Register here

Author Topic: F-19: artists impressions of the Stealth Fighter  (Read 94517 times)

Offline Jemiba

• Global Moderator
  • CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: F-19: artists impressions of the Stealth Fighter
« Reply #90 on: October 15, 2011, 07:43:50 am »
I have a little die-cast toy of that F-19 fighter too.  Ah, the memories.

They are all around !   ;D
It takes a long time, before all mistakes are made ...

Offline The Artist

« Reply #91 on: October 16, 2011, 08:19:32 pm »
And in different colors. Mine is overall light lime green with light yellow and black trim
"Thank you for summing that up."

Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III

AAAdrone

« Reply #92 on: October 17, 2011, 10:33:21 am »
Mine's the typical black.  It's a newer toy.

Offline antigravite

« Reply #93 on: November 18, 2012, 04:59:48 am »
117th Intelligence Squadron Patch using a Northrop / Loral F19 Specter concept art design
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
L e t   b o l d s   b e   l i g h t
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Offline airrocket

• CLEARANCE: Secret
  • Dreams To Reality
    • Retro Flight
« Reply #94 on: February 13, 2013, 11:26:34 pm »
The Loral (Northtop) F-19 was the real deal it did exist the models you see are very close to the actual design planform. The Testor's F-19 is more of a fantasy model which has taken on the F-19 mystic while the real F-19 is the Loral. It did exist as a real concept and very likely it did fly and perhaps one is still out there..... It is a direct Grandparent of the YF-23 much of the Loral was translated to the B2 and YF-23. And much of the stealth incorporated in to the Loral design is period correct its place in stealth evolution.

The Loral F-19 planform has been flown as an RC EDF and way back in the day prior to the modern micro gyro's as an all composite large scale late 80's  scratch built messy old gas powered ducted fan flown by "seat-of-the -pants".

So yes that planform can fly and rather well actually. Modern micro gyro's allow it to fly very solid and smooth as an RC model just as a real one may have back in the day.

The Loral F-19 was mostly based on "source distribution technique" like the B-2 rather than the the angular faceted method. If one is familiar with source distribution you will recognize it clearly at play in the planform shape of the Loral models and art work.

The Loral F-19 is much more accepted as being a reality in the mainstream today.

All the pieces of the Loral F-19 fit very nicely into the F-19 puzzle... I believe so because they belong there.

This is a case where the legend is much more of a mystery than the reality.
Vis Viva

Offline Skyblazer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #95 on: February 14, 2013, 05:14:07 am »
The Loral (Northrop) F-19 (...) did exist as a real concept and very likely it did fly and perhaps one is still out there.

I am convinced that there WAS an F-19 aircraft that had nothing to do with the F-117, and this for several reasons:
  • The skipping of "F-19" makes no sense. The stealth program was not that much of a secret until the late 1970s. Work on Have Blue was hinted at as early as 1973 or 1974. The "F-19" slot corresponds to that period when stealth was in development but not yet top secret. It is likely that whatever the "F-19" was, the designation was made secret as an afterthought.
  • The F-117 never was a fighter but an attack aircraft and therefore belonged in the A- class. It could NOT have been the "F-19".
  • In the early days of the internet, I saved a whole page of very detailed specs for the F-19 fighter from the website of a perfectly serious and genuine aircraft supplier that allegedly provided parts for the type and had no reason to make up the whole thing.
  • If stealth attack and the bomber demonstrators were created, it makes little sense that stealth would not have been tested on a fighter design.
Besides, several aerospace companies such as Loral or Hughes featured designs of unknown combat planes in the midst of other well identified types on posters and ads showing the programs they were involved in.I have doubt however that the Northrop/Loral design (which was shown in the Loral ads and also became the Testors model) is the real one. Looks too sci-fi to me, and besides there is no reason why Northrop and Loral would have disclosed the real design in their ads at a time when stealth had become highly secret. The real item must have been a lot less impressive...

Offline Arjen

• It's turtles all the way down
« Reply #96 on: February 14, 2013, 05:20:55 am »
I read somewhere  - possibly on spf, alzheimer light kicking in - that Northrop wanted the F-20 designation for its F-5 derivative. Because that would make the Tigershark the first Twenty-something fighter, in stead of the last Teen-fighter.

Offline Skyblazer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #97 on: February 14, 2013, 05:37:16 am »
I read somewhere  - possibly on spf, alzheimer light kicking in - that Northrop wanted the F-20 designation for its F-5 derivative. Because that would make the Tigershark the first Twenty-something fighter, in stead of the last Teen-fighter.

Heard that one too, but that doesn't mean F-19 had to be skipped. Apart from the Fisher P-75 Eagle that followed the Republic P-72, designations are rarely skipped... Apart from the *-13 designations (for superstitious reasons), most are used. Sometimes a number is skipped after several submissions were made and rejected (the C-16 for instance) but mostly that doesn't happen. The jump from F-23 to F-35 may have resulted from an official mistake, but it could also be a convenient way not to have to raise questions about the numbers in-between (we know for instance that there WAS a YF-24A though no-one knows what it was).

Offline GTX

• All hail the God of Frustration!!!
    • Beyond The Sprues
« Reply #98 on: February 14, 2013, 09:26:30 am »
we know for instance that there WAS a YF-24A though no-one knows what it was

We do?

Offline PaulMM (Overscan)

• Secret Projects Forum Founder
  • Administrator
  • Paul Martell-Mead
    • Secret Projects
« Reply #99 on: February 14, 2013, 11:48:02 am »
People have mixed up two lines from Joe Lanni's biography:

http://web.archive.org/web/20050318164828/http://www.edwards.af.mil/units/bio/lanni-bio.html

Aircraft flown include: F-4C-E, F-5E, F-15, F-16A-D, F-14, F-18, HH-60G, F/A-22, YF-24

and

Conducted first flights of two classified prototype aircraft

Into believing YF-24 was a designation for a classified prototype stealth aircraft.

In fact, YF-24 seems to have been a cover designation for US evalation of an Su-27. It may or may not be one of the two "classified prototype aircraft" mentioned.

Lanni was involved with the "Red Hats" so its certain that he flew foreign aircraft in the 1992 - 1997 period.
"They can't see our arses for dust."

- Sir Sydney Camm

Online _Del_

• CLEARANCE: Secret
  • I really should change my personal text
« Reply #100 on: February 14, 2013, 08:20:35 pm »
I'm game that the YF-24 may have represented the SU-27 in inventory, but you lose me suggesting that may qualify as one of the "prototype" aircraft. 

I'm not completely convinced that the YF-24 designation wasn't applied to the SU-27 for convenience after that little tidbit appeared in print either, but I confess that I love a good conspiracy.

Offline Triton

• Donald McKelvy
    • Deep Blue to Wild Blue
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 06:08:08 pm by Triton »

Offline Triton

• Donald McKelvy
    • Deep Blue to Wild Blue
« Reply #102 on: April 10, 2013, 05:56:03 pm »
Additional photos of G.I. Joe X-19 Phantom Stealth Fighter toy released by Hasbro in 1988.

Source:
http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/88/phantom/
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 06:08:34 pm by Triton »

Offline Triton

• Donald McKelvy
    • Deep Blue to Wild Blue
« Reply #103 on: April 10, 2013, 05:59:27 pm »
Additional photos of G.I. Joe X-19 Phantom Stealth Fighter toy released by Hasbro in 1988.

Source:
http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/88/phantom/
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 06:09:01 pm by Triton »

Offline XP67_Moonbat

In God we trust, all others we monitor. :-p