1/96 Scale Big Apollo CSM Card Model

SAustin16

Bravo to All Brave Test Pilots
Reaction score
Good Day To All,

The proposed follow-on to Gemini, the Big Gemini Logistics spacecraft was to deliver supplies and personnel to the upcoming military and civilian space stations of the early 1970's.

I wondered what a "Big Apollo" Logistics spacecraft might have looked like if North American had extended the profile of the Apollo CSM as a competitor to Big Gemini. Here's my completely conjectural card model of Big Apollo that would ride to orbit on top of an S-IVB. Designed in Metasequoia and the details worked in MSWord.

Please excuse the poor workmanship...this was the fit-test prototype build and I wanted to see how gold foil (candy wrappers) would look. At 1/96 scale, the photos show a lot of problems that the eye doesn't see from a distance (I hope).

Steve Austin

Attachments

• IMG_BA1 - Post.JPG
    IMG_BA1 - Post.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_BA2 - Post.JPG
    IMG_BA2 - Post.JPG
    228 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_BA3 - Post.JPG
    IMG_BA3 - Post.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_BA4 - Post.JPG
    IMG_BA4 - Post.JPG
    298.6 KB · Views: 56
SAustin16 said:
I wondered what a "Big Apollo" Logistics spacecraft might have looked like if North American had extended the profile of the Apollo CSM ...

There were several such designs. The Lockheed BALLOS springs to mind, as does a North American "space bomber" design.

Thank you for the kind words Gentlemen.

And for the lead on Ballos and the NAA Space Bomber. I'll check those out.

Still completely conjectural. Big Apollo launched on top of an S-IVB rendevousing with it's big brother launched on an S-II. Flying formation then docked nose to nose. Both 1/96 scale card models.

Attachments

• RendevBigA-Post.jpg
    RendevBigA-Post.jpg
    386.7 KB · Views: 47
  • DockedBigA.JPG
    DockedBigA.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 13
Orionblamblam said:
SAustin16 said:
I wondered what a "Big Apollo" Logistics spacecraft might have looked like if North American had extended the profile of the Apollo CSM ...

There were several such designs. The Lockheed BALLOS springs to mind, as does a North American "space bomber" design.

...Got links for BALLOS, Scott?