Platt-LePage XR-1 and XR-1A twin-rotor helicopters

hesham said:
Many thanks to you my dear Platt-LePage,

and please what was the PL-2 & PL-7 ?.

Please can you tell us about them,and thanks.

Amazing Info dear Platt-LePage,

and what about PL-2 ?,and thanks.

Platt-LePage Aircraft said:
Let's just say that the Platt-LePage Aircraft Company, and it's serious design work began with the machine that became the XR-1.

Thank you,and you meant maybe PL-2 was the XR-1 ?.

The PL-3 was the design that became the XR-1.

The basic design was the similar to the XR-1, with some changes to the side cockpit glazing, for better visibility.

Their real design and construction work began when Platt-LePage Aircraft set up in Eddystone Pa, on the grounds of the Baldwin Locomotive Works.

They had started construction of the helicopter shortly before winning the Dorsey Bill contract, and once they had the XR-1 contract in hand, they expanded their facilities accordingly. (They remained a fairly small company)

This photo is currently for sale on eBay for about $2.50.

Attachments

• Platt LePage XR-1.jpg
    Platt LePage XR-1.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 586
From JAWA 1947,

here is a more info about PL-11,PL-12 & PL-14.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    150.7 KB · Views: 382
I first read that excerpt in JAWA when I was a kid in school back in the 1970s.

Unfortunately by the time that was published Platt-LePage had been closed since Aug. of 1946.
One ex-PL-LP employee I interviewed mentioned she was working on drawings for the smaller Tilt-Rotor one day, and literally the next day, working on drawings for a piece of industrial equipment. That is how fast they were shut down, and the personnel moved to another company. (non aircraft)

From Ali Nouva 10/1951,

what was this Project ?.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    553.1 KB · Views: 216
Platt-LePage Aircraft was closed down in August of 1946.

The picture doesn't correspond to anything I've seen regarding Platt-LePage Aircraft Co.

It's possible the artist lifted some details from Haviland Platt's later VTOL patent applications.

Platt-LePage Aircraft was closed down in August of 1946.

The picture doesn't correspond to anything I've seen regarding Platt-LePage Aircraft Co.

It's possible the artist lifted some details from Haviland Platt's later VTOL patent applications.

Thank you my dear Platt-LePage,

and it was from Prof.Rutowski,and maybe Havilland Platt involve in it;

https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,636.msg293047.html#msg293047

I'd be interested out of curiosity, in what context Platt-LePage was mentioned in connection with the tiny photo you posted. (I couldn't make out the text)

I have copies of correspondence Haviland Platt had with a few people regarding the PL-LP Tilt-Rotor concepts, but Rutowski does not show up in anything I have in regard to either Haviland Platt, or Laurence LePage.

I'd be interested out of curiosity, in what context Platt-LePage was mentioned in connection with the tiny photo you posted. (I couldn't make out the text)

I have copies of correspondence Haviland Platt had with a few people regarding the PL-LP Tilt-Rotor concepts, but Rutowski does not show up in anything I have in regard to either Haviland Platt, or Laurence LePage.

OK my dear Platt-LePage for clarify me.

From what I could see in the Ali Nouva article pdf, Platt-LePage is only mentioned in reviewing types, and configuration of convertible aircraft.

Joseph Rutokowski's Tilt-Rotor was not a Platt-LePage Project, it really doesn't belong here..

Enjoy, I've kept quiet about these for quite a long time until they were posted by the National Aerospace Library .

XR-1A color movies.jpg

Aerofiles put that up from an email I sent them many, many, years ago.

The model on top that Dr. LePage is holding...

lepage%20models%20copy_zpsozczrdsk.jpg

havilandplatt_zpsla8kyddo.jpg

Haviland Platt

Popular Mechanics ran an article on the Platt Helicopter model around the summer of 1936

The same picture from this report.

Attachments

• 14.png
    14.png
    766.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 15.png
    15.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 35
For those who may attempt to play with the mess that Anigrand, calls an XR-1 / XR-1A model kit, note the how the vertical stabilizer really meets the fuselage, and how the helicopter really sits on the ground.

And a later image of the XR-1 in the air at Eddystone PA circa 1945, note the landing gear uncompressed...

Attachments

• XR-1A profile eddystone.jpg
    XR-1A profile eddystone.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 26
  • XR-1 1945 tests copy.jpg
    XR-1 1945 tests copy.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 27