Register here

Author Topic: AIM-120 AMRAAM projects  (Read 40432 times)

Offline bring_it_on

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
  • I really should change my personal text
Re: AIM-120 AMRAAM projects
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2017, 06:33:46 am »
Raytheon to leverage hypersonic R&D for next-generation AAM solution

Raytheon Missile Systems (RMS) is expected to leverage its expanded research in hypersonic weapons technologies to inform the development of its next-generation air-to-air missile solution as a follow-on to the current AIM-120 Advanced Medium Range Air-to-Air Missile (AMRAAM) capability....

Bussing said that the company expects to fly a demonstrator from one/or both of the TBG or HAWC programmes in "the near-to-mid-term".

In the interim, Bussing said, Raytheon is party to the trade studies that will inform the weapons development and selection for the US Air Force's prospective next-generation air dominance platform. "Raytheon, by definition, is the biggest missile house, certainly in the free world, and the Air Force flies AIM-9Xs, AMRAAMS, which are the type of things you'd expect to see on these advanced aircraft, so we are actively involved in those future trade studies. Everything from low speed sub-sonic weapons to hypersonic weapons will be considered within that trade space. At this point, these are all studies, but in all likelihood the government will be looking at the full gambit of possible options."

In terms of the AIM-120 AMRAAM/AIM-9X product line, we are looking at the follow-on generation for these and other weapon systems. Part of the interest in investing as we have across the hypersonic weapons space is that you can leverage that suite of game-changing technologies to deliver, we believe, some very unique capabilities - not just game-changing, but asymmetric enablers and differentiators. And a future hypersonic air-to-air application is certainly part of that trade space.

Old radar types never die; they just phased array - Unknown

Offline danwild6

• CLEARANCE: Restricted
  • I really should change my personal text
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2018, 09:18:40 pm »
Anyone hear about the development of an 4 stack amraam launcher for each of the the f-35 weapons bays?

Offline SpudmanWP

« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2018, 09:20:28 pm »
Never.

Only ever seen a 2-per A2G station for the F-35.
WE4-45-1-08     OMHIWDMB
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Offline TomS

« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2018, 03:52:58 am »
There are concepts for three AMRAAM in each bay.  Never heard of four. It's probably volumetrically impossible.

http://www.airforcemag.com/DRArchive/Pages/2017/March%202017/March%2028%202017/Letís-Do-More-Shots.aspx
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 11:04:16 am by flateric »

Offline SpudmanWP

« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2018, 10:32:05 am »
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 10:35:03 am by SpudmanWP »
WE4-45-1-08     OMHIWDMB
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Offline FighterJock

« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2018, 02:16:09 am »
An interesting concept, I think that it is strange how Lockheed Martin never designed the F-35 with bigger internal weapons bays to begin with.

Offline TomS

« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2018, 02:59:45 am »
They designed to the requirements.  Anything bigger would have cost and weighed more, in an aircraft that had weight and cost issues.