two Alfa 110bis engines developing 130HP each.
The first flight was made on 3 October 1947 by pilot Nello Valzania, with good results and was given the Civil Registration I-MFTA.
It was planned to build 25 examples and the aircraft was presented at many airshows, winning the 1st prize at the Premio Milano (12 October 1947).
Unfortunately, the contingent stagnant economic situation in the country led to the discarding of the entire project, and the aircraft was abandoned in Linate Airport area, where it was worn-out, ignored by all.

I'm wondering what the Regia Aeronautica was planning to use the Levriero for. Coastal patrol, perhaps?

EDIT: Never mind, just spotted a line I somehow skipped!

Sorry about the second move of this topic. After finding it in "The Bar" and putting it in "Postwar Projects" I realized from reading the last couple of posts that it was actually a wartime project... :-[

hesham said:
Thank you Nico,

Was this article related to this subject ?,and they mention M.F.1 V,M.F.3 V & M.F.4 V.

http://www.avia-it.com/act/biblioteca/periodici/PDF%20Riviste/Ala/L'Ala%201947%20011.pdf

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    414.4 KB · Views: 403
hesham said:
Was this article related to this subject ?,and they mention M.F.1 V,M.F.3 V & M.F.4 V.

http://www.avia-it.com/act/biblioteca/periodici/PDF%20Riviste/Ala/L'Ala%201947%20011.pdf

Those were a gliders.

http://www.avia-it.com/act/biblioteca/periodici/PDF%20Riviste/Ala/L'Ala%201948%2002.pdf

Attachments

• Marinavia.png
    Marinavia.png
    475.7 KB · Views: 312
Found few more pictures here http://www.aviastore.it/?p=8831
(foto archivio F.Anselmino)

Attachments

• 103_Marinavia_QR.14_I-MFTA_Linate-probabilmente_1948_archivio_F.Anselmino-copia.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 34
  • 103_Marinavia_pubblicita?_1947-copia-1024x683.jpg
    103_Marinavia_pubblicita?_1947-copia-1024x683.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 33
From Ailes 8/1947,

the Marinavia M.F.3 V glider.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    385.4 KB · Views: 149
  • 2.png
    2.png