Books from Harpia-Publishing

Deino

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys … I just received a few books from a more or less new publisher with a series a brilliant books.

http://www.harpia-publishing.com/

All are related to some “lesser” known or some would say even slightly “obscure” topics like …

1. Iraqi Fighters - 1953-2003: Camouflage & Markings
Preview at: http://www.harpia-publishing.com/index-IraqiFighters.html

2. Arab MiGs Volume1, MiG-15s and MiG-17s, 1955-1967
Mikoyan i Gurevich MiG-15 and MiG-17 in Service with Air Forces of Algeria, Egypt, Iraq and Syria
Preview at: http://www.harpia-publishing.com/index-ArabMigs.html

3. Latin American Fighters: from Mexico in the north down to Argentina in the south
Preview at: http://www.harpia-publishing.com/index-LAmericanFighters.html

4. African Migs - from Angola to Ivory Coast
Preview at: http://www.harpia-publishing.com/index-AfricanMigs.html

5. Latin American Mirages - Mirage III / 5 / F.1 / 2000 in Service with South American Air Arms
Preview at: http://www.harpia-publishing.com/index-LAM.html

6. IRIAF 2010 - The Modern Iranian Air Force
Preview at: http://www.harpia-publishing.com/index-IRIAF.html

All books are available as 28 x 21 cm, soft-cover with 256 pages full of pictures – most of them never published before – numerous maps and drawings.

A bit different, since a hard-back is …
Srebrna krila - U službi i zaštiti Hrvatske I Silver Wings - Serving and Protecting Croatia
Preview at: http://www.harpia-publishing.com/index-SilverWings.html

Future publications planned for 2011 are …
- African MiGs Volume 2 - Madagascar to Zimbabwe
- Arab MiGs Volume 2
- Arab MiGs Volume 3

Finally here a review of this book prepared by David L. Veres for the next volume of Military Aircraft Monthly magazine, in the UK:

Let’s cut to the chase: if you’re interested in Middle East conflicts, get this outstanding book.
Period.

Tom Cooper and Dr. David Nicolle have penned the definitive history of early Soviet MiG designs in Arab military service. No other English-language work even approaches its value, scope or authority.

The authors themselves require no introduction. Few have so illumined the peripheries of aviation history for English-speaking enthusiasts. And this absorbing account of jet combat in, arguably, the world’s endless war zone doesn’t disappoint.

Cooper and Nicolle scrupulously detail the story in seven spellbinding steps. Chapters 1 and 2 cover initial Egyptian and Syrian MiG deliveries. The 1956 Suez conflict, its aftermath, the “Water War” and Yemen consume the next four. And the final segment culminates in 1967’s decisive Six Day War – the repercussions of which continue dominating Middle-East politics and policies.

Hundreds of fascinating new insights and firsthand accounts pepper the pages. The authors’ description of Yemeni operations and Operation Magic Carpet proved especially enthralling.

And not that coverage completely concentrates on titular Soviet types: Cooper and Nicolle season their story with Vampires, Meteors and Canberras, as well.

Over 170 B&W and color photos, eight appendices, and seven maps supplement the splendidly annotated text. Modelers and markings enthusiasts will particularly prize the 32 brilliantly executed color profiles by coauthor Cooper. Breathtaking!

Reflecting latest research, Cooper and Nicolle’s Arab MiGs (Volume 1) deserves a spot in every enthusiast’s library. Buy, beg or borrow this terrific tome. Then place your order for Volume 2.

I certainly shall!

Cheers, Deino

Attachments

• Harpia - Iraqi Fighters.png
    Harpia - Iraqi Fighters.png
    88.8 KB · Views: 1,137
  • Harpia - Arab MiGs v1.jpg
    Harpia - Arab MiGs v1.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 800
  • Harpia - Latin American Fighters.jpg
    Harpia - Latin American Fighters.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 689
  • Harpia - African Migs v1.jpg
    Harpia - African Migs v1.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 660
  • Harpia - Latin American Mirages.jpg
    Harpia - Latin American Mirages.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 624
  • Harpia - IRIAF 2010.jpg
    Harpia - IRIAF 2010.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 590
Upppss ... forgot to add the picture of the last book.

Deino

PS: So far ... no other opinions ??

Attachments

• Harpia - swcover.jpg
    Harpia - swcover.jpg
    301.8 KB · Views: 20
Very interesting.

The authors of Latin America Mirage are well known authors of books and magazines here in Argentina. I've several of this articles and books in Spanish of course.

Regards
Alcides

Yes, ... and it seems yet another future-projects are ...

