Gaps in post-1962 US fighter series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vahe Demirjian

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
With regards to the designation for the Next Generation Air Dominance program, it's important to note that F-25 to F-34 remain unassigned (YF-24 has already been used for a classified USAF technology demonstrator and is best considered a cover designation like X-16 and U-2). When the final winner of the NGAD contest is announced, the DoD should assign the designation F-25A to the NGAS to avoid creating another out-of-sequence designation.

Vahe Demirjian said:
With regards to the designation for the Next Generation Air Dominance program, it's important to note that F-25 to F-34 remain unassigned (YF-24 has already been used for a classified USAF technology demonstrator and is best considered a cover designation like X-16 and U-2). When the final winner of the NGAD contest is announced, the DoD should assign the designation F-25A to the NGAS to avoid creating another out-of-sequence designation.

What is the point of this post, anyway?

If you meant to teach us something about the YF-24, well, I'm afraid there are over a dozen references to that designation on the forum already.
And when you say they "should assign", are you speaking from internal, first-hand knowledge of the things that should normally happen... or merely expressing a personal opinion that it really would be a good thing for them to do so?

If you were a DoD insider you wouldn't flaunt such a sensitive piece of data on a public forum, therefore I believe your aim was merely to give the DoD some sound advice. Well, bad news for you, buddy: the top brass do NOT wait upon Secret Projects members to make decisions.

So if you have nothing really valuable to add about the subject, instead of starting a new topic that will forever remain a one-liner, at least use the search engine beforehand and post your enlightened advice on a topic that already deals with missing designations. If you dig a bit you'll find some.

Oh, and by the way, I don't think it's very much like the DoD to go back over skipped designations to make our lists look tidier. I'm willing to bet they will merely take the mistake in stride and go for F-36 instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.