Re-equipping RAF Transport Command

uk 75

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
The third aircraft in the trio of projects axed in 1965 the AW681 transport is usually seen as a "no-brainer" cancellation since the C130 Hercules became such an essential part of the RAF inventory.
But with some tweaks to the design (losing the vectored thrust) it could have given the RAF a decent jet airlifter and might even have persuaded others to buy it. Japan made the outwardly similar but smaller Kawasaki C1 work.
The RAF took much longer than the USAF or some European air forces to equip Transport Command.
In 1960 its line up of Hastings, Beverley, Argosy, Britannia and Comet aircraft was in clear need of replacing.
Both the Transall C160 and the C13O were rejected because the RAF needed shorter take offs and landings and faster transit times.
Meanwhile the long gestation for a UK equivalent of the US Cargomaster and Globemaster transports had yielded not a C141 but the Belfast. To its credit the Belfast could take bulkier loads but it was a slow old bird.
Most successful of the new types adopted in the 60s was the VC10. Arguably more of these should have been ordered and built.
The Argosy was another British anachronism entering service after the Fairchild Packet and the Nord Noratlas. It joins a list of "why did we buy it" projects.
The RAF was also responsible for providing the Army with helicopter lift.
Instead of the Piasecki Banana adopted by other European countries the UK built the Bristol later Westland Belvedere.
Good use was made of Sikorsky licences to produce the Whirlwind and Wessex. The Mohave nearly followed but by then the Chinook was being looked at by both the RN and RAF.
The Chinook took decades to make it into RAF service, getting cancelled twice! Like the C130 it became a key RAF type.
I have to admit that the US types seem better value than the UK homegrown stuff, except the VC10 and the Andover. But as with my other threads I welcome other views and information.

You need to read On Atlas' Shoulders.

Chris
I have and it is excellent. I thought it would still be interesting to tease out thoughts and info as I have done with other threads.

A VC10 / Belfast / Transall mix IMHO would have been a most practical combination, especially if the Belfast was ordered in a quantity of 20 or so and fitted with the Transall's engines and prop as planned and accommodated. Not a lot of loads that couldn't be moved anywhere with that mix and could have served into the 90s.

The RAF Herk fell into the awkward spot of not being strategic enough but also not truly rough-field tactical.

The flirtation with ordering a handful of C-5s in the early 1970s would have been outstanding for Op CORPORATE in 1982 but would also probably have bankrupted the service when the wings cracked...

Re: Argosy, it was less effective than the Herk but was beloved as a paradropping platform, very benign airstream. The Herk in contrast gives paratroops a battering on exit.

I find the RAFs actions baffling with transport aircraft more than anything. Why did they go HS681 and C130 when they had the AW660 series 220 and Shorts Belfast available?

The Argosy was another British anachronism entering service after the Fairchild Packet and the Nord Noratlas. It joins a list of "why did we buy it" projects.
Re: Argosy, it was less effective than the Herk but was beloved as a paradropping platform, very benign airstream. The Herk in contrast gives paratroops a battering on exit.

A bit like Kiltonge and RoC, I’m a bit puzzled about the Argosy distain. I’ve never come across any statements about major issues with it, and it was equipped with modern, and widely-supported turboprops.

Why did the RAF not want to make more use of it? Perhaps having 4 engines to maintain instead of two bigger ones? Perhaps they wanted to carry a wider range of equipment that the Argosy could not carry? Perhaps they wanted a new shiny toy?

I think it was all about the NBMR4 STOL transport linked to the NBMR3 VTOL fighter. Since the Fighter was ridiculous it produced a transport that was ridiculous as well.

The RAF Herk fell into the awkward spot of not being strategic enough but also not truly rough-field tactical.
Say what now?!?

And by not strategic enough, do you mean "Too short ranged" or "too slow"

I find the RAFs actions baffling with transport aircraft more than anything. Why did they go HS681 and C130 when they had the AW660 series 220 and Shorts Belfast available?
I refer you to the answer I gave earlier.

Chris

Also, from memory, the Air Staff did look at ordering more Argosies instead of Andovers but by then the production line was coming to an end and it would have cost more having to reopen the line.

I suppose in AH world you could say, why didn't AW just splice in some plugs to deepen and widen the fuselage? I suspect though that four Darts was too puny for growth, four Tynes would be better but now your just adding costs with all the changes.

Nobody ever bettered the Herk, except for Mr Antonov. I reckon LM will probably still be building them in 20 years time.

Say what now?!?

And by not strategic enough, do you mean "Too short ranged" or "too slow"

Re: tactical, Herk was never designed as rough field. It needs a CBR of at least 29, flat gravel.

Re: strategic, decent range but cant accommodate the sort of loads that strat airlift needs.