- Arab MiGs, Volume 3: War of Attrition (period 1967-1969)

- Air War Ogaden - the air war between Ethiopia and Somalia (1977-1978)

- The Last Year of the South Vietnamese Air Force

- ... something related to the Falklands War (esp. on the Argentinian flying services during that conclift)

CHeers, Deino

A small update from Tom Cooper ... the book on the Falkland-War "Argentinian perspective" is on hold at least for now ...

Besides that no-one with interest in their books ?? At least I'm impressed.

Deino

Besides that no-one with interest in their books ??

Great books, no doubt. Unfortunately, not for me. My main interest are unbuilt projects and little known aircraft variants. My interest on Air Forces is not on top of my list. I have to limit my interests to keep my brain healthy because I'm too curious.

pometablava said:
Besides that no-one with interest in their books ??

Great books, no doubt. Unfortunately, not for me. My main interest are unbuilt projects and little known aircraft variants. My interest on Air Forces is not on top of my list. I have to limit my interests to keep my brain healthy because I'm too curious.

Agreed ... but since I'm working together since some time with Tom I got a deeper insight into these books too and even if I agree with You I'm very much impressed how deep they cover a very special or maybe even "un-orthodox" topic. Never thought that African Air Forces could be interesting at all ...

But maybe You could stay tuned .... ::)

Deino

Deino said:
A small update from Tom Cooper ... the book on the Falkland-War "Argentinian perspective" is on hold at least for now ...

Besides that no-one with interest in their books ?? At least I'm impressed.

Deino

Interesting for me? Interested in them? Well, I must confess that I have all these books with the exception of Croatia ... ;D ;D

And I'm anxiously experiments on many African second part of the MiGs and especially the war in Ogaden.

I love the little-known conflicts, for example, I wrote a small article about the war in Libya-Egypt 77, or on little-known aircraft as the IAR-93/J-22 Orao ...

So YES, I'm really interested in books of this publisher ...

1Saludo

roberto_yeager said:
Interesting for me? Interested in them? Well, I must confess that I have all these books with the exception of Croatia ... ;D ;D

And I'm anxiously experiments on many African second part of the MiGs and especially the war in Ogaden.

I love the little-known conflicts, for example, I wrote a small article about the war in Libya-Egypt 77, or on little-known aircraft as the IAR-93/J-22 Orao ...

So YES, I'm really interested in books of this publisher ...

1Saludo

Nice ... maybe You should contact Tom, since he's currently preparing part 3 on

Additionally - also to the others - what topics would You like to be covered ??
So please, feel free to post your ideas and proposals for additional future research and publication projects ... .

Deino

Finally the covers are ready as well as the contents were published:

1. "African MiG's"

- Addenda/Errata to Volume 1 (plenty of readers' reactions, some of them trully "hot", and many, many new, high-rez photos)
- Chapter 13: Malagasy Republic (Madagascar)
- Chapter 14: Republic of Mali
- Chapter 15: Republic of Mozambique
- Chapter 16: Republic of Namibia
- Chapter 17: Federal Republic of Nigeria
- Chapter 18: Republic of Somalia
- Chapter 19: Republic of the Sudan
- Chapter 20: United Republic of Tanzania
- Chapter 21: Republic of Uganda
- Chapter 22: Republic of Zambia
- Chatper 23: Republic of Zimbabwe
- Appendix I: Air Orders of Battle (of the 23 air forces mentioned in Volumes 1 and 2), as of August 2011
- Appendix II: ...a small surprise...

2. "Arab-MiG's - Vol 2"

- Addenda/Errata to Volume 1 (plenty of new photos and trully much new info obtained in reaction to the publication of Volume 1; almost an entire new chapter by size and content)
- Chapter 1: Turbulent Times in Iraq
- Chapter 2: Compromised Solutions
- Chapter 3: Political Games
- Chapter 4: Mixed Fortunes
- Chapter 5: Cutting the Lion's Tail
- Appendix I: Known serial numbers of UARAF MiG-19s, MiG-21s and Su-7s, 1961-1967
- Appendix II: Known serial number of UARAF Il-28s and Tu-16s, 1958-1967
- Appendix III: Artworks.

3. "Fall of the Flying Dragon"

- Chapter 1: A Brief history of the VNAF
- Chapter 2: Final build-up
- Chapter 3: The enemy
- Chapter 4: The pretence of peace
- Chapter 5: Fighting the poor man's war
- Chapter 6: Beginning of the end
- Chapter 7: Abandoning the north
- Chapter 8: Target Saigon
- Chapter 9: Last week of war
- Chapter 10: The great escape
- Chapter 11: Postscript
- Appendix I: Orbat VNAF February 1975
- Appendix II: VNAF Squadron Activations
- Appendix III: Aircraft of VNAF, 1953-1975
- Appendix IV: Artworks
Deino

Attachments

• FoFD Cover 110920sm.jpg
    FoFD Cover 110920sm.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 15
  • ArabMiGs V2 Cover 100909.jpg
    ArabMiGs V2 Cover 100909.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 9
  • AfrMiGs V2 Cover.jpg
    AfrMiGs V2 Cover.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 10
Good news! I got African MiGs volume one about one year ago,which is the most detailed info I have seen for Soviet fighters in African Wars and Clashes.

Hmmm .. I hope I don't tell too much, but in mind of the vast information to this topic and the limited space in a single volume we concetrate on the currently used combat and combat-support aircraft, their weapons, the units as well as the current Orbat ! As such it will be a "handbook" of the current PLAAF & PLANAF.

Here's the proposed content so far:

Chapter 1: Short History of the PLAAF and the PLANAF
Chapter 2: Combat and Combat-Support Aircraft
Chapter 3: Weapons of Chinese Combat Aircraft
Chapter 4: Aircraft Markings
Chapter 5: PLAAF Order of Battle, 2012
Chapter 6: PLANAF Order of Battle, 2012

Cheers, Deino

Online since today ... http://www.harpia-publishing.com/futurebooks ... - on sale 29 Oct 2012

http://www.harpia-publishing.com/node/117
Modern Chinese Air Power - People’s Liberation Army Air Forces

Much of the fascination that Chinese military aviation holds for the analyst and enthusiast stems from the thick veil of secrecy that surrounds it. This uniquely compact yet comprehensive directory serves as a magnificently illustrated, in-depth analysis and directory of modern Chinese air power. It is organised in three parts: the most important military aircraft and their weapons found in Chinese service today; aircraft markings and serial number systems; and orders of battle for the People's Liberation Army Air Force and Naval Air Force. The study includes the latest developments emerging from behind the 'Bamboo Curtain', including the J-20 stealth fighter programme and other indigenous projects that are equipping a rapidly modernising air arm. The centrepiece consists of almost 100 fully illustrated pages detailing the organisational structure of the Air Force and Naval Aviation, providing an easy-to-use review of all known flying units, their equipment and their markings. No other book has ever attempted to present this level of accuracy in this way: 'Modern Chinese Air Power' portrays the PLAAF and the PLANAF in a degree of detail that was previously unavailable.

http://www.harpia-publishing.com/node/37

Arab MiGs Volume 3 - The June 1967 War

The June 1967 War fought between an Arab alliance and Israel was a pivotal event in the modern history of the Middle East. This study provides the most complete and detailed coverage ever of the Arab air forces during the course of that conflict. Supported by original documentation, and hundreds of blow-by-blow accounts from participants and eyewitnesses from Egypt, Iraq, Jordan and Syria, the result is a fascinating and gripping narrative that uncovers many new stories for the first time. Numerous vivid descriptions shed light upon Israeli attacks on Arab air bases, dozens of air combats, efforts to continue fighting against all odds, failures of Arab security and intelligence, and conflicts within the military chains of command. These stories are complemented by descriptions of the tactics and weaponry deployed.
Almost 350 photographs, diagrams and artworks combine with lucidly written text to produce one of the most informative and readable books on air warfare to have become available in recent years. Military historians and scholars interested in aviation and foreign affairs will find this volume of particular interest. As a unique work that presents the Arab point of view of a defining war, it stands as both a complement and a corrective to previous accounts of this much-misunderstood conflict.

Deino

Attachments

• ArabMiGs V3 Cover.jpg
    ArabMiGs V3 Cover.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 528
  • Harpia Chinese Fighters - teaser.jpg
    Harpia Chinese Fighters - teaser.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 324
... another small teaser !! ;)

And now only 4 weeks left ... :eek:

Attachments

• Chinese Fighters - teaser - profiles small.jpg
    Chinese Fighters - teaser - profiles small.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 490
A small update since we are getting closer to the finish ...

Tom said:
OK, since this project is about to get 'closed' (i.e. ready for print'), here a few words on it too....

Originally, we intended to offer 'just' a review of modern-day fighter-interceptors and fighter-bombers in service with the PLAAF and the PLANAF, and their order of battle. After all, at the first look, majority of these two air forces consist of 'fighter-type' aircraft.... That's why the original title was also kept 'Chinese Fighters'. An additional reason the scope was held as 'narrow' was that the original impression was that it's 'impossible' to cover the entire PLAAF and the PLANAF even in two 'standard-sized' volumes as usually published by Harpia' (see 256 pages in DIN A4 format).

Eventually, it turned out that this is possible, and that it is possible to keep this theoretically huge topic something like 'relatively simple', 'easy to oversee'. So as the project developed we turned this into 'Modern Chinese Warplanes: Combat Aircraft and Units of the Chinese Air Force and Naval Aviation', which appears is going to be the definite title of this volume.

