English Electric Lightning main undercarriage details

the-tml

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
I am working on an animated 3D model of the English Electric / BAC Lightning and one problematic spot is how the moving bits of the main undercarriage move when it extends and retracts. I have the rotation axis of of the main oleo strut more or less correctly oriented and located, as the wheel ends up in a sane location and orientation. But the two-part radius rod is problematic. I have only photographs of the undercarriage when extended with the aircraft on ground. Anybody have pictures (or even drawings) of it in the retracted position?

Pictures and cutaway drawings seem to show that the lower pivot of the radius rod has its axis oriented in such a way that I can't really understand how it still manages to fold away into the wing neatly close to the oleo strut. And there are two more pivot axes, one in the middle of the radius rod where it bends (and where the lock is located) and one, obviously, at the attachment in the wing. But just getting the lower part correct first would be a good start;)

lightning_f.1_15_of_29.jpg
main-undercarriage-details.jpg

Last edited:
Lightning F1 undercarriage motion (geometry) and locks:

View attachment 709593
Thanks. I think I have seen that drawing, but I'd ideally need something with actual numbers, angles and measurements. Or photos or technical drawings from which such can be measured, instead of overview sketches.

I mean, even just knowing for a fact what the distances between the various pivot axes is (to an accuracy of, say, 5mm) would help a lot.

But yeah, just iterating until I have something that is close enough is probably the way to go... Nobody is hopefully going to took too closely at the way the radius rods move while extending or retracting anyway, in the Lighting the extension and retraction sequence was rather fast, I think I have seen in videos.

(Ah yes, it's from the "Aeroplane icons" series issue about the Lightning.)

Last edited:
Thanks. I think I have seen that drawing, but I'd ideally need something with actual numbers, angles and measurements. Or photos or technical drawings from which such can be measured, instead of overview sketches.

I mean, even just knowing for a fact what the distances between the various pivot axes is (to an accuracy of, say, 5mm) would help a lot.

But yeah, just iterating until I have something that is close enough is probably the way to go... Nobody is hopefully going to took too closely at the way the radius rods move while extending or retracting anyway, in the Lighting the extension and retraction sequence was rather fast, I think I have seen in videos.

(Ah yes, it's from the "Aeroplane icons" series issue about the Lightning.)
The Maintenance manuals may have that.

I'm sure the Lightning Preservation Group has them. If they have a plane they're working on, maybe they can film the gear swing checks.