Stingray's Rotorcraft Forum

Stargazer

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Stingray is a young man with a keen interest in everything rotary... He has created a website that attempts to list every known rotorcraft project, past and present, and is already a valuable reference source to many.

Recently, he has expanded the concept by adding a forum to the website, with very dynamic and speedy input from the forum to the database whenever some new type or information surfaces. Several Secret Projects members (notably hesham and myself) are also members there, and I was recently offered to also act as a moderator there. The SRF forum is far from perfect, and there is room for much improvement (notably in the way the various topics are categorized) but I believe it's a great project and ought to be encouraged...

So if you haven't paid Stingray's site and forum a visit, please do!

The website: Stingray's List of Rotorcraft

The forum: Stingray's Rotorcraft Forum

Thanks for posting the links to my sites here, Stéphane.

I'd like to also add that I'm working on a special sub-archive for the Mi-24 "Hind" helicopter. I'm attempting to add everything I can find regarding this wonderful Russian machine... information, photos, drawings, data, etc.

I've yet to complete the history section, as new information seems to surface almost every day in my research.

https://sites.google.com/site/stingraysheligalleries/Home

If there is anything on the PKT window guns - it would be interesting to see.
Also, if you search for S-24, you'll find some pictures of the 240mm rocket (used for long range work in Chechnya).

Some of the variants listed are very exotic (eg. downturned tails). I'd love to see some evidence that they actually exist (even as paper projects)!

I have pictures of the Hind with window guns here:
https://sites.google.com/site/stingraysheligalleries/other-variants-and-modifications

And I did find some interesting pictures of an Mi-24 with pylons carrying the S-24 rocket, so thanks for telling me about it. I will add the pictures soon.

Note that some of the variants listed at the end here might be fictious. I still have them up since they came from what I've thought to be a reliable source.

I have an announcement to make regarding my site as well as my presence in the aviation community.

The forum is now closed. Thanks to all who have supported my little childhood dream and contributed, but due to the recent shift in interest it's time for me to move on. You guys have done a lot, from my early days of being a cringy teenager, to later times when I finally figured out how to properly research and contribute. SPF has always been my favorite forum and without it I wouldn't have the fond memories of my own site. But I just can't do this anymore. I'm autistic and have self esteem issues, so trying to keep the site and my dream alive has been a long uphill battle, especially considering the constant lack of activity or interest. I wanted to make the site a definitive resource for everything rotary, to make it more original than just taking material from here, but in the end all it was was a blatant copy of SPF with a micro community that I'm surprised stuck around as long as they did. There is really no point in keeping it up seeing how nothing was really exclusive.

As far as my presence here and my interest in aviation, I'm sad to say that I don't see a point in indulging in it anymore. I've pretty much lost interest at this point, so I don't see a return anytime soon. Except for the day when by book is finally released and available for purchase, I will be sure to post that information here. Yes, I've announced on SRF last year that I had a book on Yakovlev helicopter developments in the works, and as of now it is finished except for some photo captions and formatting issues that I'm working out with Konstantin of Avico Press, but will not be fully completed until I move and have better internet. So far I see this as my final contribution to the community and hope you find it useful once it's available. Again, without you guys it wouldn't be possible.

Thank you and best wishes to all.

My dear Stingray,

you know how we are a best friends,the closure of your site is a big mistake,during the
last weeks I get a new Helicopter Projects and I want to display it in your site,we get
a new everyday.

Stingray,
I have enjoyed your contributions and appreciated your enthusiasm over the past years.
I'm sad that you feel that your website did not succeed, but I wouldn't be hard on yourself. You set out to do something hard. Worse would have been to sit around and not do anything. Hell, i don't dare putting up a website, the amount of work required scares me!
For what it's worth, even though i was not a member, i often ended up on your site when researching rotorcraft topics, so you obviously had collected a lot of valuable information!
Regardless of what you decide to do with your website, i hope you will stick around with us on SPF. And if you don't, i wish you the best of luck with whatever interest you decide to pursue. I think you will be successful because you seem to put a lot of effort and work in what you do.

best wishes from your SPF pal Aerofranz

I am sorry to hear that your site is closing down. That is a real pity because it is one of the better resources for information on a lot of the more obscure helicopters, many of which are mostly forgotten now. The problem with helicopter-related websites (and books, models etc) are that they seem to play second fiddle to the fixed-wing designs in most people's minds. Only the dedicated rotary-wing enthusiasts fully appreciate sites like yours. I hope you maintain your interest in aviation and good luck with the book.

500 Fan.

Well Konstantin and I have had another falling out, and I'm not interested in patching it up again, so it looks like I will need to find another publisher, preferably one with access to a decent photo archive. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

We sure miss your work either regardless. :(

Hi all. I suppose I've made a mistake in closing the site, as several people have said to me. Apparently it wasn't as much of a failure as I thought.

I think all I needed was a break to get my life together, as times have been tough dealing with so many issues; losing my house from a fire, moving from place to place trying to start over, struggling financially, and most recently my gender identity. But for the most part I've found some stability, and after some time to think more on it, I've decided that I might reopen the site after I can afford to get my archive repaired (the logic board on the hard drive needs to be replaced) plus get a few other life issues squared away. Hopefully it'll happen in just a few more months from now.

I apologize to all for this long absence. My enthusiasm to contribute to the community is still strong and I look forward to continuing from where I left off, though it might be a little awkward since I've been out of the loop for so long, lol.

Still not sure what to do with my Yakovlev helicopter book though... might have to abandon that project.

Last edited:
My dear Stingray,

I am always supporting you,and your site is very successful,and as you remember,you was depended
on my advises with dear Stargazer,one time you dreamed by unknown helicopter Project,and you said :
I will ask both of us when you waked up,I hope you will back again.

Thank you Hesham. :)

Still not sure what to do with my Yakovlev helicopter book though... might have to abandon that project.
Pity about that. Hope you could go on with the project in the future

I'd love to, but I lost a valuable source of exclusive material, and I don't know anyone who's willing to help get it beyond a lonely and pictureless text document.

My dear Stingray,

I have a lot books about Russian aircraft by their language also a more than 2000 magazines,you can
ask me to get some materials.

SRF IS NOW RE-OPENED

The wait time for repairing my archive is unpredictable at this point, so for now I'll focus on maintaining the site and casually interacting as much as possible, and of course resort to internet researching if need be. However, I'm in need of new staff! If anyone is interested in a position, and can regularly log on and contribute or just engage in conversation when they can, please let me know as I would greatly appreciate the assistance.

Looking forward to everyone's return! And maybe see some new faces perhaps? ;)

Last edited:
Glad to see you're back online, if you fancy a bit of a change to the graphical look of the forum, I'm happy to help out with some graphic design.

I would be immensely grateful for your assistance! I've been meaning to enhance several things (or perhaps a massive overhaul is due, lol). Would be happy to discuss this via PM. Much thanks. :)

Glad to see you're back online, if you fancy a bit of a change to the graphical look of the forum, I'm happy to help out with some graphic design.

I would be immensely grateful for your assistance! I've been meaning to enhance several things (or perhaps a massive overhaul is due, lol). Would be happy to discuss this via PM. Much thanks. :)
Hello.
I can´t log in your Stingray site.