Sierra Nevada Survivable Airborne Operations Center - E-4B replacement

RavenOne

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
For some bizarre reason when I was going to say Sierra Nevada has the answers, was thinking of the Smarties commerical of the 80s Only smarties have the answer” lol.

Anyhow interesting decision and article

Cheers

Last edited:
The Air Force said Sierra Nevada will build SAOC out of a hardened and modified version of a commercial derivative aircraft. And it will use a modular open system approach to include modern secure communication and planning capabilities.
I suspect that that will be easier said than done.

Attachments

• 20240427_Sierra Nevada Corporation_Survivable_Airborne_Operations_Center_Contract_1.jpg
    20240427_Sierra Nevada Corporation_Survivable_Airborne_Operations_Center_Contract_1.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 48
I am also very sceptical about this future Survivable Airborne Operations Center (SAOC), based on a Boeing 747-8.
Source:
I have the same opinion, I think it will be based on some variant of the 777 instead of the 747-8

I have the same opinion, I think it will be based on some variant of the 777 instead of the 747-8

The solicitation apparently specified four engines. That doesn't leave a lot of options and A340s are too old, so 747-800 is pretty much the only option.

But are there 12 low-mileage 737-800s out there?

I think it's just 8-10, and probably yes. I would expect that they have identified specific airframes as part of their bid, because otherwise that would be very high risk. At least one source says that they are taking the Korean Air 747-8i fleet, which is slated to be retired in a few years anyway.

View: https://twitter.com/avgeekjake/status/1784436715496870119

I suspect that that will be easier said than done.
One advantage of buying the KAL 747-8is is they will have been through at least one major phase check, so no rude surprises like the mini-bottles on AF1-to-be (and all the re-inspections around where they were found causing delays and stupid amounts of money).

There probably will be some major repairs to happen on the cargo deck stringers, those get beat to hell on planes. But when you're doing a total rebuild like this, you can just replace the entire damaged floor stringer instead of cutting and splicing in new sections. Pretty sure Boeing uses the same extruded cargo floor stringers on everything. 727 and 737s did, so I'd expect 707s and 757s as well. 747 and 767 have a wider cargo bay but the same floor loading, so it makes sense to use the same stringers at the same spacing. I'd assume 777s are the same way, but those were just entering service when I was working on planes so I never saw the insides.

Sierra Nevada Corporation (SNC) released more concept images of the Survivable Airborne Operations Center (SAOC).
IMHO, just wait and see, where the real SAOC and the VC-25B will have the refueling receptacle and other features.
Link:

Attachments

• SAOC-E4-side.jpg
    SAOC-E4-side.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 11
  • SNC-E-4-copy.jpg
    SNC-E-4-copy.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 11