Register here

Author Topic: Nike Zeus and Derivatives  (Read 20336 times)

Offline Gator62

• CLEARANCE: Restricted
  • I really should change my personal text
Re: Nike Zeus and Derivatives
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2013, 08:37:22 am »
All the designations are basically correct except I do not recall ever using the DM15X or X2 on any drawings or specifications.  Nike X and X2 were Systems which used Nike Zeus or Spartan.

The basic differences are:
DM15 = Nike Zeus - Nike Hercules with new booster
DM15A = Nike Zeus A - New booster, new sustainer, warhead and guidance section, and third stage/control section
DM15B = Nike Zeus B - Same booster and sustainer as A, but new third stage fins
DM15C = Spartan - Same booster Dia. as B but new propellant, Sustainer same Dia. as the booster with same propellant as the       booster, new warhead and guidance section and same third stage motor/new control section.
DM15S = Modified B

Offline sferrin

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2013, 09:59:36 am »
All the designations are basically correct except I do not recall ever using the DM15X or X2 on any drawings or specifications.  Nike X and X2 were Systems which used Nike Zeus or Spartan.

The basic differences are:
DM15 = Nike Zeus - Nike Hercules with new booster
DM15A = Nike Zeus A - New booster, new sustainer, warhead and guidance section, and third stage/control section
DM15B = Nike Zeus B - Same booster and sustainer as A, but new third stage fins
DM15C = Spartan - Same booster Dia. as B but new propellant, Sustainer same Dia. as the booster with same propellant as the       booster, new warhead and guidance section and same third stage motor/new control section.
DM15S = Modified B

Is the 11,000lb weight figure for Zeus A accurate?  That's less than half that of Zeus B, and if they have the same booster and sustainer I'd think they'd be closer in weight.  Thanks.  And let me 2nd that you'll probably have your brain picked here.  :)
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline Gator62

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2013, 02:55:43 pm »
Sorry, can't help you with the weight discrepancy.  The "A" Missile program was over and the "B" Missile was in flight test when I joined Douglas.

Offline sferrin

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2013, 03:44:01 pm »
Sorry, can't help you with the weight discrepancy.  The "A" Missile program was over and the "B" Missile was in flight test when I joined Douglas.

Any idea how many Zeus A's were flown before they switched to the B?  I seem to recall it being less than 10 but I can't find a source.  And thanks for letting us pick your brain.  :)

Offline Gator62

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2013, 08:04:50 am »
I have no idea on how many tests were of the "A" missile.  It stands to reason that there weren't to many because couldn't keep the control fins on.  One of the first indoctrinations we received on the Nike Zeus Program was watching the films of the first few flight tests at White Sands.  Back then, we learned from our failures.

Offline Richard N

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2015, 07:42:47 pm »
A picture of the upper half of a Nike Zeus A from "Rockets of the Armed Forces" by Erik Bergaust, 1966.

Offline bobbymike

« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2017, 07:16:36 am »
Nike Missile Site Diagram
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

Charles W. Eliot

Offline sferrin

« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2017, 05:57:55 pm »
Several Zeus A shots

It's no slouch.  :o

0:30, 13:09, 27:22