The US Space Force

USA-193 was in an elliptical orbit with an apogee of 2,700km for instance.

No, it wasn't. As I pointed out, UAS-193 was in a nearly circular and low orbit around 350 km from the outset. The 2700 km apogee figure for Burnt Frost is the max alt that some debris was lofted to after the impact.

Space Force officials have characterized their responsibilities for the GMTI satellites — and, eventually, other moving target indicator satellites (MTI) designed to track airborne targets — as simply an extension to the heavens of the Air Force’s US Code Title 10 role in JSTARS. Title 10 governs military roles and missions, whereas Title 50 governs those of intelligence agencies. That said, there long has been a gray zone between the two.

“JSTARS was the air model, providing situational awareness to the combatant commanders from the air. What we’re doing is taking that air vision and elevating it into space, so it is no different,” Gen. Michael Guetlein, Space Force vice chief, told the annual McAleese Defense Conference on March 7. “From a Title 10 perspective, we have the exact same responsibilities to provide situational awareness to the battle commander on tactically relevant timelines.”

No, it wasn't. As I pointed out, UAS-193 was in a nearly circular and low orbit around 350 km from the outset. The 2700 km apogee figure for Burnt Frost is the max alt that some debris was lofted to after the impact.
It doesn't make sense to quote the altitude the debris reached, but yeah, I see that's what the stupid report is doing alright. I interpreted that as an elliptical orbit. Nevertheless, the point still holds. Some recon satellites are on elliptical orbits and even dip below 100km*, most on geocentric orbits would orbit very low like USA-193.

*https://pubs.aip.org/physicstoday/a...re-does-outer-space-begin-As-suborbital-space

SM-3 IIA however has the potential to reach almost any LEO orbit and 24 of them have been produced every year since introduction.

I cannot think of a single satellite that I remember having a perigee below 300km. Can you provide an example?

I cannot think of a single satellite that I remember having a perigee below 300km. Can you provide an example?
Well, we're going off on a strawman here really, because 250km is not the maximum intercept altitude of any variant of SM-3, IA, IB or IIA, nor was it the intended altitude of USA-193, which was circa 350km, still well inside any SM-3 variant's intercept ceiling. But anyway:

Last edited:

Last edited:

Last edited:
Fair disclosure: working on an article I will submit to publications, so if you do not want to give up sources and means, no need to respond.

The questions are broadly concerning satellite EW possibilities.

Are modern UHF satellites AESA based at this point? For instance, what does something like Starlink use? As such, presumably they have some frequency agility? If so, could a communications satellite in LEO potentially be used to jam a particular receiver on the surface? Alternatively, could a purpose built satellite achieve this if a communications satellite could not? Would a satellite with a passive array facing away from earth and an active array facing down be able to detect a downlink and project a jamming signal on a reciprocal bearing in realtime like an aircraft’s RF digital memory jammer?

L band question; do satellite navigation signals have any overlap or near overlap with Link 16 bandwidth?

Last edited: