New North Korean ballistic missiles

I don't know why the quote is in a different thread from where I posted, but still...
These are the differences I see:View attachment 704748
The HGV shown recently is more reminiscent of a wing-body configuration, unlike the wedge shape of the Hwasong-8.
Granted, payload and guidance system might still be the same, but the aerodynamic differences are significant enough to consider it a new platform in my opinion.

It is worth noting that the model written on the display board is not Hwasong-8 but Hwasong-12B (12 나)
53cfa7a772a46d68~2.jpg

I don't know why the quote is in a different thread from where I posted, but still...
I've moved the reply to this thread since this thread is more fitting than the drone thread.

These are the differences I see:View attachment 704748
The HGV shown recently is more reminiscent of a wing-body configuration, unlike the wedge shape of the Hwasong-8.
Granted, payload and guidance system might still be the same, but the aerodynamic differences are significant enough to consider it a new platform in my opinion.
It is worth noting that the model written on the display board is not Hwasong-8 but Hwasong-12B (12 나)
View attachment 704749
Oh, you're right. I haven't noticed that designation there. Though the lineage wouldn't be completely separate from one another I feel.

How come DPRK seems to have a copy of everything China has?
When you start studying them, you soon encounter a few interesting details:

1, despite the "evident" and ever-present expectations of China, there are very few Chinese connections. Chips (a way to slip by sanctions - and by no means the only one) and some heavy-duty carrier vehicles ... and that's most of it. Same with Russia(almost zero for many decades).
That North Korea does - it does either by itself (developing its own/self-obtained Soviet legacy), or with...

2, Iran. Iran can be found everywhere in DPRK military systems, and wise versa; moreover, it's to the point of visible cooperation and specialization of sorts. DPRK is tending to take more of heavy industry part of the spectrum, being much closer to an old-style industrial nation than Iran.

3, DPRK doesn't copy China all that much. What they do is they to their best ability counter/match(or overmatch where they can) ROK military in their eternal arms race. With....mixed results, but few nations do as well as them when economic disparity is this crushing - you have to give them that.

The same situation as with everyone - when they're sure what they're doing - they create their own systems. Where they aren't - they copy that works (recent totally not MQ-4/9 are a perfect example, copied to the last external curve).
Sometimes systems from both groups compete with each other.

4, With missiles/space specifically they simply aim for what they can - i.e. ground and sea-based deterrent, as well as tactical weapons.
No large surface vessels - it's utterly pointless, no big airspace - it's utterly unaffordable.

5, NK is quite capable in engineering terms. Ultimately, they have quite a lot of working development groups, supported by a significant education base.
Brain drain isn't a big problem for them(go try), there is a consistent state interest in explosive/flying stuff, and NK state can easily provide their engineers with conditions/prestige to make it a highly desirable career path. Prestige is a relative thing, after all, relative to people around.

Not bad i think the Israelis did something like that on a smaller scale with extended sails on their newest Submarines. The North Koreans seem to be advancing shockingly fast this days, Solid fuel ICBMs and now SLBMs.

Here are the alleged differences.

View attachment 715932

According to Jeffrey Lewis these differences are relatively significant, at least to the point where it shows that the Hwasong 11 isn't just a straight reverse-engineered copy of the Iskander:

-Igniter access port on the Hwasong 11 has 20 evenly spaced bolts whereas Iskander has 18 bolts in 6 groups of 3.

-Hwasong 11 also has different pattern fastening points on the edge of the casing at the top of the motor.

-The housing for jet vane actuators of the Hwasong 11 are boxy and trapezoidal, whereas those of the Iskander are rounded.

-The Hwasong 11 has no ports for penaids unlike Iskander.

CAR documenting a north korean missile in ukraine
https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/3a4e9d713f59426d9d1ea3881abecbf3

This looks very interesting,we finally get to see some of the differences between the iskander and its dprk look-a-like.
Now if only they`d do one for the iskander and the rok hyunmoo as well,then we could see all of the differences and similarities [if any] between all 3.
Hey,dreams are free.:D

Last edited:
View: https://twitter.com/astraiaintel/status/1755222346158182905?s=20

Russia hit only two military targets upon firing 24 North Korean ballistic missiles at Ukraine in recent weeks, Ukraine's top prosecutor said on Friday, casting doubt on the reliability of Pyongyang's much-feared, but little-known weaponry.

Last edited:
Russia hit only two military targets upon firing 24 North Korean ballistic missiles at Ukraine in recent weeks, Ukraine's top prosecutor said on Friday, casting doubt on the reliability of Pyongyang's much-feared, but little-known weaponry.
This is just as true as Ukraine intercepting majority of missiles/drones as they were asserting several months ago. A fairytale.

This is just as true as Ukraine intercepting majority of missiles/drones as they were asserting several months ago. A fairytale.
If nearly 100 missiles and drones are fired, shooting down a majority can still mean that nearly 50 get through. From what I see on liveuamap, even when >90 missiles are fired at Kyiv, less than 5 ground explosions are registered. The fairytale was the 'unstoppable missiles'.

If nearly 100 missiles and drones are fired, shooting down a majority can still mean that nearly 50 get through. From what I see on liveuamap, even when >90 missiles are fired at Kyiv, less than 5 ground explosions are registered. The fairytale was the 'unstoppable missiles'.
I see you are unaware of censorship.

Last edited:
Censorship would imply the ground explosions not being registered on-line.
That is the case.
You sure it's not the other way around?
It's on both sides. Cease and desist from deflections.
How ironic, and kinda hilarious, the west was/is always screaming and shouting how Russia and China is supposedly sending DPRK all kinds of stuff for their missiles etc, when it was themselves all along. Presumably such western components would conceivably be found in DPRK nuclear ICBMs an the like, even more ironic.
Market globalization doing it's things.