BURNEY SATELLITE unbuilt projects

Interesting sketches! The huge amphibian resembled me our Soviet giant, the Kalinin K-7 ;) .
I would be grateful for any additional data about these projects.

Attachments

• k7-3.jpg
    k7-3.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 474
  • k7-1.gif
    k7-1.gif
    163 KB · Views: 487
The searchbar is there to help you Redstar.
Just put in - burney...

Thank you for the hint Lark!
So I found these data:
For Burney Amphibian:
Wingspan: 180 feet - 54.86 m (53 m for K-7)
Length: 125 feet - 38.1 m (K-7: 28 m)
Takeoff weight: 220 000 pounds - 99 660 kg (Yes, it would be really HEAVY aircraft!.. K-7 weighed only 40 tons, even XB-19 weighed 75 tons!)
Maximum speed: 240 mph - 386 km/h (looks too optimistic ;) )
Crew: 18
Flight endurance: 24 hours
Flight range: 5300 miles - about 8500 km

For Burney Satellite Fighter:
Wingspan: 17 feet - 5.18 m
Length: 26 feet - 7.925 m
Weight: 5300 pounds - 2400 kg
Maximum speed: 360 mph - 580 km/h

It's interesting what engines were planned to power the Amphibian...

Strange how the second drawing reminds me of the Planet Satellite, but I cannot find any connections.
See http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1947/1947%20-%201881.html and http://www.aviastar.org/air/england/planet_satellite.php

Malcolm

That suggestion just popped up again under the Planet Satellite :D

If anyone has access to the Nuffield College Library. Oxford, it holds the papers of F.A. Lindemann, Viscount Cherwell (CSAC 80/4/81). http://www.nuffield.ox.ac.uk/library/archives/Cherwell.pdf

Listed under Inventions and ideas, C. D. Burney is the following (p.156, pdf p.158 of 233):

G.447 Typescript, with accompanying diagrams and drawings describing proposals for the construction in U.S.A. of 'a large Amphibian Flying Boat, capable of carrying four "Satellite" planes, each capable of carrying its own 18" torpedo or one 1500 lb. "Diving Bomb"'. The typescript was originally contained in a plastic folder labelled 'Burney Amphibian and Satellites', n.d., c.early 1940. n.d.

There's also mention (G.446) of the "Toraplane (gliding torpedo) and Doravane (gliding bomb), October 1939-March 1940." [Sir Charles also submitted a design for a 'rocket bomb' sometime between 1940 and 1942.] Searching for Sir Charles Denniston Burney reveals no relevant patent. I suppose being wartime, no patent applications were made.

The Planet Satellite was designed by JND Heenan (of Heenan, Winn and Steel, London-based consulting engineers). Major Heenan and CJF Winn worked on gas turbines during WWII. As you said, no obvious connections between Heenan and Burney.

Apophenia said:
Searching for Sir Charles Denniston Burney reveals no relevant patent. I suppose being wartime, no patent applications were made.

They are there, applied for in 1939 and 1940 but not issued until after the war. Note: his middle name is Dennistoun

Apophenia said:
There's also mention (G.446) of the "Toraplane (gliding torpedo) and Doravane (gliding bomb), October 1939-March 1940." [Sir Charles also submitted a design for a 'rocket bomb' sometime between 1940 and 1942.] Searching for Sir Charles Denniston Burney reveals no relevant patent. I suppose being wartime, no patent applications were made.

Who asked for Burney's patents?

Here are:

* Doravane - the whole idea was not as much of gliding bomb, as for mechanical altimeter unit (the small paravane, hanged on wire beneath the aircraft), for use on both piloted planes and glide bombs.

* Diving Doravane - rather interesting idea of "automatically diving" glide bomb, which was supposed to give dive-bombing capabilities to level bombers. The idea was, that bomb, after being dropped, moved at quarter-circular vertical trajectory, under control of autopilot, until it would be falling vertically.

* Octaplane - basically the Toraplane with the torpedo replaced by influence or limpet mine.

* Toraplane - the torpedo glider, controlled by autopilot, for biplane torpedo bombers (like "Swordfish") to attack enemy ships from safe distances.

Attachments

• Tora1.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 34
  • Tora2.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • Tora3.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 14
  • Tora4.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 19