Register here

Author Topic: F-19: artists impressions of the Stealth Fighter  (Read 94398 times)

Offline bagera3005

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
    • my photobucit
Re: F-19: artists impressions of the Stealth Fighter
« Reply #105 on: December 22, 2013, 08:32:33 pm »
blueprint of x-19 gi-joe

Offline Richard N

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #106 on: December 25, 2013, 03:37:55 pm »
A friend, who is a model maker for an aircraft manufacturer, told me about a model he saw at an IPMS Nationals before the F-117 picture came out. 
It had the then unpublicized stealth characteristics of aligned edges and surfaces.  He said it attracted a fair amount of attention and at some point was surrounded by suits and made invisible (gone). 
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 03:41:27 pm by Richard N »

Offline Skyblazer

• Global Moderator
  • CLEARANCE: Top Secret
« Reply #107 on: December 25, 2013, 03:56:53 pm »
A friend, who is a model maker for an aircraft manufacturer, told me about a model he saw at an IPMS Nationals before the F-117 picture came out. 
It had the then unpublicized stealth characteristics of aligned edges and surfaces.  He said it attracted a fair amount of attention and at some point was surrounded by suits and made invisible (gone). 

Possibly a desktop model of the Northrop XST?

Offline Richard N

« Reply #108 on: December 25, 2013, 05:22:14 pm »

Possibly a desktop model of the Northrop XST?

I think he would have mentioned what is was if it was recognizable as something he knew of.  I'll ask him the next time I see him and find out which Nationals it was.

Online PaulMM (Overscan)

• Secret Projects Forum Founder
  • Administrator
  • Paul Martell-Mead
    • Secret Projects
« Reply #109 on: December 26, 2013, 12:38:00 am »

I made a faceted model in 1986ish as a 13 year old kid after reading Bill Sweetman's book "Stealth" which described the "F-19" as being faceted. I achieved this by taking a 1/72 Italeri F-19 model and generous amounts of milliput (epoxy putty) and various plastic implements to get sharp facets. Planform alignment wasn't on my radar though and my facets were quite small - it would have been something like a 30 spike RCS. I got one half looking vaguely interesting but had no idea how to make the other half match. If only I'd owned a computer with CAD software and a mirror command....
"They can't see our arses for dust."

- Sir Sydney Camm

Offline Skyblazer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #110 on: December 26, 2013, 04:54:50 am »
I think he would have mentioned what is was if it was recognizable as something he knew of.  I'll ask him the next time I see him and find out which Nationals it was.

But if we're talking about before the first F-117 pic was revealed, it means the Northrop design wasn't known either (unless of course you're implying that your friend's employer WAS Northrop and that therefore he would have known what it was).

Offline hesham

« Reply #111 on: August 23, 2014, 04:43:59 am »
From the Report; Retraite anticipée pour un avion extraordinaire

a good artist drawing to Lockheed F-19.

Online fightingirish

« Reply #112 on: August 23, 2014, 10:24:01 am »
After unveiling F-117A heavily mastered photo in 10th November, 1988, numerous attempts were made to imagine fighter 3-view and understand how all this faceted stuff situated.
First one comes from guru Bill Sweetman, with an additional effort from Interavia magazine artist to reveal facets at official photo. (c) Bill Sweetman/Interavia (January, 1989)

Other drawings from his earlier article "USAF reveals the F-117A stealth fighter", published in Interavia December 1988, page 1221.
Slán,
fightingirish

Slán ist an Irish Gaelic word for Goodbye.  :)

Offline hesham

« Reply #113 on: August 23, 2014, 01:44:13 pm »
Great find my dear Rolf.

Online fightingirish

« Reply #114 on: November 12, 2014, 04:41:12 am »
Cutaways god Mike Badrocke's and Bill Sweetman's collective impressions of a 'stealth fighter'. It was 1986 on the backyard. Already then Sweetman was aknowledged that real aircraft use faceting LO technology.
(Bill Sweetman 'Stealth Aircraft: Secrets of Future Airpower', Motorbooks International, 1986)
Source: Bill Sweetman 'Stealth Aircraft: Secrets of Future Airpower', Motorbooks International, 1986, page 67 & 68
Slán,
fightingirish

Slán ist an Irish Gaelic word for Goodbye.  :)

Offline Jeb

« Reply #115 on: November 24, 2014, 11:18:33 am »
From the Report; Retraite anticipée pour un avion extraordinaire

a good artist drawing to Lockheed F-19.

I still have this one in die-cast.

Offline hesham

« Reply #116 on: November 30, 2014, 05:13:41 am »
Hi Jeb,

here is anther drawing to Lockheed F-19,from Jane's All the World's Aircraft 1986-1987.

Offline JimK

« Reply #117 on: December 06, 2014, 04:27:48 pm »
Here is the source of the three-view drawing which appeared 'way back in Reply #2.  I have included the story that accompanied it.  Unfortunately I cannot recall the name of the magazine, which is abbreviated on the text page as "S & D 92".  From some of the expressions in the text, it appears that English was not the author's first language.  The illustrator goes by the name JODA, unless that is an acronym.  The article appeared in 1984 and while the drawing is way off, the article got many things right, so that, at the time, I thought that it had revealed the mythical F-19.  I have no idea as to what a "lamellar intake" could be (made up of thin plates?). It repeats in text and drawing the story that the airplane should fit inside a C-5.

Offline Steve Pace

• Aviation History Writer
« Reply #118 on: December 06, 2014, 08:48:16 pm »
bogus
When you know you're right, go ahead.

Offline HeavyG

« Reply #119 on: December 07, 2014, 01:15:29 pm »
The magazine "S&D" refers to "Strategy and Defence" which was a legitimate magazine based out of Ireland; it was short lived, only having lasted a little less that a year. I remember as I recall purchasing a few copies of this particular magazine; it's production run lasted less than a year. That artists conception is probably legit; there were similar drawings published in other magazines and books.