Register here

Author Topic: Royal Navy Type 26 Frigate  (Read 53629 times)

Offline DWG

• CLEARANCE: Secret
Re: Royal Navy Type 26 Frigate
« Reply #75 on: July 29, 2017, 04:18:06 am »
c0:40 in fredymac's video, ACNS 'the 5" gun at the front'. It had certainly been talked about, but had that been confirmed before now?

Offline JFC Fuller

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2017, 04:32:08 am »
Yes, it was confirmed years ago and the guns are already ordered. It also has the automatic ammunition handling system in the bow.

Offline FighterJock

« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2017, 09:04:13 am »
Yes, it was confirmed years ago and the guns are already ordered. It also has the automatic ammunition handling system in the bow.

Interesting to note that it has got an automatic ammunition handling system in the bow, that will save time for loading after the gun fires.

Offline Moose

« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2017, 09:48:07 am »

Interesting to note that it has got an automatic ammunition handling system in the bow, that will save time for loading after the gun fires.
Will also allow the mount to operate more effectively with fewer crew.

Offline Triton

• Donald McKelvy
    • Deep Blue to Wild Blue
« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2017, 10:21:55 am »
Published on Jul 3, 2017

BAE Systems video showing how the Type 26 will be built.

Offline Triton

• Donald McKelvy
    • Deep Blue to Wild Blue
« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2017, 10:36:21 am »
Inside the Type 26 Frigate

Published on Jul 20, 2017

Offline FighterJock

« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2017, 12:47:23 pm »
Inside the Type 26 Frigate

Published on Jul 20, 2017

Highly interesting videos Triton, thanks for posting.  B)

Offline DWG

« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2017, 07:42:27 am »
The build sequence is interesting to watch. The clearances with yard infrastructure look like they may have caused a few headaches: "Bay 2 door must be open".

Offline Ron5

• CLEARANCE: Restricted
  • I really should change my personal text
« Reply #83 on: July 31, 2017, 08:43:03 am »
It was the Treasury that nixxed the "frigate factory" plan and insisted on minimum investment in infrastructure. Not Bae.

Offline JFC Fuller

« Reply #84 on: August 01, 2017, 03:45:01 am »
BAE is a private company that holds the freehold on the Scotstoun site- the Treasury is not stopping them from doing anything.

Offline DWG

« Reply #85 on: August 01, 2017, 05:30:23 am »
Video showing a model of the ammunition handling system for the Mark 45 installation on the Type 26. Looks like 192 rounds ready to fire on the assumption the cutaway portside racks match starboard.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 05:49:40 am by DWG »

Offline Ron5

« Reply #86 on: August 01, 2017, 06:54:51 am »
The Treasury would have to pay for any infrastructure improvements. Bae asked for 200 million for the "frigate factory" noting that the monies would be more than paid back by savings over the lifetime of the program. The Treasury declined.

I'm sure you would like to deny these facts by saying Bae should fund themselves. Right now, all Bae has guaranteed is an order for 3 ships at the tiny profit margin the Treasury allows for military contracts. Financially that does not warrant a major infrastructure investment. Only an order for the 8 would do that and the Treasury will not commit that much. The Treasury lives year to year, they are constitutionally averse to spending now to save later. Despite that being a main plank of Smart Procurement.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 07:02:33 am by Ron5 »

Offline Ron5

« Reply #87 on: August 01, 2017, 07:01:37 am »
Previously Bae had stated that the automated magazine contained 196 rounds. Later, they said the number was classified.

Offline sferrin

« Reply #88 on: August 01, 2017, 08:08:46 am »
No denial at all, BAE is a private sector company with a freehold on Scotstoun, it could fund the frigate factory if it wanted but chose not to and blame the government instead. I am fed up of the whining from a company that expects endless dollops of taxpayer cash without taking any risk itself.

Why should it?  Granted, the companies that take some risk may reap significant rewards (see Lockheed and stealth), but there's nothing that says they HAVE to.  (They'll just croak in the end because others took risk to bring new technology to market.)
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline Foo Fighter

• I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
« Reply #89 on: August 02, 2017, 03:34:06 am »
The demands made by BAe are a result of the privatisation policies of one Margaret Thatcher and as a privatised company they are required by their shareholders to make ever increasing profit which is an untenable position in the long term.  NOTHING can continue to grow year on year at the rates required to keep the stock exchange happy, it is illogical.

These policies of privatisation have led to BAe removing it's ability to fabricate heavy armoured units and we do not even produce out own tank main gun ammunition any more off the back of government policy.  Both government AND BAe are just as wrong, just for different reasons.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 05:17:21 am by Foo Fighter »