Register here

Author Topic: MK 71 Lightweight 8" gun.  (Read 23538 times)

Offline sferrin

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: MK 71 Lightweight 8" gun.
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2019, 11:52:09 am »
From NAVWEAPS:

"The gun barrel for the Mark 71 was the Mark 28 Mod 1, a 55 caliber two-piece loose liner barrel. The production gun mount was to have used a one piece monobloc barrel designated as the Mark32. "
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Online SpudmanWP

« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2019, 11:56:03 am »
I don't understand why I have never seen a naval gun with a muzzle break.  This should help reduce stress & recoil through the ship.
WE4-45-1-08     OMHIWDMB
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Offline TomS

« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2019, 12:43:40 pm »
I don't understand why I have never seen a naval gun with a muzzle break.  This should help reduce stress & recoil through the ship.

There are some -- the OTO Melara 76mm has one, as do some guns in the OTO 127mm family, for example. 

Offline RLBH

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2019, 05:42:57 am »
A muzzle brake also significantly increases blast overpressure in the surrounding area. On ground vehicles this isn't such an issue, provided that the surrounding area doesn't have too many people around, because dirt is pretty hard to break and nobody really cares if you do break it. On ships, you have to provide additional structure to deal with the overpressure. In general, it's preferable to make the gun mount strong enough to handle the full recoil of the weapon, rather than have to beef up quite a bit of the upper decks and superstructure. Though there are always exceptions to any rule of thumb.