Boeing 2707-300

archipeppe

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
My personal contribution about the matter, in particular Alitalia Italian airlines ordered 8 of these behemots (initially they were 2707-100 permuted after in 300s), they should be entered in service more or less in mid '70s.

Enjoy them!

Attachments

• Boeing 2707-300_01.jpg
    Boeing 2707-300_01.jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 1,161
  • Boeing 2707-300_02.jpg
    Boeing 2707-300_02.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 1,064
  • Boeing 2707-300_03.jpg
    Boeing 2707-300_03.jpg
    358.3 KB · Views: 976
Beautiful work, as usual Archipeppe. They would have been a wonderful ride.

SAustin16 said:
Beautiful work, as usual Archipeppe. They would have been a wonderful ride.

Many thanks for the kind words.
I fully agree with you, it would be an amazing flyer, too bad never made it....

great job, but would be Alitalia logotypes on wings be really such large? and would be at all?

flateric said:
great job, but would be Alitalia logotypes on wings be really such large? and would be at all?

Based upon the typical Alitalia paint scheme of 70's-80's it would be and be so large.
Take a look to an Alitalia B-747-100.

Spectacular artwork of one of the most beautiful aircraft designs, Archipeppe. Big thanks.

foiling said:
Spectacular artwork of one of the most beautiful aircraft designs, Archipeppe. Big thanks.

Many thanks for your kind words, anyway there is a little typo error, is "Left view" and not "Right view" of course..... :-[ ;D

Archipeppe

The Alitalia SST looks very impressive. I am sure that Builderscience on Ebay
could turn it into a desk model for you. Boeing provided airlines with a Pacific Miniatures model of the earlier swing wing version (2707-100-it was identical to the Revell two plane kit). Whether they let airlines have the 2707-300 in their own colours I am not sure. I have seen the BA collection's 2707-100 in BOAC colours but they do not have a 2707-300 which suggests that Boeing had stopped giving away models except of the version in House Colors (originals of this model go for large sums on Ebay but are often available).
The 2707-100 features in a black and white photo in the 1966 Alitalia livery. I will try and find it in the chaos of my library, but the Flight International mag archive may have it.
I prefer the 60s livery but the 70s colours have stood the test of time and had the 2707-300 been delivered in the late 70s it would have flown in the scheme you have drawn. Nice!

I know I'm a little late to the party (and a few dollors short), but That is just beautiful work!

Thanks for posting!

I love these SST designs, recently came into posession of original 2707-300 blueprints which will soon be on thier way to be scanned, at more than 3 meters long I wonder how big the file sizes will be. ::)

RareBird said:
I know I'm a little late to the party (and a few dollors short), but That is just beautiful work!

Thanks for posting!

I love these SST designs, recently came into posession of original 2707-300 blueprints which will soon be on thier way to be scanned, at more than 3 meters long I wonder how big the file sizes will be. ::)

Many thanks Rerebird for your kind words. :)

Welcome aboard RareBird!

RareBird said:

:eek: Wow. I hope you can manage that feat... and that you can share a bit of the magic on this forum! ;)

Here is a little something from some original large brownline 2707-200 drawing that I am working on....Cheers!

Attachments

• boeing600Verysmallf.jpg
    boeing600Verysmallf.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 521
These are in 1/100 scale and include fuse sections as well as a landing configuration with extended flaps.

Attachments

• lg-988728-1-8105.jpg
    lg-988728-1-8105.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 389
RareBird said:
recently came into posession of original 2707-300 blueprints which will soon be on thier way to be scanned,

Two-bit scan (black & white): Low file size, but terrible results

Grayscale scan: big file size, but good results. With most "brownline" prints, it's good enough

Full color scan: hugenormous file sizes, but best quality. But might be wasted on brownline.

A 3-meter print, if scanned at 300 dpi, would be 35,432 pixels wide. This would be enough to crush most computers

Orionblamblam said:
RareBird said:
recently came into posession of original 2707-300 blueprints which will soon be on thier way to be scanned,

Two-bit scan (black & white): Low file size, but terrible results

Grayscale scan: big file size, but good results. With most "brownline" prints, it's good enough

Full color scan: hugenormous file sizes, but best quality. But might be wasted on brownline.

A 3-meter print, if scanned at 300 dpi, would be 35,432 pixels wide. This would be enough to crush most computers

Agree with exceptions, for instance these are blueline and I like them kept that way, so those will be color, same thing if there are faded details it has to be color as the resulting grey values may be too close to manipulate the detail.

You can get around large file sizes but yes, it is painfully slow but the main problem I have is when using plugins with CS5.5 so you have to allow for about 4x the size of whatever you will be working on.

If the image has faded details I always scan at a minimum of 600dpi and mainly at 24bit and occasionally at 48bit usually for a Photo.

As an example this uncropped image of roughly 20x40 at 600 dbi at 24bits resulted in a file size of 791,978KB so yes the 1x4meter and 1x3meter bluelines will be large.

Attachments

• boeingcropped.jpg
    boeingcropped.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 464
RareBird said:
As an example this uncropped image of roughly 20x40 at 600 dbi at 24bits resulted in a file size of 791,978KB so yes the 1x4meter and 1x3meter bluelines will be large.

Hmmm. What are the numerous vertical "white" lines? Appears to be a scanner issue.

Orionblamblam said:
RareBird said:

Hmmm. What are the numerous vertical "white" lines? Appears to be a scanner issue.