Now, what is this book going to bring?

As first, we wanted to sort out the available data about various 'crucial' fighter types presently in service in China. The emphasis was (and we tried to keep it that way, even though this is not entirely possible) to keep it 'China-related', 'modern/current' and especially 'made in China' emphasised. Thus, we put together all that is available on J-7s, J-8s, J-10s, J-11s etc. scrutinized the available information for rumours, nonsence, and tried to leave only 'reliable information' and 'hard facts'. Similarly, we wanted to avoid too much discussion about 'could be/would be' projects, and concentrated entirely on 'what's in service right now' coverage. That means: even though the J-6 was so important for the developmet of the Chinese aviation industry and air force(s), sorry, but its hardly even mentioned in this book - because it's not in service any more (well, with one exception, but more about this book). Indeed, I have had a major problem even with adding an extensive chapter on the Xi'an H-6 bomber to this book and - wasn't it for the appearance of its latest variant (the H-6K) I would have probably left it out (namely, the appearance of the H-6K indicates that not only the company, but the PLAAF too, intend to keep this type in service for 'a while' longer, and that's something I simply couldn't ignore).

And, with that 'change', we 'blew up' the 'Fighters' scope of that book, and so an entire 'avalanche' came into being, then all of a sudden the remaining content had to be changed too... and we ended with 'entire' air force...

Anyway, following Chapter 1, which is something like an 'introduction' to the history of the PLAAF and the PLANAF (one simply has to introduce the reader into this topic, otherwise many things in the book would be really hard to understand), the first 'core' of this book is Chapter 2, which is providing (very) detailled sub-chapters on J-7, J-8, J-10, J-11 (and follow-ups), Su-30MKK/MK2 (and follow-ups), JH-7 and H-6, as well as providing a 'review' of various combat-support aircraft (from transports via AWACS to ELINT/SIGINT gatherers). Sadly, there is not really enough information about the later as to discuss every of them 'sub-chapter-wise'. Furthermore, there was neither enough space nor enough information to enter the topic of the UAVs to sufficient depth, and entering helicopters would certainly make this project a 'mess', so these are something like 'underreproted' here.

As next, there was a necessity to sort out the issue 'what armament can these aircraft carry'. Quite a few details about various Chinese-made weapons remain 'murky', unclear, not defined, etc. It turned out a wide range of online sources are citing weapons as 'in service', even though they either never entered service, or are long since 'out'... Other weapons are (persistently) wrongly designated, even though in service since long. Then, there is plenty of mixing of weapons manufactured for 'domestic consumption' and those produced 'for export only'. Anyway, this chapter covers air-to-air and air-to-surface/ship or anti-radar missiles, and then other, 'non-powered' PGMs, plus GP-bombs. There is even a small sub-chapter on Chinese nuclear weapons, even though this is such a secret topic, there is not much 'definite' to say about it (again, we didn't want to enter endless historic discussions about what was, and even less so about what might be). That's how Chapter 3 came into being.

Chapter 4 follows with an explanation about markings (especially serials) of PLAAF and PLANAF aircraft. Let me explain this chapter this way: any idea what unit is flying a J-7 serialled 20033? Not to talk about: where is that unit stationed?

I had no idea either. But, once you read this chapter, you're going to know at least what the serial 20033 means, and how to find out to what unit is a plane marked that way assigned. Surely, we could have added an extensive discussion about all the shades of light grey presently used by the PLAAF and the PLANAF, and of all the 15+ forms of the 'Star and bar' insignia applied on various aircraft etc., but this part is kept relatively short. Instead, the emphasis here was that on explaining the serialling system - to explain a complex topic in a simple fashion, and I'm really happy about it.

Finally, Chapters 5 and 6... the most troublesome in this project... present a detailled (down to regimental-level) and complete ORBATs of the PLAAF and the PLANAF, Military Region by Military Region, and PLAN's Fleet by Fleet, Division by Division etc., in word/text, photo/artworks, maps and tables.

Now, when discussing this topic it must be said up front that my first aim was to present an 'easy to understand' ORBAT of PLAAF & PLANAF fighter units only. For me, this is the CORE of this book. You know how easy it is to identify the unit and base of the F-15E wearing 'LN 003' on its tailfin... But, try to do the same for the PLAAF. So, I finally wanted to understand serial numbers in relation to units, and units in relation to bases (related to Military Regions) of the Chinese air force. People like Andi have this in their 'small finger', but majority of potentially interested readers - not the least. There is a number of fairly recently published books and articles about the Chinese air force (less so about the PLANAF) - but nobody put together a complete, presently valid (not to talk about 'next 5-10 years) ORBAT of either, the PLAAF or the PLANAF so far.

