Site Upgrade Completed - post your feedback here!

Well, its basically done now, but still a lot of tweaks to do.

Please let me know if you find things that don't work or have suggestions.

Thanks guys :D

Hopefully its similar enough to be familiar - but improved. Its been about 3 years since any major work has been done.

Thanks for the smooth and useful changes!

New image handling is very cool.
Looking forward for new pleasnat discoveries :cool:

Wow, look very nice. Great work. I love SPF :-*

Maveric

Many thanks for the upgrade. I really like the new design; the site looks really clean and sharp.

Only issue I've had so far is that some pages are taking a very long time (or even failing) to load. Others are very quick. No obvious pattern to it. Has any one experienced anything similar?

Yes, I've seen the same thing. Trying to figure out why. The server is much higher spec, but may need configuring somewhat.

Counter-intuitively, I've disabled caching and it seems to have improved things. The new server is so fast, its not really necessary anyway.

I'm seeing a small amount of packet loss, this is likely to be the cause of the occasional page not loading. I may have to speak with the hosting company if it carries on.

Love the new motto. Glad you brought it over from the beta site!

Very nice new look, many thanks for your efforts Overscan. Re:Mr. Sweetman, well maybe he will join in here sometime , that would be interesting hehe ... :p

Thanks again, pages now reliably loading quickly.

I was having a bit of trouble with search too (ie empty list of results when the list clearly shouldn't be empty!) but seems ok now :)

Dear Overscan and Mods, many thanks for your efforts creating this great new look! :)

I really love the label
new.gif
for new posts. In the colour red so superb!!! :)

I like the new way pictures are presented. The new site looks cleaner than the old one. Thumbs up.

lancer21 said:
Very nice new look, many thanks for your efforts Overscan. Re:Mr. Sweetman, well maybe he will join in here sometime , that would be interesting hehe ... :p

He's an active member of the forum. I leave it to you to find out which one.

I love the new design
had the worry with Transfere some of Picture or Data goes lost
(wat happend sadly with ForumAstronautico.it )
But all went good

...Excellent job on installing the upgrade. Of course, the real test will be if the search engine actually gives usable results :eek:

Paul,

I like the new look very much. A few comments on layout, to be taken with the pinch of salt that they come from someone who often views the site on a small netbook with a dodgy dongle!

The top of the page has a lot of white space. Can the search/login/donate fields be integrated with the banner? When logged in I see my avatar is in that space, but I'm happy not to see it there, or much smaller.

I'd also like to see the latest posts at the top of the home page, with the section headers below.

Basically, I am too busy (OK, lazy!) to scroll.

Just my ha'penny's worth. And none of it detracts from the fact I really like the new look.

Mike

You can minimise the headers with the little white ^ next to the right of the donate button. This removes the avatar, news, etc.

I am looking at trying to improve the layout, its basically a minor customisation of the default theme for SMF 2.0 at this point.

Tweaked the donation button a bit - its kind of a temp location for it anyway.

Site looks OK on my computer at 1024x600, good in 1366 x 768, and ideal at 1680x1050 :)

Thanks Paul.

Now I' ve spotted the ^ I realise I should change my contrast settings!

I'm looking at a compact theme for smartphones / tablets.

Also looking at possible Facebook integration. Not sure about that one :)

"Post reply" doesn't work on iPad. Specifically I can't type text on "post reply" window. Everything else works ok and, for instance, text can introduced into the "search" tool...

Anybody else has found it?

Arjen said:
I like the new way pictures are presented. The new site looks cleaner than the old one. Thumbs up.

The picture presentation is indeed much better. Very good work ;D

Well Done! I like it. Thank You.

What does the icon "C3" next to the URL or in the tab mean?

Attachments

• SPF_Icon_Tab_June2011.png
    SPF_Icon_Tab_June2011.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 118
There is no c3 logo next to the url. I had the same problem with the previous version of the forum, it picked up a 'favicon' as it is called from another forum I visited and bookmarked. The current forum has no favicon.

Cheers,

Rob

I like the new look. I think that it also runs a bit faster / smoother.

You've avoided the problems that other places have had with "upgrades".

Regards,
Gerard

Wow, bigger, clearer and brighter !!

Also, it doesn't seem to 'hang occasionally' during loading-- Significant speed-up at the server ?

One small request: Could you put a 'sticky' somewhere with the tale of that wondrous air-frame featured ??

Love the new look! The new logo looks great too.

One thing though, why is the "Who's Online" page blocked again? It was accessible in the beta, so I assumed you were going ahead with having it open in the official upgrade of the forum software.