Various Mil Projects

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

the Mil Mi-22 originally was a project for light utility
helicopter of 1965,has anyone more informations
about Myasishchev M-150 cargo-passenger aircraft ?.

Attachments

• mi-22.jpg
    mi-22.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,662
hesham said:
Hi,

the Mil Mi-22 originally was a project for light utility
helicopter of 1965,has anyone more informations

I can only guess, but it looks like a single turbine version of the Mi-2, only with a much larger turbine than the ones that power the Mi-2 (which is continuously criticized for being underpowered, maybe the large turbine would've solved that)

Exactly right. The Mi-22 was indeed to have been a single-engined Mi-2. But notice too that the Mi-22 finally got rid of the Mi-1 dynamics and had a new four-bladed rotor. A pit that we can't see the tail rotor in that image.

"At the same time [as design work was done on Mi-24], Mil was working on the Mi-22 lighter helicopter project on its own initiative. It was to be powered by a single 1,250 HPGTD-10 engine and was to have a take-off weight of 4.3 tons. Work on this project proceeded until the first Mi-24 was flown. Then the "Mi-22" designation was reassigned to an airborne command post based on the Mi-6 heavy helicopter ["Hook C"]."

Source: Michal Fiszer, The mighty Mi-24: the world's most widely used combat helicopter soldiers on, Journal of Electronic Defense, May 2005

By the way, I believe that the HPGTD-10 still exists in a way as the core of the Saturn GPA-4 gas-pumping unit. http://www.airshow.ru/expo/380/prod_599.htm

Apophenia said:
Exactly right. The Mi-22 was indeed to have been a single-engined Mi-2. But notice too that the Mi-22 finally got rid of the Mi-1 dynamics and had a new four-bladed rotor. A pit that we can't see the tail rotor in that image.

"At the same time [as design work was done on Mi-24], Mil was working on the Mi-22 lighter helicopter project on its own initiative. It was to be powered by a single 1,250 HPGTD-10 engine and was to have a take-off weight of 4.3 tons. Work on this project proceeded until the first Mi-24 was flown. Then the "Mi-22" designation was reassigned to an airborne command post based on the Mi-6 heavy helicopter ["Hook C"]."

Huh, that's interesting. IMHO, they would've been better off with something like the Mi-22, since a pure troop transport slotting below the Mi-8 (like our own Huey) was something they sorely lacked.

Just call me Ray said:
Huh, that's interesting. IMHO, they would've been better off with something like the Mi-22, since a pure troop transport slotting below the Mi-8 (like our own Huey) was something they sorely lacked.

"The Mi-2 was the USSR's answer to the US Bell UH-1 Huey."
http://www.vectorsite.net/avmil4.html

If so, avery underpowered Soviet Huey analogue!

BTW, according to Michal Fiszer, the Mi-22 was killed by changing requirements for greater speed and some armour protection for the cabin. In other words, the Soviets wanted the Mi-24 instead.

Apophenia said:
"The Mi-2 was the USSR's answer to the US Bell UH-1 Huey."
http://www.vectorsite.net/avmil4.html

Yeah, not really. I'd dare to say that the Mi-2 is more a LongRanger analogue, two engines or not.

Just call me Ray said:
Yeah, not really. I'd dare to say that the Mi-2 is more a LongRanger analogue, two engines or not.

The Mi-2 was certainly less capable than the Huey. But I'm not sure that I'd agree that "Hoplite" was a LongRanger analogue. The Mi-2 appears a decade after the Bell 204 but almost ten years before the LongRanger.

The initial Bell 206L had almost half the power of a Mi-2. But it's more about the size.

Some numbers:

Aircraft rotor dia. disc area empty MTOW Troops

Bell 204 Huey 14.63 m 168 m2 2414 kg 4765 kg 10
Mi-2 Hoplite 14.60 m 167 m2 2370 kg 3700 kg 8
Bell 206L 11.28 m 100 m2 1031 kg 2008 kg 5

So, the Mi-2 isn't really a great analogue of either US helicopter. To my eye, there is more similarities to the 204 than to the 206L

I know, I was just saying that in reality given how much power it has, it's probably practically closer to the LongRanger than the Huey. Neither the Mi-2 nor 206 have great density altitude performance.

Hi,

also in that Russian site,a many Mil helicopter projects;

Heavy lift a project of heavy lift helicopter with rotor
diameter 60m,1950s.
M-3 two-seat helicopter (not related to Mi-3).
V-50 heavy assault transport helicopter powered by one
ASH-62 engine,led to Mi-6.
Plant 329 light helicopter powered by turbojet engine.
Mi-26 early project with four D-136 engines.
Mi-383 military Mi-38.

http://www.militaryparitet.com/nomen/russia/avia/data/ic_nomenrussiaavia/8/

http://www.militaryparitet.com/nomen/russia/avia/data/ic_nomenrussiaavia/9/

http://www.militaryparitet.com/nomen/russia/avia/data/ic_nomenrussiaavia/60/

Hesham, are you going to repost all contents of http://www.militaryparitet.com here?

Just as a footnote to the history of Mil desings, a project of a two-rotor (!) helicopter whose designation was M-3. It was to have a M-226GR engine (derived from the ASh-62 engine). Its all-up weight was to be 4100 kg.

A drawing (unfortunately very small) of the desing attached.

(Perhaps somebody knows more about it?)

