Register here

Author Topic: IAI Lavi  (Read 23622 times)

Offline datafuser

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
Re: IAI Lavi
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2015, 08:23:02 pm »
A secret document dated 3 September 1977 mentioned Weizman's "crazy idea" to develop a "post F-16" aircraft with Iran.

https://www.wikileaks.org/plusd/cables/1977STATE211727_c.html

SUBJECT: FMS SUPPORT OF KFIR PROGRAM AND NEW AIRCRAFT DEVELOPMENT

" 3. I THEN TURNED TO HIS "CRAZY IDEA" CONCERNING JOINT ISRAELI-IRANIAN CO-PRODUCTION OF A POST F-16 AIRCRAFT (WITH OR WITHOUT U.S. ASSISTANCE) "

Offline fightingirish

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2017, 08:54:11 am »
Kobi Richter - Opinion: I Opposed Building Israeli Fighter Jet Based on the Truth
Summary by Alert 5.
Cost and performance killed the Lavi
Kobi Richter, the former Israeli Air Force Weapons Department head, wrote this op-ed on why he had supported the decision to cancel the indigenous Lavi fighter.
He explained that the development team was having financial woes in completing the program, in order to meet the target of delivering the aircraft to the air force, sacrifices have to be made on the jet’s performance. This will lead to a platform that is similar to the F-16.
Israel will also have to build up the support system for 200 Lavis and this will put further strain on the budget. The F-16 was already inducted into service with the necessary ground support in place.

Read more (paywall) at: https://www.haaretz.com/opinion/.premium-1.815182
Slán,
fightingirish

Slán ist an Irish Gaelic word for Goodbye.  :)

McDonnell Douglas Model 225 painting by "The Artist" Michael Burke (Tavush) 2018, found at deviantart.com and at Secret Projects Forum » Research Topics » User Artwork » McDonnell Douglas Model 225 Painting

Offline Motocar

• CLEARANCE: Secret
  • I really should change my personal text
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2017, 07:53:55 am »
Cutaway IAI Lavi retouched by Motocar

Offline XP67_Moonbat

« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2018, 10:23:43 am »
Evolution of The Lavi Fighter Aircraft, S. Tsach, A. Peled

http://www.icas.org/ICAS_ARCHIVE/ICAS1988/ICAS-88-1.6.3.pdf
In God we trust, all others we monitor. :-p

Offline RAP

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2018, 06:47:41 pm »
Nice find!  Thanks.

Offline kcran567

« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2018, 04:25:06 pm »
Very nice, would have been a very good lightweight air to air and air to ground aircraft. reading the document, see all the different configurations was very interesting. The twin-tailboom configuration had very good AOA performance but the single tail was considered more low risk structurally and time-wise. Maybe a future Lavi follow on would have been twin tailed! For the price, was a phenomenal design.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 04:28:31 pm by kcran567 »