Register here

Author Topic: Northrop Special Operations Low-Intensity Combat Mission Aircraft (SOLICMA?)  (Read 664 times)

Offline Airplane

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 09:13:58 am by flateric »
"The test of success is not what you do when your on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
General George S. Patton

Offline TomS

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: Stealth Transport Cockpit Mockup
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 07:22:24 am »
Gotta say, something about this doesn't quite pass the smell test.

1) Why would pictures from this undisclosed SOLIC aircraft be mixed in with cleared for release B-2 images?  And if it was an inadvertant disclosure, why would they admit it?  So easy to just say something like "during the Advanced Technology Bomber development effort, we explored a variety of possible concepts" and dismiss this as just a road not taken. This suggests to me that it's probably an intentional disclosure that they were preparing to release anyway.  That's the only logical reason for the pictures to be stored in a place where they could be put in the wrong video.

2) Assuming it is this SOLIC aircraft, are we convinced it's a transport?  The "canopy severence" item suggests ejection seats to me.  But transports generally don't have ejection seats -- if the pax in back can't get out in an emergency, why should the guys up front have the option?  And transports with tandem seating are also unusual.  If you have enough fuselage width for pax, you have room for side-by-side seating up front.

Offline Orionblamblam

• Secret Projects Guru
  • Top Contributor
    • Aerospace Projects Review
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 07:44:41 am »

2) Assuming it is this SOLIC aircraft, are we convinced it's a transport? 

*EVERY* aircraft is a transport. The B-2, for example, can transport 80 500-pound bombs.
Aerospace Projects Review

And so the endless circle of life comes to an end, meaningless and grim. Why did they live, and why did they die? No reason. Two hundred million years of evolution snuffed out, for in the end Nature is horrific and teaches us nothing

Offline _Del_

• CLEARANCE: Secret
  • I really should change my personal text
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 08:31:33 am »
Are we sure this isn't just an early B-2 cockpit concept? The physical contours limited by the aircraft's design look just like the left side of the B-2, including the canopy release. Obviously there is more glass in today's B-2, but the two main/center stacked displays seem identical, as well.

Offline djfawcett

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 09:02:26 am »
This is a classic case of believe nothing of what you read, and only half of what you see.  If you look closely at the glare shield in the far right picture, it appears to be mirrored to the right indicating side-by-side seating.  Moreover, do you really think the Northrop guys would really respond, "oooppppsssss, my bad, you caught us, this is really the cockpit of our secret transport ............... only in the dreams of the wishful thinkers.

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
Tyler clearly says:

"I reached out to Northrop Grumman about the puzzling photo and what I got back confirmed my suspicions."
Well, I guess he didn't made designation "Special Operations Low-Intensity Combat Mission Aircraft" up.

Remember the case with X-44A. Many didn't believe him then.
"There are many disbelievers in
stealth, more than a few of them truly technically ignorant and proud of it." Sherm Mullin, Skunk Works

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
This is a classic case of believe nothing of what you read, and only half of what you see.  If you look closely at the glare shield in the far right picture, it appears to be mirrored to the right indicating side-by-side seating. 
Moreover, do you really think the Northrop guys would really respond, "oooppppsssss, my bad, you caught us, this is really the cockpit of our secret transport ............... only in the dreams of the wishful thinkers.

They do that sometimes. Quite often recently.
"There are many disbelievers in
stealth, more than a few of them truly technically ignorant and proud of it." Sherm Mullin, Skunk Works

Offline sferrin

Tyler clearly says:

Remember the case with X-44A. Many didn't believe him then.

He's been FOS so many times it's easy to understand why.
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline djfawcett

The writer's motivation to contact Northrop was driven by the notion that the cockpit was single seat or tandem.  I find it rather obvious that it is side-by-side, and the center post is no more than a template to set boundary conditions.  Given all things being said, the writer either has a vivid imagination or the Northrop guys are just having "fun".  Since I know some of the guys, I suspect they are having "fun".

Offline turboshaft

Low-profile tandem cockpits appeared in many of the SOFA/SOFTA proposals (and, doubtless, the follow-on Project IX studies).