Letov L.115 "Delfin" postal/courier transport (possibly a hoax)

so far just give link to image you want to show

Triton said:
The aircraft that "semperaggressus" would like identified.

Source: http://www.aereo.jor.br/page/4/
Better Link: http://www.aereo.jor.br/2010/07/11/desafio-poder-aereo-39/
According to the Google Translator, it seems to be a project from Czechoslovakia, developed in the late 40's.

I have no idea of what the name could be but I think I see some Siebel Si 204 influence in that design. You might try a general search using that as a starting point.

The plane in the picture is definitely civic insignia Czechoslovakia.
Siebel Si 204 was built on Letov under the designation S.328.
(sorry, sorry, :-[ my holey memory
course Aero as C-3A / C-103 )
and probably had an influence on this project.
The characteristic shape of the wing said in favor of the fact that one of the designers may be able Vincenc Hodek. ???

Mmhh, I had an other plane as S.328 (see attachment). The Siebel S.204D was built on Aero as C.103.

I believe the project is the post war Letov L.115 "Delfin".

Servus Maveric

Attachments

• Letov S-328.jpg
    Letov S-328.jpg
    539 KB · Views: 318
Triton said:
The aircraft that "semperaggressus" would like identified.

Source: http://www.aereo.jor.br/page/4/

I'm sure it was an OK-APRil joke. Maybe Vaclac Nemeček was the "author" of this design. I remember an article in an West German aviation magazine ("aero" or "Der Flieger"?) "repeating" this project, but unfortunately I can't find the issue for the moment :( .

Yes...It is the Letov L 115 Delphin......
but I have no details !!
Bye

Hi,

for the L-115,we discussed it in the closed site (Airwarefareforum),
and I don't remember if we considered it a true project or not !.

Letov L.115 "Delfin".
Congratulations to Maverik and toura.
Great search work and thank you for your help.

Beyond any doubt this was an April joke by nobody else than Vaclav Němeček, who published in an April 1947 issue of the "Rozlet" magazine an article on two Czechoslovakian jet-engined aircraft: the Letov L-115 Delfin postal or courier jet and Avia Av-52 "Nikola Šuhaj" fighter. The article was accompanied by pictures of both the aircratf (if my memory seves me well, these were by Němeček too). Němeček then repeatedly confessed to his joke (e.g. in an interview for "Letectvi + Kosmonautika" issue 24/1984), but when the information on the airplanes he had created passed out to the Western world they started to be reprinted in numerous magazines, books and so forth.

The most known is an article in the "Flying" magazine from February 1951 (by William Green and Roy Cross), in which the Av-52 became a ground-attack plane and the L-115 - all-weather fighter (the authors added something from their own imagination).
The article may be found at http://books.google.pl/books?id=XnEVvqE08OwC&pg=PA17&lpg=PA17&dq=Avia+%22Av-52%22&source=bl&ots=xemG8-0r_5&sig=P6WjmhQRrmaXmnfjYL7Qcz59Bxc&hl=pl&sa=X&ei=I-6FT7SFC8ia4ASVtr3pBA&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false.

It contains the "Av-52" drawing as well and says on these projects as follows:

Although the Me-262 itself is believed to have been discontinued, the Avia design team has used the experience gained from its production in the design and construction of the Avia Av-52 ‘Nikol Suhaj’ which displays marked Messerschmitt influence. Designed in 1947, construction of the prototype Av-52 was started late that year at Cakovice. Since the Communist coup and the raising of the security barrier, no further news of the progress of this design has filtered through. Production may well have been accelerated under Communist direction and, if so, the machine should have been under test by the Czech Air Force for some time past and may even have entered full-scale production.
A single-seat ground attack fighter, the Avia Av-52 has a sharp pointed nose with the cockpit canopy set well foward of the square-cut, low aspect wing. Highly unusual is the location of its Jumo 004B-1 axial-flow turbojet, housed below the fuselage in a large nacelle, necessitating the use of a long-stroke tricycle landing gear. Production machines will presumably have the improved Jumo turbojets which probably now give a thrust of 3,080-3,960 pounds [1397-1796 kG].
Owing to the Avia’s ground attack role, provision is made for the attachment of bombs or rocket projectiles under the wings, and the following loads, or a combination of them, may be carried: two 992-lb [450 kg] bombs, four 495-lb bombs [225 kg] or Russian-style Rs.82 rocket bombs. Forward-firing armament consists of two 30-mm quick-firing cannon which protrude on either side of the fuselage nose.
Estimated performance figures and dimensions are as follows: Maximum speed, 525 mph [845 kph]; cruising speed, 498 mph [801 kph]; range 466 miles [750 km] at cruising speed; service ceiling 41,338 [12600 m] feet; span 37 ft 7 ½ in. [11,47 m]; length 35 ft 8 in. [10,87 m]; height 11 ft 7 in [3,53 m].
Another large airframe plant is the former Letecke Zavody Letov at Letnany. Ist known projects have been dropped in favour of increased concentration on combat type and research, and their first jet design is the Letov L-115 Delfin twin-jet all-weather fighter.
Designed by V. Kabina, the Delfin is an extremely interesting and unusual design. Seating a crew of two, its two adjacent Jumo 004B-1 turbojets are half-buried in the top fuselage, are fed via side-by-side air intakes and exhaust together over the rear fuselage. The thin elliptical wing spans 49 ft 2 ½ in [15 m], only slightly more than the fuselage length of 46 feet [14 m]. Maximum speed is reputed to be 547 mph [880 kph], cruising speed is 516 mph [830 kph] and range is 795 miles [1280 km], but the latter can be increased to 920 miles [1480 km] with additional internal tankage.
No armament is fitted in the prototype and, like the Avia, no news of its present status has filtered through from Czechoslovakia recently. This type is more likely to be useful to the Czechs and Russians than the Avia jest for it falls into a performance and type category unfilled by any known Russian type, failing as it does between the fast swept-wing MiG-15s and La-17s and the medium weight machines such as the Tu-10.