Yeah, Thanks FedEx/Kinko's didn't know until it was viewed later and trying to clean that mess up, well this is what you start to get:

A Friend at engineering firm will be doing the Bluelines, will come out right and save $$$$$

Attachments

• boeing Skellv3f.jpg
    boeing Skellv3f.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 426
RareBird said:
Yeah, Thanks FedEx/Kinko's didn't know until it was viewed later ...

I've found smaller print shops are better for this sort of thing. Kinkos is to large format scannign what McDonalds is to food: good enough, but not great.

A Friend at engineering firm will be doing the Bluelines, will come out right and save $$$$$

Are they going to be doing actual cyanotype prints? If so, might I suggest rather than blue lines on a white background, you go white lines ona blue background? IMO, that is far more attractive.

Orionblamblam said:
RareBird said:
Yeah, Thanks FedEx/Kinko's didn't know until it was viewed later ...

I've found smaller print shops are better for this sort of thing. Kinkos is to large format scannign what McDonalds is to food: good enough, but not great.

Are they going to be doing actual cyanotype prints? If so, might I suggest rather than blue lines on a white background, you go white lines ona blue background? IMO, that is far more attractive.

Hey thanks, I'll take all the suggestion out there, always willing to learn new ways.

But I think I wasn't clear, sorry. They will just be scanning for now and due to the size will transfer the data to a portable drive.

Since the 2707-300 are bluelines I think I'll just clean them up but then these will also be converted to vector and traced with weighted pen brush, gives a nice result similar to this XB-70 detail:

Attachments

• XB70av1v.jpg
    XB70av1v.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 387
RareBird said:
But I think I wasn't clear, sorry. They will just be scanning for now and due to the size will transfer the data to a portable drive.

MAKE BACKUPS! Trust me on this. Drives fail and take all yer stuff with 'em. When you get the files, the first thing you do is copy them to *another* drive, then burn some CDs or DVDs.

Since the 2707-300 are bluelines I think I'll just clean them up but then these will also be converted to vector and traced with weighted pen brush, gives a nice result similar to this XB-70 detail:

Meh. That would make the drawings "better." And from the standpoint of aesthetics, IMO, "better" is "bleah." You just can't beat old-school hand-drawn blueprints. Variable line weights, shaky lines, hand-scribbled text and downright errors. If you want to produce an *actual* blueprint from your scans, what you'd want to do is get good, clean grayscale scans, with basically black lines on white background, and then print it out onto something like translucent mylar. This can then be used to make old-fashioned cyanotype prints, if you can find or make paper of the required size (three meters long? Don't bet on it).

I am currently tinkering with some commercially available 8X10 cyanotype paper; four experiments so far, first two were clear failures, 3 & 4 turned out well, but with minor issues. 8X10 is too small for much of anything apart from experimentation.

For pure utility, black lines on a black background is the best. For "art," white lines on a blue background just can't be beat.

Orionblamblam said:
MAKE BACKUPS! Trust me on this. Drives fail and take all yer stuff with 'em. When you get the files, the first thing you do is copy them to *another* drive, then burn some CDs or DVDs.

Meh. That would make the drawings "better." And from the standpoint of aesthetics, IMO, "better" is "bleah." You just can't beat old-school hand-drawn blueprints. Variable line weights, shaky lines, hand-scribbled text and downright errors. If you want to produce an *actual* blueprint from your scans, what you'd want to do is get good, clean grayscale scans, with basically black lines on white background, and then print it out onto something like translucent mylar. This can then be used to make old-fashioned cyanotype prints, if you can find or make paper of the required size (three meters long? Don't bet on it).

I am currently tinkering with some commercially available 8X10 cyanotype paper; four experiments so far, first two were clear failures, 3 & 4 turned out well, but with minor issues. 8X10 is too small for much of anything apart from experimentation.

For pure utility, black lines on a black background is the best. For "art," white lines on a blue background just can't be beat.

Backups, exactly! I prefer making images of my drives and storing them on external HD's and then keeping copies at home and at the office, you never know!

Agree with keeping all the warts and whiskers however I prefer to also see just the drawn details of the aircraft as clear as possible as these can then be used for all kinds of things Art, CAD 3D modeling etc.

I am just working on rare drawings of XB70 av1&av2 , TU-144, 733-2707, Concorde and SR-71 and B-58 are all a specialty. I probably should add Boeing's WS110 model 804 to the list but that's it.

Very intresting stuff about the Cyanotype paper, I'll have to ask my Friend about it sounds cool thanks!
Agree white on blue is nice too:

Attachments

• boeingbluSkellv3csml.jpg
    boeingbluSkellv3csml.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 388
RareBird said:
Backups, exactly! I prefer making images of my drives and storing them on external HD's

Don't forget DVDs. They have the advantage of *not* crashing. I just had my second external hard drive turn to mush on me. DVDs should last a decade or more.

I am just working on rare drawings of XB70 av1&av2 ,

Any chance you have high-rez *official* three-views of the B-70? If so... I think there're a lot of folk hereabouts who'd love to see them, since *no* such drawings have as yet come to light, and the lower-rez drawings all conflict in important ways.

If full res, blue/white XB-70 and 2707-300 were available on DVD I'd buy in a heartbeat.

RareBird said:
Here is a little something from some original large brownline 2707-200 drawing that I am working on....Cheers!

Heads up that the only copy I have of this is being posted on Ebay tonight, still other stuff to come sadly as the shelves are cleared.
Will posted as:
"Boeing SST 2707-200 Cutaway Brownline Drawing Print 24"x40"