"Arbeitsflugzeug" Program

Wurger

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Hi guys,

this interesting program was iniciated by the RLM when the Bomber-B program was antecipated to be a failure. It must be described as a "workhorse" or a multipurpose aircraft. Here I post some of the tenders, e.g. the Heinkel P.1065/1055 and the Blohm&Voss P.163. The Dornier contestant was the Do 417. Does anyone know more competitors to this particular program?

Attachments

• Digitalizar0001.gif
    Digitalizar0001.gif
    37.3 KB · Views: 1,261
  • Digitalizar0002a.GIF
    Digitalizar0002a.GIF
    51.4 KB · Views: 1,213
  • Digitalizar0003.gif
    Digitalizar0003.gif
    107.2 KB · Views: 1,183
  • Digitalizar0004.gif
    Digitalizar0004.gif
    55.1 KB · Views: 1,120
  • Digitalizar0005a.GIF
    Digitalizar0005a.GIF
    67.8 KB · Views: 1,126
The Blohm & Voss proposal would have been 'interesting', from an aircrew point of view.

Wurger said:
Hi guys,

this interesting program was iniciated by the RLM when the Bomber-B program was antecipated to be a failure. It must be described as a "workhorse" or a multipurpose aircraft. Here I post some of the tenders, e.g. the Heinkel P.1065/1055 and the Blohm&Voss P.163. The Dornier contestant was the Do 417. Does anyone know more competitors to this particular program?

Hi,

may be you meant Dornier Do.317,the Dornier Do.417 is not right.

Hello Hesham,

thanks for joining up. No, I am quite correct. The Dornier Do 417 was a real project, cited and published by Nowarra or Grihel. Please see our own thread:

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,4781.0/highlight,dornier+do+417.html

Anything to add, ladds? It would be most welcomed.

Any idea what the twin 20mm were supposed to do on the P.1055?

Grey Havoc said:
The Blohm & Voss proposal would have been 'interesting', from an aircrew point of view.

Well, it was abandoned after they created add a second crew pod to the wing-tip of a BV-141 and decided it was just a very bad idea.

I,ve got the whole project proposal from Blohm und Voss. Will post images when I get a chance

Attachments

• img255.jpg
    img255.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 113
  • img254.jpg
    img254.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 110
  • img262.jpg
    img262.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 109
  • img264.jpg
    img264.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 121
  • img268.jpg
    img268.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 127
  • img269.jpg
    img269.jpg
    987.8 KB · Views: 131
  • img261.jpg
    img261.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 147
  • img191.jpg
    img191.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 159
I,ve got the whole project proposal from Blohm und Voss. Will post images when I get a chance

Please, please.

The advantage of the B+V design, from the crew's viewpoint, is that any fighter pilot's going to aim for the middle bit.

Many, many thanks for this great stuff, Gary. Boy, I love our hobby!!!!

Thanx, Blohm und Voss projects are my fav.

Posted last couple images

The entire document contains about 157 pages which are mostly text and charts.

Gary

Hi Gary,

please feel free to post anything you have ;D on german WW2 projects, not necessarily by B&V ;) . Thanks once again.

sorry for the up,but do you have some other document about the heinkel P.1055 please?

Those MGs on wing tips have great arcs of fire, but I suspect that rolling manuvers would make gunners airsick with all the changes in Gravity.

riggerrob said:
Those MGs on wing tips have great arcs of fire, but I suspect that rolling manuvers would make gunners airsick with all the changes in Gravity.

Not more so than normal. There were similar concerns with the P-82 and it was found that the pilot/co-pilot didn't experience any undue effects because of the off center seating arrangement.

The Luft46.com page on this design says this about the configuration, "In order to test this unconventional arrangement, the asymmetrical BV 141 had a second cockpit installed on the wingtip with the controls coupled to those in the main cockpit. This led to the discovery that this arrangement warranted no further development.: Does anyone have any pics if and/or other information on that modified BV.141?

Source: http://www.luft46.com/bv/bvp163.html

In the FRX Magazine N° 68 there's an article written by U.W.Jack (member here, too) just about this theme, including a
reconstruction of that testbed.

"In order to test this unconventional arrangement, the asymmetrical BV 141 had a second cockpit installed on the wingtip with the controls coupled to those in the main cockpit. This led to the discovery that this arrangement warranted no further development."

It would seem that the frontal area would be at least as much as for a conventional twin engine design, at least if the DB 613 was used as the engine. Powerplant non-availability would have been a fundamental issue in any case.

cluttonfred said:
The Luft46.com page on this design says this about the configuration, "In order to test this unconventional arrangement, the asymmetrical BV 141 had a second cockpit installed on the wingtip with the controls coupled to those in the main cockpit. This led to the discovery that this arrangement warranted no further development.: Does anyone have any pics if and/or other information on that modified BV.141?

There are a few more pics I've seen in various books, but can't remember which ones off the top of my head.

Attachments

• bv141tip2.jpg
    bv141tip2.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 326
riggerrob said:

Quite possibly, but, if nothing else, it would have complicated their aiming problem.

cluttonfred said:
The Luft46.com page on this design says this about the configuration, "In order to test this unconventional arrangement, the asymmetrical BV 141 had a second cockpit installed on the wingtip with the controls coupled to those in the main cockpit. This led to the discovery that this arrangement warranted no further development.

This makes me wonder what the test objectives were...to test an "unconventional arrangement", the designers imagined an even more unconventional arrangement.

Thanks for posting the test bed image. It's odd to me that B&V even proposed the wingtip fuselage pod when the BV.141 layout with the pod just outside the propeller arc had already proven quite workable. Two slim, fighter-like pods in positions similar to the BV.141 with two crew in each one would have minimized the effect of the seating off the centerline but still given the gunners clear arcs of fire. The position of the horizontal tail and the types of turrets could have been adjusted to leave no blind spots.

Here is a link to a good explanation of the aerodynamic advantages of the asymmetric design:

http://www.nurflugel.com/Nurflugel/n_o_d/weird_01.htm

sienar said:
cluttonfred said:

There are a few more pics I've seen in various books, but can't remember which ones off the top of my head.

I've always assumed that this image was a fake made up using a smaller copy of the BV141 fuselage. It's hard for me to see how the structure of the normal wingtip--as the image appears to show--could be adjusted to work with an extra nacelle. Any ideas on the provenance of the picture?

iverson said:
sienar said:
cluttonfred said:

I've always assumed that this image was a fake made up using a smaller copy of the BV141 fuselage. It's hard for me to see how the structure of the normal wingtip--as the image appears to show--could be adjusted to work with an extra nacelle. Any ideas on the provenance of the picture?

Found the source pic, so it is definitely fake.

Attachments

• Bv-141_flight-Copy_zpsc67c8b7c.jpg~original.jpg
    Bv-141_flight-Copy_zpsc67c8b7c.jpg~original.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 153