TSR2 - Britain's Lost Bomber - Damien Burke

Thanks for the plug Geoff. Here's the cover (the Amazon one is of an early version of the artwork). another masterpiece from Ronnie Olsthoorn:

tsr2britainslostbomber.jpg

On the secret projects front the first two chapters cover the beginning of the requirement, types suggested to satisfy it such as the various Scimitar developments, and the GOR.339 competition and submissions including 3-views of each (based on the brochure GAs but combining various drawings to give a more detailed view of each type). So while you may be familiar with most of the types included, there's more detail than previously published.

As for the TSR2 itself, for the first time there is detailed coverage of the complete design process, leading the reader on from the very first attempts at combining the P.17 and Type 571 to the final(ish) TSR2 design, then on to the build and flight test programme and taking in engine development on the way. There is also coverage of RAF service plans, the cancellation and reasons behind it (prepare for some surprises), and a complete chapter on unbuilt versions of the TSR2 - none of which has appeared in print before to the best of my knowledge. You're gonna love the fighter version...

The book is the product of several years of research, and unprecedented access to BAE Systems archive material at Warton, Weybridge and Farnborough. Lots of previously unpublished photos to go along with the diagrams too. It's a big book - the page count of 336 on Amazon is actually a bit on the low side. Hope it gets a good reception when it's out!

Congrats .... & I immediately pre-ordered one !!!

Deino

Thanks guys - was briefly at #1 in the aviation history sales on Amazon (now at #2, beaten by the Vulcan Haynes manual) so those pre-orders are obviously healthy!

All indications are this book will be truly excellent.

Roll on October and my birthday Amazon vouchers :)

DamienB said:
Thanks for the plug Geoff. Here's the cover (the Amazon one is of an early version of the artwork). another masterpiece from Ronnie Olsthoorn:

tsr2britainslostbomber.jpg

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: I love it...

1Saludo

It's showing a Jan. 15 release date here in the US. I'll most certainly order/

DamienB said:
At least three - illustrations for two of them are in the book.

Hardly unsurprising, throughout the project the US kept pointing out that swing-wing was the way of the future and Barnes Wallis (on George Edwards, MD of BAC, team) both proposed the use of variable geometry at the outset of the programme and continued to advocate its use even after the ideas formal rejection for the type.

Put this on my 'list'. However, does anyone know if there are drawings of the proposed early eighties revival ('Tornado - style' intakes etc.)?

i think there were some drawings on here of the upgraded TSR.2-2, a university 'thought process' and not a serious proposal to relaunch the TSR.2

TsrJoe said:
i think there were some drawings on here of the upgraded TSR.2-2, a university 'thought process' and not a serious proposal to relaunch the TSR.2
Is it true that Margaret Thatcher briefly considered the 80's TSR-2, and if so, would it (not) have taken Tornado's place?

shedofdread said:
Put this on my 'list'. However, does anyone know if there are drawings of the proposed early eighties revival ('Tornado - style' intakes etc.)?

No drawings were ever made up of this; I could have knocked some up based on the textual description but frankly that would have been treating the idea with far more seriousness than it merited.

Hammer Birchgrove said:
Is it true that Margaret Thatcher briefly considered the 80's TSR-2, and if so, would it (not) have taken Tornado's place?

No, but the actual - hilarious - story behind this urban myth is detailed in my book.

DamienB said:
shedofdread said:

No drawings were ever made up of this; I could have knocked some up based on the textual description but frankly that would have been treating the idea with far more seriousness than it merited.

Don't underestimate the esoteric interests of fanboys. :p

Hammer Birchgrove said:

No, but the actual - hilarious - story behind this urban myth is detailed in my book.

Another minus point for Wikipedia. :mad: It's great that you unveiled the mystery though. :)

While it's great when urban legends are debunked, I feel a bit sad now. Completely irrational, but still. I have a plan for an Alternative History in which Saab 37 Viggen got the Bristol Olympus engine (same as in TSR-2) instead of the Pratt & Whitney JT8D. This was suggested in OTL, but my twist would be that the fighter-Viggen, and the improved strike-Viggen which was proposed as a stop-gap until JAS 39 Gripen, would have the Concorde-Olympus suggested for the 1980's TSR-2-2. I guess I could still run with it, but it feels less believable now. :-\

TsrJoe said:
iv tried changing Wiki on a number of occasions re TSR.2 but it always goes back to the same inaccurate c... after a day or so !
Damn how annoying!

I think these articles are wrong too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Gyron

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_P.1121

Other sources claim that the Hawker P.1121 (developed from the P.1103 which was the F.155 entry, which would indeed have either a DH Gyron, RR Thames or Orenda Iroquois jet engine), was to be a strike fighter and the DH Gyron was meant for high altitude, supersonic aircrafts. ???

