Grey Havoc

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score

Note that the designation of the second ship in the class (nicknamed the 'Monster' by those who have had the misfortune of encountering it) class seems to have recently changed from CCG 3901 to CCG 5901.

One tool China has frequently used to enforce its claims near Vietnam is the CCG 5901, a coast guard vessel based out of Hainan Island that is better known as the “Monster.”

Bigger than a US Navy destroyer, the Monster is a 12,000-ton patrol vessel armed with anti-aircraft guns and fuel storage capacities enabling it to undertake extended missions. It regularly sails in and around the energy-rich waters Vietnam has spent years trying to develop. The Monster is just one of the vessels China uses to enforce its claims, and the kind of ship smaller Southeast Asian nations can’t compete with.

Note that the designation of the second ship in the class (nicknamed the 'Monster' by those who have had the misfortune of encountering it) class seems to have recently changed from CCG 3901 to CCG 5901.

I’ve always wondered if the Chinese Coast Guard had plans to take on roles from their navy, such as the anti-pirate patrols off the Horn of Africa or other distant waters missions. After all, a nominally “civilian” coast guard vessel is more likely to be allowed into ports to refuel than a naval vessel. Essentially, a 12,000 ton OPV is a lot more economical than maintaining a pair of destroyers/frigates and a replenishment tanker on station. A big patrol ship is also a more nuanced way of “showing the flag,” which has to be a consideration with China’s immense trade and unparalleled merchant marine and fishing fleet.

Of course, these coast guard “cruisers” don’t seem to leave the South China Sea, so maybe ambition fell afoul of inter-service rivalries or shifting policies? If I had to guess, the Chinese navy probably values those patrols of the Horn Of Africa as distant waters operational training and for all I know it might be a major career stepping stone for the officers involved.