Register here

Author Topic: British Naval projects from late 70's  (Read 13281 times)

Offline thebig C

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
Re: British Naval projects from late 70's
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 04:06:45 pm »
Here is the pic fromn the above link:)

Offline pathology_doc

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 09:15:20 am »
I agree, great images!

The BH.7 Mark 6 is a really interesting concept indeed. We know Iran received two BH.7 (I want to say it was a Mark 5) that were armed with Surface-to-Surface missiles but there seems to be some confusion as the whether they were Standard missiles or Sea Killers. Standard missiles could be used as de facto Anti-shipping missiles but images of these armed BH.7s show the launch tubes and they dont look like Standard Launchers. Regardless, these Mark 5s were something of a half-way design compared to this Mark 6 concept.

Of interesting note, Iran has recently rearmed at least one of the their BH.7 Mk 5 with Noor/C-802 AshMs.

Some images of the Armed BH.7 Mk 5:

I assume that the missile launchers' exhaust efflux has been shown NOT to melt or otherwise endanger the integrity of the rubber skirts?

Offline Eagle2009

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 05:04:10 pm »
Technically on the BH.7 Mk 5 had a modified deck design that left space for the launchers in the first place so the exhaust from the launched missile should be just far enough away not to damage the rubber skirt. I assume anyway, there is no record of Iran ever using the armed BH.7s.

Also, in the months since I posted that last post I have confirmed 100% that the missile tubes on those BH.7s (as originally fitted during the era of the Shah) were infact Standard missiles. If you compare the launchers with those fitted to Taiwan's modified WWII-era destroyers (now retired), they match perfectly. Now how such a system would work is questionable since the BH.7s have no visible fire control radar to guide the SM-1s. But I am certain that's what missiles those Mk5s were fitted for (but whether they were ever ARMED with them is another story entirely).

Offline RP1

• CLEARANCE: Secret
  • I see the truth in it.
    • RP1 dot net
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2012, 07:31:26 am »
Were they SARH Standard or ARM Standard? They look like the launchers on the recent Iranian corvettes.

RP1

"Just your standard-issue big gun."
- Batou, Ghost in the Shell

http://rp-one.net/

Offline TomS

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 07:55:05 am »
Iran had some Standard Missile box launchers on old (pre-Revolution) DDs.  These were apparently RIM-66B (SARH) rather than RGM-66D (ARM) but were intended only for surface use.  The Gearings never had a dedicated radar either; it looks like they used CW illumination piggybacked on the gun fire control radar.  It's possible that the BH-7 also pushed CW signals through another antenna (maybe a modification of the nav radar?)

Offline Eagle2009

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2012, 04:10:19 pm »
TomS,

My theory is the Shah fully intended to purchase the RGM-66 at a later date and they simply made due with what they were supplied.

Also, the Standard launchers fitted to the BH.7mk5s were actually different than those fitted to Iran's long retired WWII-era destroyers. The launchers used on those are actually TWIN launhcers, in that there are two RIM-66Bs in each "box", one stacked infront of the other. On the front of said box there is a hinged door that lifts the forward missile up (so its exhaust doesn't hit the missile at the back of the box directly I assume).

Offline thebig C

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2012, 12:47:05 pm »
Any renders of the Future Light Frigate, ASW Light Frigate and ASW Corvette....which were design studies from the 1970s?
Also, I've read that there was a Yarrow 1100 ton Corvette as a smaller brother to the design above...any info or pics?

Offline Grey Havoc

• The path not taken.
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2016, 03:44:11 am »
I agree, great images!

The BH.7 Mark 6 is a really interesting concept indeed. We know Iran received two BH.7 (I want to say it was a Mark 5) that were armed with Surface-to-Surface missiles but there seems to be some confusion as the whether they were Standard missiles or Sea Killers. Standard missiles could be used as de facto Anti-shipping missiles but images of these armed BH.7s show the launch tubes and they dont look like Standard Launchers. Regardless, these Mark 5s were something of a half-way design compared to this Mark 6 concept.

Of interesting note, Iran has recently rearmed at least one of the their BH.7 Mk 5 with Noor/C-802 AshMs.

Some images of the Armed BH.7 Mk 5:

To go slightly OT for a moment, from earlier in the decade:

(h/t PaulMM)
The sole imperative of a government, once instituted, is to survive.

Online CJGibson

• Top Contributor
  • GSATH is coming
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2016, 04:53:10 am »
Perhaps this is a model of one of the corvettes mentioned above.

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,22543.msg228128.html#msg228128

Chris

Offline Grey Havoc

• The path not taken.
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2018, 10:52:00 am »

(The Mk 20 is posted for comparison, since it was a 1980's design.)

http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8035&start=10

Offline Grey Havoc

• The path not taken.
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2018, 10:55:03 am »
By the way, came across this while trying to find more info on the Mk 20: http://www.jameshovercraft.co.uk/hover/hovermus/bhcbh7.php