10.5 cm leFH 18 Howitzer on the Pz38(t) Chassis Design?

Red Lancer

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Was there ever a design considered to mount the 10.5 cm leFH 18 Howitzer on the Pz38(t) Chassis: similar to a Wespe?

As the Pz 38(t) chassis was similar in size to the Pz II chassis it might have allowed PzII chassis to be removed from production altogether (Pz II Luchs excepted)

If not any thoughts on how viable such a design would be, would be appreciated.

Not on the Pz38(t); however, I've seen 4 designs(2 by Krupp, 2 by Rheinmetall-Borsig) using the Pz38(d) derivative of the Pz38(t). The Pz38(d) is lengthened compared to the Pz38(t).

One of the Krupp designs has a tall, open-backed, open-roofed superstructure mounted on the turret ring(seems to be capable of traverse); the second one has a front-mounted engine, with an open-backed, open-roofed superstructure on the rear that can traverse at least 90° to each side.

The Rheinmetall designs follow the same general lines; one has front-mounted engine with an open-roofed superstructure capable of full traverse, the other has a rear engine with an open-roofed turret on the turret ring.

There were also plans to mount the StuH 42 105mm howitzer on the Hetzer and a Hetzer-alike derivative of the Pz38(d) chassis.

Source: Die Panzer-Kampfwagen 35(t) und 38(t) und Ihre Abarten, Walter J. Spielberger, Motorbuch Verlag

10.5 cm leFH 18 Howitzer on the Pz38(t) Chassis shuold look like this.

Attachments

• 15 cm sIG 33 on the Pz38(t) Chassis (1).jpg
    15 cm sIG 33 on the Pz38(t) Chassis (1).jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 123
  • 15 cm sIG 33 on the Pz38(t) Chassis (2).jpg
    15 cm sIG 33 on the Pz38(t) Chassis (2).jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 115
panzer1946 said:
those 2 photos show the Sig 33 150 mm mounted, NOT a 105 mm.

He meant that it would have been a similar installation.

there are probably paper-panzer versions of a 105mm being installed, but I don;t think they are 'similar' or 'should look like...' the photos submitted.

Off the top of my head, I believe the only installation (planned projects) of a 105mm was on the 38(d) chassis, lengthened, not the one he is talking about.

-Tony

here are some paper-panzer samples on 38(d) chassis. the 2nd one for the top is a 105mm version.

Attachments

• Waffentrager05.gif
    Waffentrager05.gif
    49 KB · Views: 179
panzer1946 said:
here are some paper-panzer samples on 38(d) chassis. the 2nd one for the top is a 105mm version.

That would be the Krupp front-engine design I mentioned on the second post of the thread.