And, to make things worse yet: the PLAAF is mid through a large-scale re-organisation, which actually only just began in late 2011 and early 2012 - so that many divisions are now 'bases', many regiments reorganized as 'brigades', many of independent regiments do not exist any more, there is even some confusion in regards of serials (where aircraft of disbanded/re-organized units are now assigned to newly established/re-established units but still showing serials of their former units etc.), some long-ago disbanded units are re-established, others moved around etc.. I.e. a lot is going on in that huge air force all at once (just one illustration of proportions there: do you know how many PLAAF regiments fly J-7s? let me offer you a clue, the figure goes 'well beyond 20'...!) - and to bring all of that to the latest stand... oh my... I admit pushing Andi and myself well 'beyond limits' in this regards. But, eventually, we've got the ORBAT as of August 2012 into this book. Not a bad feat...

Now, the next issue was presenting that ORBAT in a fashion that is easy to understand and follow. Theoretically, given the quite 'clear' organisational structure of the PLAAF and the PLANAF, this is at least 'within reach'. But, given the latest re-organisation and the fact that we wanted to have a map of each MR with all the important bases... well, already that proved an obstacle. So, it was important to find out what bases are important as of... say, August 2012. Then, we wanted to have the crest of each division (at least), a short history of each division (as introduction) and at least one photo of at least one aircraft from each division - preferably one aircraft of each regiment assigned to each division... (the aim of getting the crest of each regiment is still something within realms of 'science fiction', but who knows: perhaps in reaction to this book...). Eventually, all of this proved more problematic once we decided to cover the entire PLAAF and PLANAF, not only the 'fighter' aspect of these air forces. Slightly more so in regards of crests, and slightly less in regards of finding photos. An important note here: don't worry, there are no 50 divisions within the PLANAF any more, and thus you'll not get lost while reading this book. There are 'only' slightly less than 30 divisions with the PLAAF (even though two divisions have recently been re-established), and the number of PLANAF units was - contrary to many expectations - decreased, not increased recently. So, I think we really did well in organizing Chapter 5 so that one could take this book on his trip to China, as 'identification guide'.

Furthermore, although majority of photographs proved useless for publishing (not only because of their quality, but also because we do not want to violate anybody's copyrights, nor simply ignore them - as this appears to be quite 'popular' in the case of specific other publishers, recently), we still found a workable solution. The last problem to solve is the issue of space and the book's lay-out, but we'll get that too...

The net result was that we decided to go for a 'mix': sure, we can't have a photo of an aircraft from all of some 100+ regiments of the PLAAF (even less so when there are three regiments per division, or when there are now four brigades per base...!), but we finalized this in such fashion that there is usually one photo and one artwork per division, showing two different aircraft operated by regiments/brigades assigned to specific division or base (in fact, in the case of all the divisions re-organized as bases, this book is going to bring at least one artwork [if not a photo] per each brigade)...

And so... although Andi attempted to assassinate me - several times - or at least to make me end in some of those institutions where everything is white and soft and everybody so friendly....with all of his e-mails, corrections etc., and I'm certainly going to twist his head for some 720 degrees when me meet the next time (if not that, he's paying all the drinks in Telford :D), despite a number of 'sheerly unsolvable' problems...(this wouldn't be an interesting project if there would have been none) - I now feel I have a good insight into the PLAAF/PLANAF organisation and equiment, just from co-working on this book (oh, come on Andi: everybody here knows you have this in your small finger... :p). Hey, that is encouraging...! ;-)

Of course, much more importantly, I hope readers are going to feel the same way and find this really a 'simple-guide-style' source of reference about this topic, organized and presented in a format and fashion that are going to be useful for a number of years to come (and regardless what kind of additional re-organisations might follow in the future).

As usually, the book is going to become available on 26 October this year. First 'public presentation' is to occur during the IPMS/UK Nationals, in Telford, in mid-November this year (the authors will be there to sign your copies, of course ;-)).

Deino said:
Online since today ... http://www.harpia-publishing.com/futurebooks ... - on sale 29 Oct 2012

http://www.harpia-publishing.com/node/117
Modern Chinese Air Power - People’s Liberation Army Air Forces

Much of the fascination that Chinese military aviation holds for the analyst and enthusiast stems from the thick veil of secrecy that surrounds it. This uniquely compact yet comprehensive directory serves as a magnificently illustrated, in-depth analysis and directory of modern Chinese air power. It is organised in three parts: the most important military aircraft and their weapons found in Chinese service today; aircraft markings and serial number systems; and orders of battle for the People's Liberation Army Air Force and Naval Air Force. The study includes the latest developments emerging from behind the 'Bamboo Curtain', including the J-20 stealth fighter programme and other indigenous projects that are equipping a rapidly modernising air arm. The centrepiece consists of almost 100 fully illustrated pages detailing the organisational structure of the Air Force and Naval Aviation, providing an easy-to-use review of all known flying units, their equipment and their markings. No other book has ever attempted to present this level of accuracy in this way: 'Modern Chinese Air Power' portrays the PLAAF and the PLANAF in a degree of detail that was previously unavailable.

