Register here

Author Topic: Royal Navy Type 26 Frigate  (Read 53601 times)

Offline Grey Havoc

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
  • The path not taken.
Re: Royal Navy Type 26 Frigate
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2012, 09:07:33 am »
I could be wrong, but there doesn't seem to be any sign of a mission bay in this design?
The sole imperative of a government, once instituted, is to survive.

Offline hole in the ground

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2012, 12:28:23 pm »
From what I have been told, it is an integral part of the hangar

Offline Grey Havoc

• The path not taken.
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2012, 02:13:18 pm »
Interesting.

Offline Grey Havoc

• The path not taken.

Offline Harrier

• BAe P.1216 book: harrier.org.uk/P1216.htm
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2012, 02:05:41 am »
BBC report on MoD announcemnet of design:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19312378
BAe P.1216 Supersonic ASTOVL Aircraft: www.harrier.org.uk/P1216.htm

100 Years  - Camel, Hurricane, Harrier: www.kingstonaviation.org

Offline Harrier

• BAe P.1216 book: harrier.org.uk/P1216.htm
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2012, 05:18:45 am »
BAe P.1216 Supersonic ASTOVL Aircraft: www.harrier.org.uk/P1216.htm

100 Years  - Camel, Hurricane, Harrier: www.kingstonaviation.org

Offline TomS

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2012, 12:34:26 pm »
Two interesting features in these renders, to my eye:

1) The platforms sticking out at the aft end of the hangar are apparently there to give wider arcs of fire for the 30mm guns, which can shoot directly forward now.  They could not do so in more conventional midships installations.

2) The anchors are not recessed or concealed, making them rather large RCS reflectors.  That seems odd given all the covered openings and surface alignment seen in the superstructure. 

Offline Geoff_B

• The Scratchbuilding Demigod
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2012, 02:19:20 pm »
Two interesting features in these renders, to my eye:

1) The platforms sticking out at the aft end of the hangar are apparently there to give wider arcs of fire for the 30mm guns, which can shoot directly forward now.  They could not do so in more conventional midships installations.

2) The anchors are not recessed or concealed, making them rather large RCS reflectors.  That seems odd given all the covered openings and surface alignment seen in the superstructure.

Also not in the bridge wings are a pair of .50 cal HMG & miniguns, coupled with the 30mm guns and Phalanx make for an interesting availability of firepower against close range surface targets.

We'll have to see what happens with the anchors, i suspect its a CGI issue as the bows are enclosed and the anchors are not, thats probably one of the areas to be dealt with in the detailed design.

I would still like to know what those features are atop the funnel, abreast of the exhausts, some have said additional VLS launchers, others some form of filtered intake or exhaust.

Anyway i do like the look of the design, its just a shame it appear it will be 2020 before we see our first one

Offline TomS

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2012, 07:18:59 am »
I haven't seen a picture showing the exhaust stacks from above, but my guess would be either air intakes (gas turbine ships generally have large intake grills somewhere) or hard patches for engine removal (for maintenance).

No one would willingly put VLS right next to the exhausts -- too much stack gas corrosion and heat to deal with.

Offline RP1

• I see the truth in it.
    • RP1 dot net
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2012, 07:35:20 am »
Putting the intakes on the top of the funnel would cause re-ingestion of exhaust gasses. I'd expect them to be on the front or sides of deckhouses. In embiggened mode the BBC vid shows what look like a second CAMM VLS, which is a previously established feature of T26.

Exhausts show 2 small Diesel and 1 GT forward, 2 diesel aft. This would match with the CODLOG / CODLAG arrangement with a single MT-30 for boost described at a conference last year.

Regarding corrosion and hot gases - I suspect that these will be considered ameliorated by the detailed arrangement and the rarity of actually using the GT. Yes, I fully appreciate that only applies in peacetime.

Mission bay is in the superstructure. This is what we would call a good thing. Mostly.

RP1
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 07:37:51 am by RP1 »
"Just your standard-issue big gun."
- Batou, Ghost in the Shell

http://rp-one.net/

Offline TomS

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2012, 08:35:38 am »
The video on the BBC site didn't work for me, but I found what may be the same flyover here:

You're right, there's definitely a CAMM launcher nest up there.  So that's three sets of CAMM and one set of larger VLS (ASTER?)

And your comments on air inlets are dead on -- you can see what is probably such an inlet on the deckhouse in the photos. 

Offline RP1

• I see the truth in it.
    • RP1 dot net
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2012, 08:56:42 am »
That's the one - and the Youtube version is HD, thanks.

Larger VLS would be for some strike missile. Something looking like PAAMS-lite used to appear on FSC designs, but vanished in the cost reduction redesigns. For self defence against closing targets firing more CAMM is a valid option, and based on the old papers on the ADSM concept ASTER is pretty dependent on big fat MFR support.

There are some other minor things these views show - less countermeasures than I expected, just launchers for Sea Gnat / Siren and the SSTDS countermeasure projectors amidships.

Note lots of antennas. No integrated mast, at least on FoC.

Regarding anchors - at one point in the HD vid you can see them intersecting with the hull, so I'm pretty sure someone got lazy doing the CGI. I thought there was an align-to-normals function in 3DS?

I still don't understand why the Phalanx model is so bad. There are better ones on Turbosquid. I've got one they could have gratis.

And don't get me started on the lack of anti-aliasing.

RP1

« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 09:08:21 am by RP1 »

Offline TomS

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2012, 09:05:11 am »
I meant to say Sylver, and yes, those cells much be for strike missiles and maybe anti-ship weapons, since there are no visible SSM launchers shown.  (Of course, this would depend on there being any available VLS-compatible anti-ship missiles, which are still conspicuously absent from modern inventories.)

Offline RP1

• I see the truth in it.
    • RP1 dot net
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2012, 09:11:02 am »
I suspect the current plan WRT anti-ship weapons is to use helicopter launched FASGW(H). IIRC there was an Italian plan for an antiship IIR guided version of Vulcano, but I perhaps econopocalypse may have delayed that somewhat.

RP1

Offline JFC Fuller

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2012, 09:21:36 am »
Consensus is that the CGI video shows the following:

Strike length VLS x 24 forward
CAMM VLS x 24 forward and 24 in the funnel structure

An interesting question is what is going on with the space between the two forward CAMM launcher blocks behind the Phalanx.