Safineh-class guided-missile destroyer project

F.L.

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
There is no thread on this Iranian Navy project yet.
SAFINEH-2F-new-scaled.jpg
This thread is in no way intended for those who want to spit their venom at Iran, its army or government !

Is there any further information on those VLS cells? Based on the Sayad and the RIM-66, I would presume it is a hot-launch system and given the lack of obvious venting I presume it would use a concentric exhaust system to facilitate this. In this way it would likely be similar to the Chinese VLS system though I'd be interested in the exact dimensions of it.

The width of the VLS cells on the diagram is to small for a Standard missile. They would fit just Hellfire ou CAMM sized missiles.

That's also 96 VLS cells on something with the displacement of a littoral combat ship.

I just had a look for any info on the radar, according to this page, the Cheshm Oghab/Eagle Eye can track targets with a radar cross section as small as 4m2 (nb, no missing zeroes or decimal points in front of that 4).

Well, she looks like a coastal design, so it's not entirely impossible - especially if only relatively small missiles (ESSM size, for example) are used.
None of the missiles displayed are particularly small in diameter. A width similar to a MK-41 cell would be expected (22-26 inches or somewhere around 55-65 cm) if the claims are accurate. It wouldn’t be impossible to fit such cells in but it would be difficult.

Now deck penetration could be another matter. A few or many of those cells (particularly near the edge) could be shortened for more limited use.

Picking up on both the 'coastal' and 'deck penetration' points, I think she has to be coastal, there seems to be very little space left for the crew. Forget everything forward of the bridge, it's stuffed with weapons, forget the superstructure, that's got the hangar, the bridge, and presumably the combat systems below the bridge. Engines below the helideck, that leaves the area under the superstructure for crew and related amenities like messing, sick bay, and possibly the CIC.

None of the missiles displayed are particularly small in diameter. A width similar to a MK-41 cell would be expected (22-26 inches or somewhere around 55-65 cm) if the claims are accurate. It wouldn’t be impossible to fit such cells in but it would be difficult.

Now deck penetration could be another matter. A few or many of those cells (particularly near the edge) could be shortened for more limited use.
I don't think so, there's 3 decks worth of depth where they are placed.