http://www.harpia-publishing.com/node/37

Arab MiGs Volume 3 - The June 1967 War

The June 1967 War fought between an Arab alliance and Israel was a pivotal event in the modern history of the Middle East. This study provides the most complete and detailed coverage ever of the Arab air forces during the course of that conflict. Supported by original documentation, and hundreds of blow-by-blow accounts from participants and eyewitnesses from Egypt, Iraq, Jordan and Syria, the result is a fascinating and gripping narrative that uncovers many new stories for the first time. Numerous vivid descriptions shed light upon Israeli attacks on Arab air bases, dozens of air combats, efforts to continue fighting against all odds, failures of Arab security and intelligence, and conflicts within the military chains of command. These stories are complemented by descriptions of the tactics and weaponry deployed.
Almost 350 photographs, diagrams and artworks combine with lucidly written text to produce one of the most informative and readable books on air warfare to have become available in recent years. Military historians and scholars interested in aviation and foreign affairs will find this volume of particular interest. As a unique work that presents the Arab point of view of a defining war, it stands as both a complement and a corrective to previous accounts of this much-misunderstood conflict.

Deino

The cover page of 《Modern Chinese Air Power》 has a obvious error for the HaiNan Island is not covered by yellow.

Thanks a lot for that remark !! And yes, that error was included in the first pre-version we needed to send ... and was sadly only noted after being publsihed. :eek: :-[

In the final maps Hainan is surely included.

I deeply regret this mistake ... besides that due to an expansion we need to change the title accordingly (see post above)

No, that type will surely be not included since it is not operational yet. But it will be included in the book I did together with Tony Buttler published next year.

Deino

It's finally done .... "Modern Chinese Air Power" is 'going to the press' today:

Modern Chinese Warplanes, Combat Aircraft and Units of the Chinese Air Force and Naval Aviation

Authors: Andreas Rupprecht and Tom Cooper
ISBN: 978-0-9854554-0-8
Size: 28x21cm, softcover
Volume: 256 pages with 3 black and white pictures, 274 colour pictures, 12 maps and 60 colour drawings
Retailprice: 35.95 Euro plus p&p
Publication Date: 24 October 2012
Publisher: Harpia Publishing L.L.C.

Where To Order http://www.harpia-publishing.com/?q=node/35/popup&view=stores

Much of the fascination that Chinese military aviation holds for the analyst and enthusiast stems from the thick veil of secrecy that surrounds it. This uniquely compact yet comprehensive directory serves as a magnificently illustrated, in-depth analysis and directory of modern Chinese air power.

It is organised in three parts: the most important military aircraft and their weapons found in Chinese service today; aircraft markings and serial number systems; and orders of battle for the People's Liberation Army Air Force and Naval Air Force.

The study includes the latest developments emerging from behind the 'Bamboo Curtain', including the J-20 stealth fighter programme and other indigenous projects that are equipping a rapidly modernising air arm. The centrepiece consists of more than 100 fully illustrated pages detailing the organisational structure of the Air Force and Naval Aviation, providing an easy-to-use review of all known flying units, their equipment and their markings.

No other book has ever attempted to present this level of accuracy in this way: Modern Chinese Warplanes portrays the PLAAF and the PLANAF in a degree of detail that was previously unavailable.

As such all I need to say is THANK You all, who contributed with their input, help, comments, corrections or posts ...

Deino

Attachments

• Modern Chinese Warplanes - Cover 72dpi.jpg
    Modern Chinese Warplanes - Cover 72dpi.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 249
I'm not ecstatic about the cover... though I'm sure the contents is really worth its while.

Just a maybe stupid question but does anyone know if this book will be allowed to be sold in China ??? ... and if YES, I would like to ask if anyone knows a special book-shop or anyone else who could act as a distributor for Harpia books in China ??

Cheers & thanks in advance,
Deino

No. The Custom officers are sensitive to the title with the word "China" even it means porcelain.
PS: if you know Chinese language, I can guarantee you may find the info provided in the book is nothing compared with the one from local bbs.

digitalimage said:
No. The Custom officers are sensitive to the title with the word "China" even it means porcelain.
PS: if you know Chinese language, I can guarantee you may find the info provided in the book is nothing compared with the one from local bbs.

