A Christmas message (and errata from ASP: Bombers) from Tony Buttler

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would like to thank everyone who has made such kind comments about my new book American Secret Projects: Bombers. It sounds as if most folk are enjoying the contents which is great news, and I am very grateful for the feedback. No major reviews in the press as yet - I will keep my fingers crossed. Hope the US copies arrive soon.
There is, however, one major error at least. The North American 'WS-302A tactical bomber' project shown at the top of page 44 (and elsewhere) is in fact North American's long range interceptor proposal to WS-202A. This has now been established by the discovery of an NAA drawing number/identity, so it means that this aircraft is not only in the wrong place but in fact the wrong book! I should have realised after seeing the cutaway shown on page 56, which has a radar. Sadly, we have not yet traced a 3-view.
Sorry folks! Bad mistake but it is a most beautiful design I think - which of course was eventually turned into the F-108. I have just finished writing an article on 1950s long range interceptors worldwide which I hope will appear in 'Aviation News' sometime next year.

Thank you again for your support. Can I please send you all my very best wishes for Christmas and the New Year. Happy project hunting!! Tony B.