Register here

Author Topic: Aerojet-General Sea Dragon  (Read 9254 times)

Offline RLBH

• CLEARANCE: Secret
Re: Aerojet-General Sea Dragon
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2011, 03:12:22 pm »
I think some aspects of it are still classified so that's why you can't get that last part.

Bob Clark

Now that's an interesting thought......what could be classified about a BDB using pressure fed engines?
May not be classified, just restricted by ITAR. Technical information on how to build a big, powerful rocket simply and inexpensively sounds like just the thing that the US Government would rather not have widely promulgated.

Offline blackstar

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2011, 06:47:19 pm »
I think some aspects of it are still classified so that's why you can't get that last part.

Bob Clark

Now that's an interesting thought......what could be classified about a BDB using pressure fed engines?
May not be classified, just restricted by ITAR. Technical information on how to build a big, powerful rocket simply and inexpensively sounds like just the thing that the US Government would rather not have widely promulgated.

And ITAR rules are so amorphous and vague and badly-interpreted that it could turn out that there is NOTHING sensitive in there, but somebody thinks there might be and so they don't release it.

Heck, about 18 months ago I was in a briefing about future planetary exploration spacecraft concepts and somebody was showing some PowerPoint slides about a balloon for exploring Titan. Nothing exotic about this at all--it's essentially a hot-air balloon with the heat provided by an RTG (plutonium battery). But somebody noted that one of the slides had a dimension for the balloon (about 40 feet in diameter) and suggested in all seriousness that it was probably protected by ITAR.  (Easy to fix: the guy opened his PP file and deleted the dimension).

Yeah, we have to keep the North Koreans from building hot-air ballons for Titan.

Offline Grey Havoc

• The path not taken.
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2011, 05:14:44 am »
Ah, ITAR, the gift that just keeps on giving.  ::)
The sole imperative of a government, once instituted, is to survive.

Offline sferrin

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2011, 06:24:24 am »
Had a small picture of a foam, no detail, mockup slip out into the wild and the $hit hit the fan.  Never mind that high res screen shots of the 3D model and video have been publicly released.  I've heard of things as simple as Magpul magazines being ITAR restricted- when anybody can walk into a gun shop anywhere in the US and buy them right off the shelf no questions asked.
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline Orionblamblam

• Secret Projects Guru
  • Top Contributor
    • Aerospace Projects Review
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2011, 07:56:37 am »

NTRS can only release what they actually *have.* It could be that they simply don't have a copy of Volume II to scan and release. Or it got lost in the bureaucracy.
Aerospace Projects Review

And so the endless circle of life comes to an end, meaningless and grim. Why did they live, and why did they die? No reason. Two hundred million years of evolution snuffed out, for in the end Nature is horrific and teaches us nothing

Offline Michel Van

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2018, 09:07:40 am »
Nice Video about Seadragon

I love Strange Technology

Offline Archibald

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2018, 09:50:26 am »
This.is.fucking.AWESOME.
Conservatoire de l'Air et de l'Espace d'Aquitaine
http://www.caea.info/en/plan.php

Profanity: weaker mind trying to speak forcefully

Political correctness: just bury your head in the sand for the sake of appeasement and "peace for our time"
- https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serge_Dassault#Affaires_

Offline merriman

• David Douglass Merriman lll
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2018, 02:18:13 pm »
Excellent job. I suspended my disbelief in ten-seconds. You sold the concept!

David
We're the extra fuel they may need, Stanton...

Offline George Allegrezza

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2018, 02:55:25 pm »
Thatís pretty impressive.

Offline Moose

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2018, 09:39:20 am »
Impressive video. The Apollo CM looks amusingly tiny perched atop that monster.

Offline Orionblamblam

• Secret Projects Guru
  • Top Contributor
    • Aerospace Projects Review
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2018, 12:36:34 pm »
Nice video, but some odd  changes were made from the actual Aerojet design.
Aerospace Projects Review

And so the endless circle of life comes to an end, meaningless and grim. Why did they live, and why did they die? No reason. Two hundred million years of evolution snuffed out, for in the end Nature is horrific and teaches us nothing

Offline athpilot

• Fly me to the moon...
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2018, 07:38:30 am »
Really impressive. We should not forget to thank to maker of this video: Hazegrayart. His videos are just amazing (please look into his YouTube-Channel!) B)

Offline robunos

• You're Mad, You Are.....
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2018, 08:27:29 am »
Ok, a stupid question, but one that's been bothering me ever since I learned of the Sea Dragon.
If the Sea Dragon is floating in the ocean, filled with cryogenic propellants, why doesn't it turn into a giant, floating ice cube? After all, we've all seen pictures and videos of Saturns and Atlases covered in ice before and during launch . . .

cheers,
           Robin.
Where ARE the Daleks when you need them......

Offline Michel Van

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2018, 01:25:11 pm »
Ok, a stupid question, but one that's been bothering me ever since I learned of the Sea Dragon.
If the Sea Dragon is floating in the ocean, filled with cryogenic propellants, why doesn't it turn into a giant, floating ice cube? After all, we've all seen pictures and videos of Saturns and Atlases covered in ice before and during launch . . .

cheers,
           Robin.

there will be a ice sheet on Sea Dragon, but once that Monster take off, it will rain pieces of ice down into ocean

Nice video, but some odd  changes were made from the actual Aerojet design.

I Notice that too, i wonder what for documentation use Hazegrayart to render this Sea Dragon
I love Strange Technology

Offline Archibald

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2018, 12:10:35 am »
Yeah the video author made some changes to the design. Still, the underwater ignition is awesome. Looks as if a tactical nuke exploded underwater  :o
Conservatoire de l'Air et de l'Espace d'Aquitaine
http://www.caea.info/en/plan.php

Profanity: weaker mind trying to speak forcefully

Political correctness: just bury your head in the sand for the sake of appeasement and "peace for our time"
- https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serge_Dassault#Affaires_