New Book: "Legendary Aircraft Il-86" - By Konstantin Udalov (Ucon)

gabrielorosco

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Hello to all!

Today I received a copy of the newest book written by our friend, Mr. Konstantin Udalov, known as “Ucon” here in the forum. The book “Legendary Aircraft Il-86” is a new approach towards an aircraft of great historical importance, for the world and even more for the aviation industry of the Soviet Union, establishing the ground for future developments of large airliners in the new Russian Industry.

The book has 308 pages and is undoubtedly the definitive guide for the Ilyushin 86, with never seen before information and images. You will find literally all liveries ever used by this aircraft, including detailed 3D models of all variants and profile drawings.

The first part of the book is dedicated to the historical background in the USSR related with the necessity of new developments in the field of domestic aviation. Although in the western world, mostly in the US, the demand for larger passenger aircraft started to grow during the 60’s, in the Soviet Union such process started a bit later, during the 80’s.

Considering that in the beginning of the 80’s such aircraft needed to be available, the order for development for a new large airliner capable of providing support for the economic development of the country was given in 1976, with a very interesting phase of design. The book describes the very early studies, providing some surprises in the aircraft development. Variants ranging from double-deck trijets up to double deck versions of the Ilyushin 76 cargo aircraft are just some of the surprises to be found inside.

The book continues covering the aircraft history and the public relevance of such a feat, including a complete panorama of the media coverage at the time, reinforcing the idea of the importance of such aircraft for the future of the country. The Il-86 proudly holds the title of being the first wide-body jet airliner developed by the Soviet Union, providing a new age of aviation.

After a complete description of the Il-86 in commercial operations with many airlines, a special part of the book is dedicated to a special military version of this aircraft, the so called “doomsday aircraft”. I don’t want to give spoilers, but I can safely say that this part was my favorite one. The idea of an aircraft being used as the ultimate place to control weapons of last resort really gives an insight of how serious things could become, and most importantly, the size of responsibility carried by this aircraft’s wings.

At the end, a full collection of safety cards used by soviet companies is provided, making such book more than a “simple” book, but also a collector’s album. I highly recommend this book for anyone interested in the history of aviation, it is a clear example of how each aircraft has its own personality and has an exciting history to be discovered, adding a new chapter in the aircraft development in the USSR and Russia.

I wish everyone a nice reading!

Warm regards,

Gabriel Orosco

Attachments

• Il-86 cover.jpg
    Il-86 cover.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 111
Wasn't there an IL-86 variant that was the Russian equivalent of "Air Force One"? I remember seeing it when he came to Waco to visit George W. Bush. As I recall, the IL-86 was quite pristine but the IL-62M's that carried staff, and I assume news media, definitely looked well-used.

Attachments

• Ильюшин_Ил-86ВКП.jpg
    Ильюшин_Ил-86ВКП.jpg
    851.3 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
My first flight to Russia was on an IL-86 (edit: eh, no it was a 96) and had yet to come across the (tradition?) of applauding the pilot with a succesful landing.
I'll have to dig out my pictures of that corner of Chkalovsky (some attached, with a bonus '76)

Attachments

• vkp.png
    vkp.png
    629.5 KB · Views: 60
  • other_one.png
    other_one.png
    738.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 76 too.png
    76 too.png
    570.2 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Love the Il-86! Will this book be available in the UK?

Terry (Caravellarella)

Well-known aviationhistorian Konstantin Udalov gears up with his truly amazing book series "Aeroplane Legends" ["САМОЛЕТ-ЛЕГЕНДА "], this time about the passenger airliner Ilyushin IL-86. Here Udalov teams up with Marek Rys again.

Udalovs deep insights into the embedded evolution of this airliner into the soviet aviationindustrie is truly amazing and worth reading (and seeing). In more than 300 pages the evolution, design, production, testing and implemetation of the IL-86 into service at the start of the 1980s are described. When the Soviet Union collapsed it became tough times for this plane. Otherwise it would have competed against Airbus and Boeing. Marek Rys provides dozens of beautiful renderings of Aeroflot and other airlines. There is a whole chapter about the flying commandopost version VKP (pp. 196-223). Other chapters are about planned and realised versions such as the salon variant (pp. 36-71); but also about record flights and catatrophys (pp. 187-190; 190-196) The book is rounded up with a technical description (pp. 292-305) and an overview of the reception of this plane in the international community, press, media (incl. stamps) and commercial. Truly fascinating stuff. I second gabriels conclusion here: it is "more than a “simple” book, but also a collector’s album."

If you are interested in the book please PM Konstantin (ucon) or Marek (mrys).

Best regards and have a nice reading

Attachments

• Ambulance.jpg
    Ambulance.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 94
  • VKP_01.jpg
    VKP_01.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 93
  • VKP_02.jpg
    VKP_02.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 84
always liked the Il-86 and its variants. Interested to see an ambulance version. is that an operating table in the centre of the aircraft?

always liked the Il-86 and its variants. Interested to see an ambulance version. is that an operating table in the centre of the aircraft?
Probably since that location would minimize vibrations that might cause problems.

Back
Top Bottom