I know a music fan who "had" to change an article about Luther Vandross over and over again, but finally won (?). Someone didn't like to read that Vandross was into guys... ::)

A week ago or so, I was into a heated debate over Stalin's purges, and I remembered reading that Igor Kurchatov, "Father of the Soviet Atomic Bomb", was a closet homosexual. So I checked the Wikipedia article I knew I had read before, and that statement is gone! So without further research I won't know if that was right or wrong.

Same here Joe - incredibly they view 'original research' as unfounded nonsense, and nothing is 'true' until it's been printed in a book.

You could publish a book that says that the TSR2 was made of cheese and was to be based on the Moon, and Wiki would incorporate that without a moment's further thought. Edit the article to point out a few facts, though, and down comes the wrath of a few article guardians intent on keeping the status quo.

DamienB said:
Same here Joe - incredibly they view 'original research' as unfounded nonsense, and nothing is 'true' until it's been printed in a book.

You could publish a book that says that the TSR2 was made of cheese and was to be based on the Moon, and Wiki would incorporate that without a moment's further thought. Edit the article to point out a few facts, though, and down comes the wrath of a few article guardians intent on keeping the status quo.
What's even more weird is that a person mentioned in an article can't use him- or herself as a source when correcting it.

Now that your book is out, maybe someone can falsify the urban legend.

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm afraid I can't remember where I heard about the update plan but I'm fairly sure it wasn't via Wikipedia.

S

DamienB said:
Edit the article to point out a few facts, though, and down comes the wrath of a few article guardians intent on keeping the status quo.
Strange... Probably depends on who "owns" an article? I once changed the article about the Kawanishi Baika cause it contained mistakes and my changes were never reverted.

Crowood have confirmed a publication date of 25th October.

My advance copy has arrived - turns out there is a bonus feature. It's heavy enough that you can use it to batter people to death with...

http://www.crowood.com/details.asp?isbn=9781847972118&t=TSR2-Britain's-Lost-Bomber

ISBN: 9781847972118
PUBLISHED: 21/10/2010
PAGES: 352
BINDING: hardback
SIZE: 280x220 mm
INSIDE: 215 colour photographs 232 black & white photographs

More than forty years after its cancellation, the BAC TSR2 is still a controversial aircraft. Years ahead of its time, it was abruptly cancelled by a new government when flight testing had ony just begun. Built to a demanding RAF requirement , the BAC TSR2 was a revolutionary low-level strike aircraft able to deliver a tactical nuclear weapon at supersonic speed and low altitude to evade enemy radar. This fascinating new book describes in detail the aircraft, its history and the events of its cancellation. Many hitherto unseen photographs and diagrams support the detailed text, which benefits from extensive research in the BAC archives and access to newly rediscovered material.

Topics covered:
Background to the requirement, and competing designs
Development and production
The flight-testing programme
The full story of the cancellation and its aftermath
Unbuilt variants
Detailed specifications

DamienB said:
Crowood beating Amazon's price, love it.

Nope; here in the U.S. of A. at least, the Amazon price is substantially lower (if I did the conversions right)

A chapter breakdown may be of interest...

Chapter 1 - Beginnings - covers the initial thoughts about replacing the Canberra, and the aircraft suggested as a possible replacement - namely Blackburn B.103(A) (Buccaneer), de Havilland developed Sea Vixen, English Electric P.18, Vickers developed Scimitar, Hawker P.1121, Folland Light Bomber. All but the P.18 with three views and various other illustrations.

Chapter 2 - Submissions to GOR.339 - covers the actual GOR.339 'competition' submissions - Avro Type 739, Vickers Swallow momentum bomber, Blackburn B.108 (developed Buccaneer), Bristol Type 204, de Havilland GOR.339, English Electric P.17 family (14 pages worth), Fairey Project 75, Gloster P.384 thin wing Javelin, Handley Page GOR.339, Hawker P.1121 Stage B and P.1129, Hawker-Siddeley P.1129 development and the Vickers Type 571 (6 pages). Plus details of the evaluation process, choosing the winners, etc. Again each aircraft has detailed three-views and other illustrations.

Chapter 3 - Designing TSR2 - covers the design process that brought the VA Type 571 and EE P.17 together to form the final TSR2 design, with 3-views of each significant step along the way and lots of wind tunnel and other model shots.

Chapter 4 - Building TSR2 - covers the manufacture of the aircraft, with detailed production sequence diagram, details of the problems run into along the way, lots of photos of the various stages in production - many previously unpublished. Also revision of the spec in the final months.

Chapter 5 - Flight Test Development - covers the flight test programme, including the real story behind the choice of Boscombe Down (differs somewhat from the usual one), taxiing trialsm XR220's accident on arrival (again a subtly different story to previous accounts), a fairly detailed run-down of each flight and the problems experienced; undercarriage problems, handling characteristics and a flight log. Lots and lots of photos of XR219 and XR220, mostly previously unpublished including some tasty colour air to air shots and - for the first time I believe - photos of XR219's rather basic cockpits.