Best regards,
Piotr

EDIT: In some Russian sources the design is also referred to as the GM-3 (and its engine as the AI-226). According to the sources the helicopted was a six-seater and it had rotors (perhaps including rotor heads) from the Mi-1.

Here you've got a link to a chapter on early Soviet helicopters from the "History of Aircraft Construction in the USSR 1951-1965" (in Russian) where you may find brief info on the GM-3.

http://www.airwar.ru/other/shawrov/htmls/glava11.html

Attachments

• Mil M-3 p.jpg
    Mil M-3 p.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 1,498
Had a '???' moment there: The 26T2-2 piccy, seen at a glance, appears to show an 'Osprey' tilt-rotor design...

Optical illusion, of course...
;)

Petrus said:
Just as a footnote to the history of Mil desings, a project of a two-rotor (!) helicopter whose designation was M-3. It was to have a M-226GR engine (derived from the ASh-62 engine). Its all-up weight was to be 4100 kg.

A drawing (unfortunately very small) of the desing attached.

(Perhaps somebody knows more about it?)

Best regards,
Piotr

From my dears Ucon and Stingray;
http://stingraysrotorforum.activeboard.com/t51041603/mil-m-3-helicopter-project/

Attachments

• Mil M-3 copter project.jpg
    Mil M-3 copter project.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 606
Topic consolidated with posts from older thread. Please use this for post-war projects that are insufficiently documented for now to have their own topic.

The twin rotor pre-project for the Mi 28 from the photo posted by hesham:

Attachments

• Mi-28_pre.gif
    181.2 KB · Views: 1,111
Great drawings of the Mi-28, Jemiba. Unusual-looking craft, And, thanks for the side views of the various Mil helicopters - love them.

Hi,

the Mil Mi-5 was a project of light helicopter powered by one 750 hp engine and
had a takeoff weight of 2400 kg,developed from Mi-1 in 1957.

For the mil Mi-3,

there is was two projects for it;

Mi-3 was developed from Mi-2 With the increase in cross section of
the fuselage,the rear cargo doors of the cab. Project, 1964 (with two
GTD-350 engines).

Mi-3 was light multipurpose,together with Poland-based development
of the Mi-2. Project 1971 (with two GTD-850 engines).

Last edited:
Does anyone hear or has a drawings to those projects;

Mi-30 with three engines,TV7-117 or D-27.

Mi-34M1 & M2 twin turbine six-seat helicopter.

http://www.militaryparitet.com/nomen/russia/avia/data/ic_nomenrussiaavia/60/

From Kryl'ya Rodone 12/2002,

here is the Mil EG-1 project of 1945,which led to develop Mi-1.

Attachments

• EG-1.png
    EG-1.png
    102.7 KB · Views: 368
Yes. It´s just a rendering (by Sergey Sych) of the twin rotors you and Jemiba showed in other pictures before.

The greater request!
To not use the information from a site ' alternathistory.org.ua '. There children dream much and if you badly know Russian can accept this delirium for the truthful information.

Dear forum members,

Please do not post here everything you find in internet.

This forum is for real unbuilt projects, nothing else.

There are forums for whatif and alternate concepts and there are forums for pure artist, both serious and funny aircraft concepts. There are even people inventing fictional countries. Everything's right but just one thing: do not mix fiction with reality because that makes a trouble for the serious historian research.

This should be a forum for historical research otherwise it will loose its value.

Please do not flood the forum with posts. "Posting" isn't an olympic competition. Take your time and decide if your finding is really valuable to be added to this forum. And always remember that source citation is capital for research purposes.

In the next days I'm going to start deleting pure fictional drawings

I only use this drawing etc. from the mentioned site than I´m sure that they are not fictional. I made it clear above. Look at the graphics posted by Jemiba and hesham. This is just an artwork of it. No need to cry. We had this talk so much often before here. Do you speak russian?

athpilot said:
I only use this drawing etc. from the mentioned site than I´m sure that they are not fictional. I made it clear above. Look at the graphics posted by Jemiba and hesham. This is just an artwork of it. No need to cry. We had this talk so much often before here. Do you speak russian?

Sorry but, no, you are wrong.

Any artwork not created by the manufacturer or a reputable artist for a magazine or book is a "User Artwork" and we have a section for that. You should not pollute the main Projects sections with artwork of dubious provenance.

If you don't like this answer, please note it is my forum and the rules are quite clearly stated.

PaulMM (Overscan) said:
athpilot said:

Sorry but, no, you are wrong.

Any artwork not created by the manufacturer or a reputable artist for a magazine or book is a "User Artwork" and we have a section for that. You should not pollute the main Projects sections with artwork of dubious provenance.

If you don't like this answer, please note it is my forum and the rules are quite clearly stated.

Hmm... this is your answer to an serious meant contribution? ??? OK if you want it... it´s your room, you´re the boss.

I could draw a picture of a Hawker P.1121 and post it. Its a drawing of a "real project", but I suck at drawing. The picture is inaccurate. People then post that picture elsewhere, saying its a picture of the P.1121 and cite the forum as a source. That isn't good.

There is a separate section for User Artwork. This is a much better home for any fan-art.

The forum has been going successfully for more than 9 years operating on these principles.

Maybe this Mi-24 mock-up(?) will be presented at MAKS 2015 - any idea of its purpose? Mi-X3 testing?

Source: http://russianplanes.net/id171315

Attachments

• 171315.jpg
    171315.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 1,089
It was the test bed for high speed rotorcraft research which was just cancelled this week. If not cancelled then in hibernation.