Register here

Author Topic: Tacit Rainbow: Northrop AGM/BGM-136 Anti-Radar Drone  (Read 14603 times)

Offline BillRo

• Top Contributor
  • CLEARANCE: Secret
Re: Tacit Rainbow: Northrop AGM/BGM-136 Anti-Radar Drone
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2012, 09:03:37 am »
The wing had a post on it and it fitted into a socket on the body with a cam track; as the wing rotated by spring power it popped up into the gap making a nice faired surface. The bomb lugs on the top also were spring loaded to fair into the upper surface. The spade at the back was for air launch to stabilize the bird until the tails deployed; it was then jettisoned. There are two versions, one for fighter carriage as on the F-16 TER and the smaller one for the B-52 rotary bomb racks, a geometry issue.

Offline BillRo

• Top Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2012, 09:13:36 am »
As to the aft fuselage shape I am not too sure; I thing we needed room for the rudder actuator and for aero drag reasons you cannot have surface closing angles greater than 7 degrees. If you continued the lower fuselage surface out, the missile would be a foot longer and heavier so they just chopped it off.

Offline AeroFranz

• Aerospace Engineer
  • Top Contributor
  • CLEARANCE: Top Secret
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2012, 12:35:56 pm »
Thanks for the explanation - I am always curious to find out the reason behind unconventional technical solutions, and this air vehicle presents quite a few.  :)
All modern aircraft have four dimensions: span, length, height and politics.   TSR.2 got the first three right - Sir Sydney Camm

Offline BillRo

• Top Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2012, 05:36:13 pm »
I looked at some pix of it in a structural test rig and it has a socket at the center of the lower bulged aft fuselage. I would not be surprised if the ground launch booster rocket was supposed to fit there - if that ever happened.

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2019, 12:01:14 am »
McDonnell Douglas Ground Launched Tacit Rainbow mugs
AGM-136A Test Team patch
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 11:20:11 am by flateric »
"There are many disbelievers in
stealth, more than a few of them truly technically ignorant and proud of it." Sherm Mullin, Skunk Works

Offline BillRo

• Top Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2019, 09:14:03 am »
Interesting Flateric; the configuration on the cup and sticker (high wing, apparently cruciform tail) is not the same as the Northrop design as flown. Is it an early version or did McDonnel Douglas (as shown on the cup) have an unsuccessful competitor to Northrop?

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2019, 11:13:10 am »
A competitor! That's adding rarity!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 11:16:03 am by flateric »
"There are many disbelievers in
stealth, more than a few of them truly technically ignorant and proud of it." Sherm Mullin, Skunk Works

Offline PaulMM (Overscan)

• Secret Projects Forum Founder
  • Administrator
  • Paul Martell-Mead
    • Secret Projects
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2019, 12:07:26 pm »
Interesting Flateric; the configuration on the cup and sticker (high wing, apparently cruciform tail) is not the same as the Northrop design as flown. Is it an early version or did McDonnel Douglas (as shown on the cup) have an unsuccessful competitor to Northrop?

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a379856.pdf

In January 1990, the Air Force competitively awarded Raytheon
Company a $29.8 million fixed-price-incentive-fee contract with
an award fee as a second source producer of the Tacit Rainbow.

Pretty sure Raytheon, McDonnell-Douglas and E-Systems were all subcontractors/partners to Northrop on Tacit Rainbow, rather than a second proposal team. The drawing may be notional - was Tacit Rainbox shape classified?
"They can't see our arses for dust."

- Sir Sydney Camm

Offline BillRo

• Top Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2019, 10:10:18 am »
Shape was classified. We had to come up with a representative item to develop the container with the same dimensions, inertia and weight that looked nothing like TR; I called it the "Mule". I wonder what McDonnel-Douglas did. It had a Williams engine.