Explainers - YouTube and Blogs

Rhinocrates

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Since we often reference various YouTube channels and blogs in individual posts, I thought it might be useful to open a thread on channels and blogs. We all have different areas of expertise, a channel/blog that explains a particular discipline or range can help one understand what the experts are saying about their discipline. Maybe then we can recommend various sources that help non-experts to understand what the experts are talking about. Since so many are political or are saddled with personal concerns, I suggest these guidelines:

Is it relevant to this forum? That should be obvious. I personally like Simon's Cat, but if I mention it, it'll be in the Furry Avatars of Doom thread.

Are the people running/presenting the resource qualified in their field? Are they or have they been active in their field? Do they know what they're talking about? If they are not themselves, have they referenced other sources who are? Maybe there are interviews.

Is it well-researched? Is the information reliable? Do they provide corroborating links or caveats where the sources are uncertain or contested?

Is it informative? It provides an essential primer and/or it is abreast with current developments. Cutting and pasting of information easily available elsewhere is not enough.

X DESTROYS Y!!!! Oh please... NO. The same goes for listicles. Ranking might be OK if the criteria are clear and don't just boil down to 'coolness.' 'Listicle' sounds like a symptom of a sexually transmitted disease and is about as pleasant.

How well do they communicate? This can be script but also use of graphics, archival sources etc. Sometimes this can mean that they don't use too much stock graphics. Take Carl Sagan and Neil DeGrasse Tyson as exemplars - they speak well, are accurate, don't condescend, and the graphics they use are relevant and serve to illustrate and explain what they're saying. The YouTubers may not have high production budgets but you feel that the time you spent watching counted.

Is it (relatively) apolitical? To be fair, a complete absence of political content or framing is impossible but I suggest that ideally, it sticks to the topic and analysis. Interpretation describes but does not judge context, intention, and effect. Essentially, its aim is to explain, not persuade. A channel can discuss the Washington Naval Treaty without relitigating or advocacy in terms of goodies and badies as we have seen in discussions of that topic here. The same should be true as much as possible for contemporary issues. In the case where an ongoing conflict is the context, does the channel do its best to provide a rounded picture which is relevant to the intention of this forum? Rough guide: how would you explain something to a Martian?

Follow general forum rules. Following on from the previous criterion. No woo, no ancient aliens, no wunderwaffen, no advertising - either direct or indirect, no edgelording, no using this thread as an opportunity to indulge one's own obsessions. Sure, we all have our views and would like to advance them, but this isn't the only forum on the Internet and there are others that might be more appropriate soapboxes. At the risk of being a Gradgrind (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gradgrind), I recommend that there be no imaginary universes (Star Trek/Wars etc.), at least not on this thread. I don't hate it it there's so much of it that it could get out of hand.

Last edited:
Anyway,

Anton Petrov. Always clear, ALWAYS links to papers in or undergoing review for peer-reviewed journals.

Working astrophysicists:

My own academic background is in architecture (and literature, but that's not relevant here), so I recommend The B1M for its presentation of civil engineering. A lot of what it shows demonstrates that engineering is hard... but amazing.

The most recent post has been about the construction of a neutrino observatory under a mountain in Japan and explains not only how it's built but what it's for.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSYL0MHMwog

I just came across this today:

A very detailed presentation of the design and operation of the SR-71 on that channel, right down to 'what happens if I press this button?' I was very impressed:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkyVZxtsubM

Last edited:
The ones from my shortcuts bar:

Small arms of all kinds, from the common to the incredibly rare. Ian McCollum has access to places and collections other firearms blogs dream of.

Mostly Jonathan Ferguson, their Keeper of Small Arms, delving into the odder items of their collection.

What you'd get if Ian McCollum concentrated on WWI, though now moving backwards into the 19th Century

Military (mostly) small arms on the range. Josh is a competition shooter, Henry's an ex ordnance officer and long range shooter.

The Anglo/Swiss and Franco/Swiss perspective. Very good on British, French and Swiss historic firearms.

Irish-American (as in Irish, then American) armour officer does military vehicle history, often from inside the relevant vehicle. Features the always amusing can the 6' 8" Chieftain fit into the driver's position.

Naval history, age of sail to WWII

Historic blades from a historic combat instructor

Pretty tangential, but she's a stage combatant who does really good analyses of tv and movie fight scenes, and extremely sarcastic analyses of fantasy armour. Currently concentrating on having accidentally become a best-selling author, but she promises to get back to swords and stuff.

The ones from my shortcuts bar:

Small arms of all kinds, from the common to the incredibly rare. Ian McCollum has access to places and collections other firearms blogs dream of.

Mostly Jonathan Ferguson, their Keeper of Small Arms, delving into the odder items of their collection.

What you'd get if Ian McCollum concentrated on WWI, though now moving backwards into the 19th Century

Military (mostly) small arms on the range. Josh is a competition shooter, Henry's an ex ordnance officer and long range shooter.

The Anglo/Swiss and Franco/Swiss perspective. Very good on British, French and Swiss historic firearms.

Irish-American (as in Irish, then American) armour officer does military vehicle history, often from inside the relevant vehicle. Features the always amusing can the 6' 8" Chieftain fit into the driver's position.

Naval history, age of sail to WWII

Historic blades from a historic combat instructor

Pretty tangential, but she's a stage combatant who does really good analyses of tv and movie fight scenes, and extremely sarcastic analyses of fantasy armour. Currently concentrating on having accidentally become a best-selling author, but she promises to get back to swords and stuff.
You've nicked my bookmarks!

Chris

PS - Rhinocrates -please don't put yellow text on posts. Doesn't work in the black on white mode.

One smart guy is using flights simulators like DCS to recreate forgotten air battles, including in the jet era. He is very honest and transparent about DCS limits (no SHARs for Falklands, so he has to use AV-8Bs) and has historical facts right. Plus the DCS planes are stunningly beautiful, so what's not to like ?

Explanation of radar, jamming, stealth, infrared, radar warning receiver anything related to an aircraft. From how they works at surface level to incredible tiny details. Occasionally there are some several radar simulation added in

How stuff works, why they are designed a certain way, easy to understand and fairly accurate

A team of smart people using cartoon animation to explain nature stuff like black hole, the universe, bacteria

Whether or not they are sensationalised I still find them interesting and informative to watch.

I am curious, informative how or in what way? These videos rarely have information that you, as a participant in this forum, are not already aware of.

More often than not it seems like they troll this site (and others), google up some pics, and slap something together.

From those I have seen, not exhaustive I will admit, the majority are loud mouthed simpletons. They should imho, be on Ritelin and maintained in a place of safety with comfortable wallpaper.

Repeating nonsense at high rates of delivery and very loud (Often with appalling backing tracks) does not information of value make. Problem is the current environment not only allows this but gives every participant a Brucie bonus.

Last edited by a moderator:
More often than not it seems like they troll this site (and others), google up some pics, and slap something together.

I found one they probably didn't use the forum as a source for

hq720.jpg