Thanks a lot ... but maybe I need to explain a bit more since it seems You misunderstood my intention or request:

First of all I think I need to explain a bit how this book developed to what it is right now. Our or to admit most of all my aim was to create a book that provides an “as complete as possible” overview over the PLAAF and PLANAF beginning from a historical review, which describes its gestation, the currently operational aircraft types, their weapons and most of all a as current as possible ORBAT of both forces. For that my research lasted for several years and even with my nearly non-existent Chinese-language-knowledge I (at least hope so) have some good contacts to several who have and – like You noted – are well established in several local bbs. As such I hope that the especially the Orbat tables listed will at least represent the newly established structure of Bases & Brigades in parallel to the well known Divisions & Regiments, the restructuring of the training units, it contains the reassigned naval units (Independent Regiments and Bomber units) and so on to an extent never published before in the West. … but that’s probably the problem like You pointed out.

Therefore I know I will always lack behind in my research in contrast to these local bbs but please give me an public accessible – esp. in the West – source, which provides such local information as a comprehensive overview ?? The so far most often quoted book in this regard is Yefim Gordon’s book, which is IMO far from complete, far from recent and most of all far from correct in several regards.
Additionally – and that’s a great PLUS of Harpia Publishing – we were able to add the latest changes to newly established units (like the 16. Specialised Division, the 32th Fighter Division and even the newly established 20. Division), to the training Brigades and so on even nearly 4 weeks before being delivered … again it will most surely be late in same information but every book will be dated when published by a standard publisher since most publishers I know are “closing for press” much earlier.

Again I know my book will surely contain mistake, some familiar with the local situation much than me will maybe even say several stupid ones, but again to admit I hope I’m not that far off and Your last sentence will hopefully not be true in the extent You would like to guarantee …. .

Anyway please take a deeper look into that book when available and I would be more than delighted if You would provide as much corrections as required ….

Cheers, Deino

Apology if my previous statement annoys u. As a Chinese,though I'm not pride of this,I have not found any useful or even non-stupid books about Chinese military aircraft. Ye Gordon have contribute a lot in this point including 2 books and several chapters in his MiG-21,Tu-16,MiG-19. I hope your work can change my mind. ;D
Here are some useful links.But please be noted the sites may harm your computer. I cannot make sure there are no viruses.

http://lt.cjdby.net/forum-4-1.html
http://www.fyjs.cn/bbs/thread.php?fid=27
http://www.afwing.com/

And you can find some useful info in Chinese micro blog such as this
http://www.weibo.com/

No need to apologise especially in mind of what has been published so far !

To admit, it was my aim to at least correct a bit of what Yefim and others have done in the past (even with my own limitations in mind) and surely the Chinese aviation industry, its military and overall capabilities were usually treated by most Western assessments (even if I won’t call Yefim books a typical Western assessment .. more the Russian view !) influenced by myth, ignorance and prejudice. On the other side especially for a foreigner it is still difficult to differ between facts and fiction, wishful thinking and overenthusiastic sentiments, which were also more than once mixed with national pride; especially if You take a closer look at several of the local bbs.

If I was able to rectify this or if I failed too … it’s up to the readers to decide and as such I would suggest to pm me Your postal address, then I will provide You with one example of the book for free for a review …

With the hope not to disappoint…
Deino
;)

I will book a copy from Amazon. Thank you for your kindness! :) Of course I will complain if I find any mistakes. And hope the Custom officers are not interested in the aviation.

Deino said - Just a maybe stupid question but does anyone know if this book will be allowed to be sold in China

I was in Shanghai and Hangzhou back in 2009 and was astounded by the number and content of the aviation magazines in the bookshops and news stands. I bought a few and while I haven't a clue what the text says, the illustrations were quite diverse, good quality and detailed. Unfortunately all I saw flying was a single Flounder, but quite exciting all the same. Ah, just like the old days.

Chris

To admit ... I feel a great relief !!! ;)

http://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=8422

Modern Chinese Warplanes

by: David L. Veres

World headlines remain replete with references to China’s energetic economy and political ascendancy. And its mysterious, muscular military clearly enjoys the benefits of lavish research, development, technology and production spending.

Now HARPIA PUBLISHING strips the shroud of secrecy with an indispensable handbook on emergent Chinese air power by Andreas Rupprecht and Tom Cooper.

Modern Chinese Warplanes sports 256 pages, hundreds of color photos and twelve maps. After brief historical notes, contents course from indigenous aircraft designs and weapons through markings and serials to orders of battle.

Subtitled “Combat Aircraft and Units of the Chinese Air Force and Naval Aviation”, coverage includes both the People’s Liberation Army Air Force and the People’s Liberation Army Naval Air Force – the so-called “second Chinese Air Force”.

