If they are really serious about MIPCC, then they have a slight chance, at least on the engine side. It is a rather smart trick yet relatively straightforward. Most importantly it allows the use of a "classic" military turbofan with the usual Mach 2 speed; and then a not-too-complicated trick raise the speed to Mach 4 - something.

MIPCC is a chemical trick, not a mecanical one.

Now the airframe, that's something else entirely... titanium is difficult and expensive as frack, aluminum and composites would be toasted so - STEEL ? superalloys too but they might be expensive... although TBH, my humble knowledge stops circa 1975 with the end of the D-21 drone.
Note that back in 1998 NASA made damn interesting studies of pushing a D-21 to Mach 4 with a brand new engine.

Is that all stainless steel? I don't see any primer or paint.

Might well be. They talk here about using mostly Inconel 718 and titanium. It's a little vague on when they are talking about the airframe and when they are talking about the engine, but either way, lots of corrosion-resistant materials in use.

Last edited:
Grandiose announcements and a millimetric pace forward (now a prototype for high speed rolling & praying!).

Quarterhorse Mk 1 is an uncrewed, remotely piloted aircraft powered by a GE J85 engine. Its primary mission is to demonstrate high-speed takeoff and landing – a key enabling capability unique to future hypersonic aircraft on the company’s roadmap. Flight tests will take place at Edwards Air Force Base.

I wasn't aware that a Quarterhorse was in fact a millipede...

licensed-image

Quarterhorse galloping

Notice also that the Mk2, as rendered, has some dubious stability characteristics.

Last edited:
Grandiose announcements and a millimetric pace forward (now a prototype for high speed rolling & praying!).

I wasn't aware that a Quarterhorse was in fact a millipede...

licensed-image

Quarterhorse galloping

Notice also that the Mk2, as rendered, has some dubious stability characteristics.

Maybe they fail. I’m still interested in the technology - or rather reinventing an old arrangement. I think the fact the turbine-ramjet has not been explored more is a mistake, even if it turns out this particular company is a pump and dump.

Alex Hollings from Sandboxx has just put out a new video concerning the Hermeus:

Atlanta-based Hermeus has been making rapid progress toward fielding the world's first reusable, air-breathing hypersonic aircraft in their Quarterhorse technology demonstrator. Last month, the company revealed Quarterhorse Mk 1, the company's first flying prototype.
Let's talk about what that means, and why it's hard not to draw parallels between Hermeus today, and another legendary aircraft manufacturer.