Blue Water

Geoff_B said:
Lawrence

You should try and pick up the Paul Lucas TSR2 book as that covers the various missile proposals that were mooted bassed upon documented evidence from the archives. (Some certainly appear to be very silly such as Slybolt and Polaris !!!)

The word 'desperation' springs to mind......some very interesting drawings in the book though.

I don't know if this is of interest but there were questions as to whether any Blue Water missiles survived and dimensions. I bought this unfinished tail fin ten years ago and got around to cleaning it yesterday when I found several part numbers and an English Electric Guided Weapons inspectors stamp.

It still has four milling holders attached as well as milling lines. it is a two part fin that is riveted together.

Looking at the EE weapons it would appear to be a Blue Water tail fin. From one of the earlier links I pulled a close up of the tail fin. it is the same shape, angles and construction as the one in the link.

So I assume it was unfinished when the project was cancelled and left lying around for 50 years.

It is 76 cm tall and 76 cm wide at the base so ca. 36 inches/2.5 feet.

Of course it could be from another EE development project but square joining attachment is similar to the Blue Water as is the angle matching tail cone.

Thanks
Brian

Attachments

• Fin.jpg
    Fin.jpg
    492.8 KB · Views: 62
  • numbers.jpg
    numbers.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Blue Water close up.jpg
    Blue Water close up.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 57
Note according to a Ministry document held at Kew Polaris was made possible because of ICI work in the field, this gives yet another twist to what we think of the history of the subject.
This is a very interesting statement and runs counter to the general view of this, though the general view is often based on prejudice and ignorance.