Modelers and markings enthusiasts note! This vital volume sports dozens of superb color profiles by coauthor Cooper. Every major Chinese aircraft type – fighters, transports, trainers and helicopters – populate pages. And order-of-battle summaries even include rare unit badges.

Rupprecht and Cooper unearth some real nuggets. Notes on so-called “direct-reporting units”, for instance, include images of the Soaring Dragon UAV – as well as modified Tupolev Tu-154M and Boeing 737-3Q8 jet transports for ELINT/SIGINT missions. And those Shenyang J-6 UCAVs nearly gave me whiplash!

I frankly wished the authors broadened coverage to Chinese warplanes for export – like Chengdu’s FC-1/JF-17 fighter and Nanchang’s venerable A-5. But readers can reference HARPIA’s excellent IRIAF 2010: The Modern Iranian Air Force and African MiGs (vols 1 & 2) for select details of China’s international aviation efforts. Coverage of recent, multi-role designs like Guizhou’s JL-9 and Hongdu’s L-15 would have also enriched the account.

But I quibble. HARPIA has forged a radiant reputation with gems like this richly illustrated guide. Modern Chinese Warplanes deserves a place on the shelves of Far East military scholars and enthusiasts.

Get this terrific tome.

;) ;) ;)

http://alert5.com/2012/12/12/book-review-modern-chinese-air-power-peoples-liberation-army-air-forces/#more-20271

By Sean Chua

This book is the most up to date coverage of the People’s Liberation Army Air Force(PLAAF) and the People’s Liberation Army Naval Air Force( PLANAF).

The book is divided into three main areas- the current aircraft in service, their weaponry and the ORBAT of both services.

First part of the book introduces a brief history of PLAAF and PLANAF, this gives readers a concise understanding of both services’ history that helps the readers to understand the services formation and organization as what they are today.

Next a large chunk of the book is devoted to the next chapter- the details of the various types of combat and combat support aircraft currently in service as of 2012. The types covers fighters J-7,J-8, J-10, J-11, J-15,J-20, SU-27/30, JH-7, A-5 and H-6 bomber. Each type is accompanied by development history, details of specifications such as design, avionics, weapon systems and performance. High definition pictures are included for each type as well. A surprising number of unseen pictures are included too.

In addition the combat support types are included in the following chapters- the transports, AWACS trainers are covered as well. The AWACS fleet is one of most obscure subject in the PLAAF.

One useful chapter what was missing in other publications was the up to date weaponry deployed, which in this book is well documentated with pictures and illustrations. This chapter covers air-to-air and air-to-surface/ship or anti-radar missiles, plus PGMs, GP-bombs. Also a small mention of the Chinese nuclear weapons as well.

As much as most modellers like myself it will be good if the scale drawings of the aircraft are included as well, this will certainly complement the excellent pictures and color profiles in the book.

Chapter 4 deals with the ever mysterious serials of PLAAF and PLANAF aircraft. This chapter once and for all lifted all the mystery and confusion. How each aircraft is assigned to its regiments, divisions and military regions are explained. There is also a table detailing all the units with assigned serials since 2005.

Finally, Chapters 5 and 6 is the most comprehensive part of the book . Down to regimental level, the and complete ORBATs of the PLAAF and the PLANAF, Military Regions, and PLAN’s Fleet by Fleet, Division by Division are presented lavishly complete with photos, artworks, maps and tables.

The manner in which it was presented was easy to understand for most readers, each military region or fleet and their bases are accompanied by maps. A short write up of each division and a table detailing the regiments, the serials, type of aircraft deployed and the bases.

In conclusion this is currently THE book to get if you are into PLAAF/PLANAF. It has comprehensive coverage and up to date data. Highly recommended. I have a number of the Harpia titles and this title is certainly worth having in your collection.

Just found ...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151231022680989&set=a.413527050988.193148.309173565988&type=1&relevant_count=1&ref=nf

Deino

Attachments

• Arab MiGs - 4.jpg
    Arab MiGs - 4.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 525
Ohhh ... I completly forgot to mention their second book for 2013 !

Modern Israeli Air Power
by Ofer Zidon

Attachments

• Harpia - Israel.jpg
    Harpia - Israel.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 458
Just got a very nice mail from the Harpia team as well as from Tom Cooper:

Tom said:
It is with plenty of pride, and thus a true priviledge, to have the opportunity to post a flattening review of this book - prepared by nobody less but Norman Polmar - as published in June 2013 volume of the Naval Proceedings magazine (one of leading magazines of the US Navy).

Attachments

• Modern Chinese Warplanes - review by Polmar.jpg
    Modern Chinese Warplanes - review by Polmar.jpg
    499.3 KB · Views: 393