Short PD.16/SC.3

During development, the PD.16 was re-designated the SC.3.

Three-view drawing of Short SC.3.

Source: Barnes, Christopher Henry and James, Derek N. Shorts Aircraft Since 1900 Putnam Aeronautical Books 1989 p.467.

Attachments

• ShortSC3.jpg
    ShortSC3.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 1,074
index.php

Source: http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1134.msg36369.html#msg36369

index.php

Source: http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1134.msg58891.html#msg58891

Shorts PD16 twin-boom turboprop STOL airlifter/car ferry project......

Dear Boys and Girls, here is a picture with a caption in French of a V/STOL version of the Shorts PD16 turboprop airlifter/car ferry "project". The picture shows two pylon-mounted pods each containing 9 Rolls-Royce RB.108 lift-engines......

The picture was used to illustrate a large article comparing a single-engine VTOL type against a multiple lift-engine VTOL type......

The article comes from the 8th January 1961 issue of Les Ailes......

Terry (Caravellarella)

Attachments

• Shorts PD16 project artist's impression - Les Ailes - No. 1,851 - 8 Janvier 1961.......jpg
    Shorts PD16 project artist's impression - Les Ailes - No. 1,851 - 8 Janvier 1961.......jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 934
Then why didn't the search function work when I was looking for a topic on the Shorts PD-16?

I was searching for short + "pd 16" . As far as my experience goes, it's better to relinquish
hyphens or points, but just to put the letters and numbers in quotation marks.

I believe Shorts hastily reassessed their VTOL designs and methods after the SC1 asymmetrical thrust incident.

Hi Folks,

I'm doing a bit of research for some new pages at www.adf-serials.com.au and am looking for any info and drawings of both:

- Bristol 179B (I see we already have a drawing of the 179A - very nice!)
- Bristol 195
- Shorts PD.16/1

All three types were offered and considered by the RAAF during the selection process for a C-47 replacement in 1954-55.

Other types considered were the Blackburn Beverley, Fairchild C-119G Flying Boxcar and Fairchild C-123B Provider.

Ultimately, the C-130A was selected for RAAF service and 12 were purchased.

The version of the PD.16 offered to the RAAF has been referred to by the designation PD.16/1 and I would be interested to know how this varied (if at all) from the PD.16/SC.3 if anyone knows.

All help will be acknowledged online.

Many thanks

Brendan

Hi Cowanb,

I will try to find a drawings to Bristol 179B and 195.

Morning,

You'll be needing a copy of On Atlas' Shoulders.

Chris

BC, your local Booktopia has a discount deal right now. Treat yourself to a Christmas present

CJGibson said:
Morning,

You'll be needing a copy of On Atlas' Shoulders.

Chris

In page 67,you will find a drawing to Type-179B.