Contest: what project is this ? (Ermanno Bazzocchi's wartime EB-9)

During 1943, Bazzocchi revised further the lifting fuselage concept trying to recover the rear-door roll-on/roll-off capability. The result was a high-tail four fixed wheels configuration. Span was 32 meters. This design was roughly contemporaneous of the SM-96 III, a twin-tail assault transport maybe done for Germans (SM transports were high valued by the Luftwaffe).

Attachments

• EB9-evo-2.gif
    EB9-evo-2.gif
    55.5 KB · Views: 397
In 1944, after a lot of aerodynamics research done at the Milan's Politecnico wind tunnel on the lifting fuselage configuration, Bazzocchi completely changed direction. Maybe the assault transport requirement by Germans never materialized, or he was already thinking of postwar development. In any case he chose a rather conventional configuration with a frontal cargo loading door. Landing gear was still fixed. This is the last known drawing of this project, but there is still another parallel variant with a distinctive shape that will be rather a surprise....

Attachments

• EB9-evo-3.gif
    EB9-evo-3.gif
    45.8 KB · Views: 353
No, but the Britons here will jump on the seat seeing the date...

Maveric said:
E.B. 1 " Littore " sporting sailplane 1934
E.B. 2 sporting sailplane 1936
E.B. 3 ( C. 3 ) sporting sailplane project 193?
E.B. 4 research aircraft 1944

Hey Mav:
there was also an:
E. B. 5 experimental aircraft for distance record
E. B. 9 four iterations of the project, described here by Sky
E. B. 10 eight-pax twin-engined aircraft (dated 12.27.45)

Nico

There were an EB.6 and an EB.7, too. The EB.5 was Bazzocchi's master thesis at Milan Polytechnic.
My scanner is fully committed. I'll post some drawings this evening if I'll be abe to finish the more urgent job I'm doing (related to ISP, BTW).

Think we could rename this topic with a more informative title...

Skybolt said:
There were an EB.6 and an EB.7, too. The EB.5 was Bazzocchi's master thesis at Milan Polytechnic.
My scanner is fully committed. I'll post some drawings this evening if I'll be abe to finish the more urgent job I'm doing (related to ISP, BTW).

Hi,

what about EB.6,EB.7 and EB.8 ?.

Hi,

what was MB.11 ?.

Attachments

• a.png
    a.png
    105.2 KB · Views: 316
No problem, actually I didn't know, that Macchi went the same way, as for example
Messerschmitt, producing light cars after the war, instead of light aircraft.
Honestly, I wasn't absolutely sure still, yet, but found the following item via ePay now:

Attachments

• MB-11.png
    MB-11.png
    99.2 KB · Views: 221
Jemiba said:
No problem, actually I didn't know, that Macchi went the same way, as for example
Messerschmitt, producing light cars after the war, instead of light aircraft.
Honestly, I wasn't absolutely sure still, yet, but found the following item via ePay now:

Thank you my dear Jemiba.

Nico said:
Maveric said:

Hey Mav:
there was also an:

Nico

Mr. Bazzocchi designed a copy of Mignet Pou du ciel,that's mentioned in Le Fana
1-2017 magazine with drawing.

Nico said:
Maveric said:

Hey Mav:
there was also an:

Nico

Mr. Bazzocchi designed a copy of Mignet Pou du ciel,that's mentioned in Le Fana
1-2017 magazine with drawing.

I can't find it in Le Fana 1-2017,it was in 1-2018.

Attachments

• 200.png
    200.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 61
EB.4,

Ermanno Bazzocchi was one of the most famous Italian aeronautical designers. Born in Tradate in 1914, he graduated in Engineering at the Milan Polytechnic in 1938, and for most of his life he linked his name to that of the most famous aeronautical company in Varese, Aermacchi, of which he became Technical Director 1945 he left in 1989 after having been its Chief Executive Officer until the previous year.
During the years of the Second World War the young and enterprising Bazzocchi began to design a small experimental aircraft with "canard" architecture (i.e. with the horizontal plane placed in front of the main wing and not behind, like de tella majoric and not behind the front and engine rear with pushing propeller.It is essentially the progenitor of the famous VariEze of the seventies.
During the war the technical literature concerning "canards" and tricycle trolleys was very scarce, so Bazzocchi had to ingenuity to learn through experimentation and… errors. He designed the EB-4, tested a couple of aerodynamic models in the wind tunnel of the Milan Polytechnic and finally, in 1944, the project was ready for construction.
Aeronautica Sestetti was involved, specialized in the construction of gliders, which built the aircraft in a few months under the assiduous supervision of the designer. At the beginning of 1945 the prototype was ready to be tested and Bazzocchi himself was the test pilot. Since the first taxis on the ground, he noticed a design error: the nose gear supported an excessive part of the weight of the aircraft and this, combined with the beating moment of the engine placed high on the tail, made it almost impossible to lift. After a few unsuccessful attempts, Bazzocchi finally managed to lift the aircraft off the ground and make a short straight flight but on landing the nose dropped excessively and the nose gear gave way. It was repaired in a few days and the EB-4 was flown again but bad luck raged again: the crankshaft broke and after landing the small aircraft was definitively grounded.
Despite everything, the experience of the EB-4 was useful to Bazzocchi to correctly design the tricycle undercarriage of his next creature, the MB-308, which became a highly successful aircraft.
Then the EB-4 was stored for 40 years in a corner of the Varese Aero Club, then by Aermacchi technicians in 1985 and stored in the Aermacchi Historic Center. In 1998 it was donated to the Italian Air Force Museum, which has always kept it on display. In 2022, the Air Force entrusted it to Volandia, where it joined the display of other very famous aircraft designed by Bazzocchi and built by Aermacchi: MB-308, MB-326 and MB-339.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 30
Attached is the EB-4 in situ (and under cover) at Volanda in June 2022.

Attachments

• Bazzocchi_EB-4_[Malpensa_22_June_2022].jpg
    Bazzocchi_EB-4_[Malpensa_22_June_2022].jpg
    924.1 KB · Views: 17