Piotr

Beyond any doubt this was an April joke by nobody else than Vaclav Němeček, who published in an April 1947 issue of the "Rozlet" magazine an article on two Czechoslovakian jet-engined aircraft: the Letov L-115 Delfin postal or courier jet and Avia Av-52 "Nikola Šuhaj" fighter. The article was accompanied by pictures of both the aircratf (if my memory seves me well, these were by Němeček too). Němeček then repeatedly confessed to his joke (e.g. in an interview for "Letectvi + Kosmonautika" issue 24/1984), but when the information on the airplanes he had created passed out to the Western world they started to be reprinted in numerous magazines, books and so forth.

The most known is an article in the "Flying" magazine from February 1951 (by William Green and Roy Cross), in which the Av-52 became a ground-attack plane and the L-115 - all-weather fighter (the authors added something from their own imagination).
The article may be found at http://books.google.pl/books?id=XnEVvqE08OwC&pg=PA17&lpg=PA17&dq=Avia+"Av-52"&source=bl&ots=xemG8-0r_5&sig=P6WjmhQRrmaXmnfjYL7Qcz59Bxc&hl=pl&sa=X&ei=I-6FT7SFC8ia4ASVtr3pBA&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false.

It contains the "Av-52" drawing as well and says on these projects as follows:

Although the Me-262 itself is believed to have been discontinued, the Avia design team has used the experience gained from its production in the design and construction of the Avia Av-52 ‘Nikol Suhaj’ which displays marked Messerschmitt influence. Designed in 1947, construction of the prototype Av-52 was started late that year at Cakovice. Since the Communist coup and the raising of the security barrier, no further news of the progress of this design has filtered through. Production may well have been accelerated under Communist direction and, if so, the machine should have been under test by the Czech Air Force for some time past and may even have entered full-scale production.
A single-seat ground attack fighter, the Avia Av-52 has a sharp pointed nose with the cockpit canopy set well foward of the square-cut, low aspect wing. Highly unusual is the location of its Jumo 004B-1 axial-flow turbojet, housed below the fuselage in a large nacelle, necessitating the use of a long-stroke tricycle landing gear. Production machines will presumably have the improved Jumo turbojets which probably now give a thrust of 3,080-3,960 pounds [1397-1796 kG].
Owing to the Avia’s ground attack role, provision is made for the attachment of bombs or rocket projectiles under the wings, and the following loads, or a combination of them, may be carried: two 992-lb [450 kg] bombs, four 495-lb bombs [225 kg] or Russian-style Rs.82 rocket bombs. Forward-firing armament consists of two 30-mm quick-firing cannon which protrude on either side of the fuselage nose.
Estimated performance figures and dimensions are as follows: Maximum speed, 525 mph [845 kph]; cruising speed, 498 mph [801 kph]; range 466 miles [750 km] at cruising speed; service ceiling 41,338 [12600 m] feet; span 37 ft 7 ½ in. [11,47 m]; length 35 ft 8 in. [10,87 m]; height 11 ft 7 in [3,53 m].
Another large airframe plant is the former Letecke Zavody Letov at Letnany. Ist known projects have been dropped in favour of increased concentration on combat type and research, and their first jet design is the Letov L-115 Delfin twin-jet all-weather fighter.
Designed by V. Kabina, the Delfin is an extremely interesting and unusual design. Seating a crew of two, its two adjacent Jumo 004B-1 turbojets are half-buried in the top fuselage, are fed via side-by-side air intakes and exhaust together over the rear fuselage. The thin elliptical wing spans 49 ft 2 ½ in [15 m], only slightly more than the fuselage length of 46 feet [14 m]. Maximum speed is reputed to be 547 mph [880 kph], cruising speed is 516 mph [830 kph] and range is 795 miles [1280 km], but the latter can be increased to 920 miles [1480 km] with additional internal tankage.

No armament is fitted in the prototype and, like the Avia, no news of its present status has filtered through from Czechoslovakia recently. This type is more likely to be useful to the Czechs and Russians than the Avia jest for it falls into a performance and type category unfilled by any known Russian type, failing as it does between the fast swept-wing MiG-15s and La-17s and the medium weight machines such as the Tu-10.

Piotr
The 1954 book Turbine- and Jet-propelled Aircraft Powerplants lists these characteristics and specifications for the L-115. Anyone have an idea as to who first became aware of Vaclav Němeček's article in the April 1947 issue of the "Rozlet" magazine?