Lockheed F-21, SAAB JAS-39 & Boeing F/A-18 – IAF Veteran Calls For Testing All Jets In India Before Acquisition

Pioneer

Seek out and close with the enemy
Reaction score
Lockheed F-21, SAAB JAS-39 & Boeing F/A-18 – IAF Veteran Calls For Testing All Jets In India Before Acquisition: OPED

https://www.eurasiantimes.com/lockheed-f-21-saab-jas-39-boeing-f-a-18-air-force-veteran/amp/

I particularly found the following not just intriguing, but completely sensible:

Lockheed (F-21), Boeing (Super Hornets), and SAAB (JAS-39 Gripen) will almost willingly accept the proposal, perhaps with modifications. But the moot point is: Has the military establishment considered such an option as a viable course of action?

Can we not tell the vendors that our trial criteria will be met only if they are willing to operate their machines in the Indian environment for sustained periods and/or stipulated flying hours? Showcasing these machines during air shows or performing some aerobatic maneuvers cannot be considered operational trials.

We should be looking to acquire weapon platforms that will meet our needs. We have already done something similar in the past.

-Similar standards should be applicable for the acquisition of Tanks, Artillery Guns, Ships, Radars, etc. We have the opportunity to ‘arm-twist’ the manufacturers, and I am certain they will fall in line.

-Nobody in the military establishment is ever held responsible for delays or cost overruns to the tune of billions of rupees. Officials merely complete their tenures and go on to yet another green pasture.

The acquisition process must undergo radical organizational changes to improve. Simply publishing newer editions of defense procurement rules will not resolve the issues.

Regards
Pioneer

They had used F-16IN earlier. I guess they wanted something distinctive to show that the new proposal was even more advanced. I would have offered F-16/21 (F-16 for the 21st Century) as being at least similar in styling to F-16/79. Or maybe F-25 or -26, as unused numbers in the USAF sequence that still convey an "advanced" vibe. But F-21 is just baffling all around.

isn't the F-21 supposed to belong to the Kfir? why not call it the F-24

isn't the F-21 supposed to belong to the Kfir? why not call it the F-24

It does, but the Lockheed F-21 isn't a DoD designation, so they can do whatever they want.

F-24 would clash with various rumored black aircraft (remember the infamous general's bio?)

They had used F-16IN earlier. I guess they wanted something distinctive to show that the new proposal was even more advanced. I would have offered F-16/21 (F-16 for the 21st Century) as being at least similar in styling to F-16/79. Or maybe F-25 or -26, as unused numbers in the USAF sequence that still convey an "advanced" vibe. But F-21 is just baffling all around.
Lockheed loves to do stupid attention getting naming stunts like that. For example, when the EELVs came online, Boeing logically named theirs Delta IV following their unsuccessful Delta III, while Lockheed went straight to Atlas V after Atlas III, just to have the bigger number.

If there was ever a good opportunity to hide a black program for a fighter aircraft it would have been to designate it as "F-21B" and everybody would just assume it was related to those Kfirs bough for aggressor use.

As for Lockheed's current F-21, I know it's commonly described as a Block 70/72 variant but does it include any of the features from the Block 60/62?

I must admit I've really lost track of what is going on with this Indian fighter competition. What was the reason they cut the order of the Rafales that they originally selected?

They called it F-21 to deceive and manipulate the indian public, since they give F-16 to India's arch-enemy Pakistan, so that designation would be fairly well known to the general public (and associated with Pakistan). Arrogant and disrespectful towards the indian people.

Lockheed F-21, SAAB JAS-39 & Boeing F/A-18 – IAF Veteran Calls For Testing All Jets In India Before Acquisition: OPED

https://www.eurasiantimes.com/lockheed-f-21-saab-jas-39-boeing-f-a-18-air-force-veteran/amp/

I particularly found the following not just intriguing, but completely sensible:

Regards
Pioneer

Even if understandable, this process will again take years until a decision is made, and then in a typical way the result based on what RfP issued, Indian politicians, the DRDO questions if not an indigenous solution can be purchased … so in the end - similar to the tanker RfP - another one will be issues, most likely with not much changed requirements, and oh wonder, the same result will be found!, which again initiates the whole discussion again …

Back
Top Bottom