Chapter 6 - The Aircraft - describes the TSR2 in detail from nose to tail and everything in between including refuelling probe, buddy refuelling pack, drop tanks, ejection seat development etc. with lots of detail photos of the aircraft (either as preserved or being built), diagrams from the maintenance manuals and other BAC documentation. Includes colour cockpit photos and diagrams of how the cockpit was going to look on production aircraft.

Chapter 7 - The Engine - a detailed look at the engine choice arguments, development of the Olympus 320 and associated systems, engine test failures, the Vulcan flying test bed, problems with the physical engine installation and accessories bay, flying the engine and the huge risks taken on flight 1. Again lots of photos and diagrams.

Chapter 8 - Electronic Systems - covers all of the major systems on the aircraft; stable platform, doppler, side-looking radar, central computer, automatic flight control system, terrain following radar, head-up display, recce pack, linescan, recce radar, cameras, missile warning system, chaff & flare dispensers, etc. Lots of previously unpublished material.

Chapter 9 - Weapons - accuracy, delivery methods, attack profiles, the nuclear strike role - Red Beard and subsequent weapons up to WE177, conventional strike, Bullpup, AS.30, Tychon, Martel... lots of pics again, and a few unpublished shots.

Chapter 10 - RAF Service - a look at how it was intended to enter service and the initial squadron make-ups. Brief intro to the TSR2 dual trainer, details of the Lightning TSR2 trainer proposal and Hunter lead-in training. Operational plans, overseas training, a bit on paint schemes including some excellent profile artwork from Ronnie Olsthoorn; ground support equipment.

Chapter 11 - Cancellation. A rather different story to the one you are used to reading. Lots of the same ingredients but cooked in a different way! Australian sale efforts and other export customers; the RAF losing faith; final cost saving efforts; the actual cancellation, attempts to keep the aircraft flying, and the aftermath. The story behind the 'everything must be destroyed' myth. Surviving airframes and current whereabouts. The 1970s/80s plan to resurrect the aircraft. Alternatives to TSR2 - P.28 (mod) Canberra, Spey Mirage IVA, AFVG and conclusion. Piccies of XR221 nearly completed and XR225 at various stages of the construction and scrapping process as well as of course XR219, XR220 and XR222, many previously unpublished.

Chapter 12 - Unbuilt versions - Whiffer heaven - STOL version, VTOL versions including baby TSR2, swing-wing versions including how the Americans took the idea and ran with it, TSR2 in the strategic role - Blue Water, glide rockets, ballistic missiles with Polaris heads, overload fuel, Grand Slam missile, enlarged wing designs, a detailed look at the Type 595 Trainer version, the fighter versions. Again lots of 3-views and other diagrams.

Appendix I - complete text of GOR.339
Appendix II - complete text of OR.343
Appendix III - flight reference cards

Finishes off with some more of Ronnie's colour profiles covering XR219 to XR222 inclusive and a comprehensive index.

Barrington Bond said:
See this now has a release date of 27/10/10 - is it going to get pushed back anymore?!

Chiz,
Barry

So far in the US, still holding as Jan 15, 2011. Hope it stays!

I spoke to Crowood earlier today, having expected some books to have arrived by now and they said the wholesalers are getting them in on Monday and hopefully dispatching them to retailers same day, so the publication date has shifted from 25th to 27th as a result. Hopefully no more delays now!

Who is your distributor Damien? TBS? LBS? Macmillan Distribution? Bookpoint? Marston?

I'd recommend your agent should get onto your publisher's case about this......

Terry (Caravellarella)

Re: TSR2 - Britain's Lost Bomber - Damien Burke - buy it NOW!

Buy a signed copy and help raise money for charity too.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TSR2-Britains-Lost-Bomber-NEW-book-author-signed-/250715715306?pt=Non_Fiction&hash=item3a5fd236ea#ht_3056wt_1141

Attachments

• cover-600-ebay.jpg
    cover-600-ebay.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 190
  • ebay-pages-1.jpg
    ebay-pages-1.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 208
  • ebay-pages-2.jpg
    ebay-pages-2.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 201
  • ebay-pages-3.jpg
    ebay-pages-3.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 147
  • ebay-pages-4.jpg
    ebay-pages-4.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 109
  • ebay-pages-5.jpg
    ebay-pages-5.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 53
  • ebay-pages-6.jpg
    ebay-pages-6.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 54
  • ebay-pages-7.jpg
    ebay-pages-7.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 63
Re: TSR2 - Britain's Lost Bomber - Damien Burke - buy it NOW!

1 more.

Attachments

• ebay-pages-8.jpg
    ebay-pages-8.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 67
just purchased a copy through evilbay, sooo looking forward to this one, theres a shot on that last page you posted there i hadnt seen previously too, cool

cheers, Joe